Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Rebranding Ethnic Minorities...

Astaghfirullah!!! Brother Fidel do you believe in the buddhist teaching of incarnation or what or are you brainwashed too much by western culture. Anyhow iam sure that you aint lived before...

I'd liked to be called "Soomaali" because the constant ticking "others" feels a little bit being different and alien to me.

I know for sure that we Soomaalis are Arabs but isn't it shameful for someone too call himself Arab when his mother doesn't speak "Arabic" at all.

As Ski said we're are different then most other people because we'r neither caucausion nor negride but something in the middele.

My Aunt tells me everytime that we aint arabs but decendent from the Acient Egyptions (Phircoon) because of our pharaonic cults and heritage.

Like the word "Fir" which comes from "Fircoon".

Like the word "Fir" which comes from "Fircoon".

I agree to a certain degree but where we differ is the part where we are supposed to have come from the ancient egyptians.THEY CAME FROM US.This is why

Fir-geneology in somali

coon-old in Somali

meaning the old geonolgy or otherwards the old dynasty i.e the oldest empire.

Nafertiti once travelled up the nile to land of THE GODS to get the SMOKE OF THE GODS i.e to get incense.The land in question is Puntland or the land of Punt or the good smelling land.They regarded the insence as an item to be used and associated with only the GODS or in other words the PHAROAhS.By refering to Somalia as The land of Gods means she regarded it as the land of their ancestry since there was only one pharoah allowed at anytime in egypt,this suggests this is their ancestry and therefore we are their fathers not the other way around.

Laba-X   

Originally posted by Major-General Cawad:

I'd liked to be called "Soomaali" because the constant ticking "others" feels a little bit being different and alien to me.

Why tick other when you have the option of ticking Black African/Black British Major? Mise, you want "Somali" to be included in the options too?

Orgilaqe, i heard a somewhat similar story too. Frankincense and Myrrh was of particular importance to them at the time. The Arab settlers also called Somalia "Bilad as Sudan i.e "the Land of the Blacks.

Coon = Isn't that used to describe a "Short" person in Somali language, rather than old. It could also be used for a young person but with some intellect. I could be wrong!

Baluug   

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

I prefer Somali_Anything than Somali_Arab. Somali & Arab can't be in the same basket.

OK then,how's about Somali-Mongolian?

That's what I wanna be!!You can all start callimng me Genghis Khaalid!!

You have to distinguish between ethnic group and what STATE one has legal citizenship from.

For example to be called African-American means you are of African decent and have United States citizenship.

So there is no such a thing as a “Anglo-Somali†or “Somali-Arab†since there is no Somali State or a State called "Arab".

In Canada people are labeled and organized into groups – we are Somali-Canadians here. In Canada is you can be accused of being racist if you call someone ‘African’, you have to call them Somali-Cdn, Nigerian-Cdn, and etc. Whereas in the US it’s a melting pot, and the only ethnic brands that are prevailing are African American, general Americans (whites) and the Spanish community.

Somalis fall under the African American label – the side thing is that many of the Somalis in the US, hate, and disassociate themselves from African Americans.

you can be accused of being racist if you call someone ‘African’

What??

Whats so racist about one's being an African, Is a root and identity that I belong to, its where my fore fathers came from, an African I am and Somali born African.

No body is refusing that u belong to a country(Somalia) but you also belong to a continent, so why apart while u can partner and why divide while u can stay togetherness, Peace and love.

That’s what you get in Canada, the I’m okay your okay attitude – why couldn’t it just be a melting pot like the US. People are more likely to succeed there, whereas in Canada people are grouped into special groups and categories. Some groups have more rights and privileges through affirmative action programs.

A Somali girl is likely to get hired faster than anyone, A. because she is black B. she is Muslim, C. she is a female.