Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Rebranding Ethnic Minorities...

OG_Girl   

Good idea! I've been called Somali Arab. I love it cause I wont loose my original roots.

We have SyrianSomali family and their last name is "Al-somali"..Just normal typical Arab looking family but their grandfather was Somali who married Syrianlady.

Salam

Haddad   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

I've been called Somali Arab.

So, you have more Somali features than Arab? My observation is, Somali hybrids usually look like Indian or Bangladeshi.

OG_Girl   

LooL@Indians! They call us somali Arab cause we are mixed blood.

By the way I never seen Somali mixed who looks like Somali. We just look like our mothers. Seems Somali blood is not that thick to beggin with.

Salam

Sky   

OG Simpson

I think Haddad means that your Somaliness is more present in your appearance than usual Hybrids, because they're able to see your Somali heritage. Whereas with usual Somali Arab hybrids, you can't, because the Somali features that were similar to Arabs to begin with is not as apparent.

I have no clue what I just wrote, but I think you understand.

For all its worth my greatgrandfather was a Somali Arab hybrid, a Somali with an Arab mother. Yet he looked more Arab than Somali. His nickname was coined after his physical features. Can't name the nickname, because its my family name and that's private.

Branding is quite common in N,America.

Arab America/Asian[Chinese et etc] America

Somali American/Canadian

Cuban America...Mexican etc

Is this concept new to Yall?

Get used to profiling, This days they dont even go callin you names. They just use Celeberity names and go like.

"I was about to do this and this,when Jackie Chan & Queen Latifa here came yelling",or some shiite like that[i

*Disclaimer,actually this came from a black comedian on comic view

OG_Girl   

Sky, you just confused me now icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

You just said exactly what I said!! Ajeeb!

Plus I never heard somali heritage thing! :confused:

They call us SomaliArab because we like to be called that.We love and respect our roots whatever from Arabian side or Somali side. Even though I argue that Somali Are Arab too. I would love to be called Somali/Yemenian/Egyption icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

PS:Now, Now, my nick is OG_Girl, let us not call names here :mad:

Salam

Sky   

OG Simpson

Even though I argue that Somali Are Arab too.

Than you would have a big fight with my father. He argues that Somalis are Scandinavian-like Bantus. We are lighter, but Bantu we sure are.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I agree that we Somalis aren't Arabs either. We are from an ancient race that are separate from Semites and Bantus. Somalis being hybrids is a theory that can be dumped in the trash.

PS:Now, Now, my nick is OG_Girl, let us not call names here

I know OG Simpson , let us not call names. Good idea!

lol   

OG U r Somali_Egyptians....two loud voiced societies put together.. no wonder u r the product :D:D:D

As for the topic, I think having ur nationality put before your name is fair enough to say the least,... I mean comon...u r not British u have been naturalized.... so

I wanna be a

North-east African, Mogadishu, Madina born, Western Eurpean, English, North London, by a tube station -British Sunni Muslim

Castro   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

I wanna be a

North-east African, Mogadishu, Madina born, Western Eurpean, English, North London, by a tube station -British Sunni Muslim

I was born in Casa populare district in Mogadishu. The rest is a big blur of asylum applications and refugee hearings.

So y'all can call me Fidel il Conte di Casa Populare

Jacpher   

Originally posted by Fidel: I was born in Casa populare district in Mogadishu. The rest is a big blur of asylum applications and refugee hearings.

So you're not from Havana?

I prefer Somali_Anything than Somali_Arab. Somali & Arab can't be in the same basket.