Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Amazing Pictures of Borama

S-badne,

I suppose I missed the humour train on this one. For those that happen to see "HUNTY TOWN OR BUULO EELAAY" I happen to see a great city with a very important history..and where some might see just another Somali town. I see just that.. a Somali town and frankly that’s more then enough for moi.

Also I believe that Peacenow explained that he showed only the green lands.

Lastly,

Hate it or Love it…Borama is a beautiful city ( just like any other city is Somalia for that matter:)

Horta in badan ayaan arkay Soomaalida isku qaldeyso some terms about cities and towns and villages.

City = magaalo

Town = degmo

Village = tuulo

Hamlet = buulo

Boorama is a degmo.

Having said that, it looks good.

A.J.   

Boorame is a town now but i think with the developments its lately seeing due to the Awdal development organisations it is not far off from turning into a bustling city.

here is hoping that happens. i would love to go there sometime.

roobleh   

City = magaalo

Town = degmo

Village = tuulo

Hamlet = buulo

Boorama is a degmo

MMA,

I am afraid you did not get it right this time. If this was a guess, then you guessed it wrong. Borame is a not only a city, but is the capital city of Awdal.

Following is the definition of a city from Barron's Dictionary from answers.com

"In general: subdivision of a state, with its own local government. According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the average population of a city is 5000. Several cities can constitute a county. A city is usually chartered by the state." BARRON'S

The following description of Borama is from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on the internet:

"Boorama or Borama is a city in the Awdal region of Somaliland, near the border with Ethiopia. It is located at around 9°55′59″N, 43°10′54″E.

The population of Borama in 2001 was approximately 200,000 residents. Borama is the commercial center of an arid region in which livestock herding is mixed with subsistence farming.

Borama is an important education center and is the home of the historic Amoud University. The first postwar institution of higher learning throughout Somaliland."

I hope you all like Borame. I do!

Originally posted by roobleh:

quote:

I am afraid you did not get it right this time. If this was a guess, then you guessed it wrong.
Borame is a not only a city, but is the capital city of Awdal.

Wroooong! Yaa Rooble The capital city of G. Awdal is Baki.

Nice pictures :D

Originally posted by Lois Lane:

S-badne,

For those that happen to see "HUNTY TOWN OR BUULO EELAAY"
I happen to see a great city with a very important history..

Me too! 100%

Balla Chick,

Are you joking when you say this

Wroooong! Yaa Rooble The capital city of G. Awdal is Baki.

The capital is city of Awdal is Borama. Please show us where you found your claim above.

Originally posted by roobleh:

quote: City = magaalo

Town = degmo

Village = tuulo

Hamlet = buulo

Boorama is a degmo .

MMA,

I am afraid you did not get it right this time. If this was a guess, then you guessed it wrong.
Borame is a not only a city, but is the capital city of Awdal

Following is the definition of a city from Barron's Dictionary from answers.com

"In general: subdivision of a state, with its own local government. According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the average population of a city is 5000. Several cities can constitute a county. A city is usually chartered by the state." BARRON'S
Boorama is not magaalo; it never fitted a magaalo discription, either pre-war and post-war Soomaaliya.

Neither is it 'magaalo madax.' There is only one magaalo madax in Soomaali sense and that is Muqdisho. What you meant, however, is xarunta gobolka Awdal, which Boorama is not either. The last I knew in pre-war, it is some place called Baki. The reason aan loogu dhigin xarun, unlike most other gobolo's largest degmooyin, I think, has to do it being too close to Soomaali Galbeed and thus out of Itoobiya since there was always wars involved with them.

All other gobolo had xarun laga xukumo, not 'magaalo madax' or 'capital city.'

The classical definition of 'city' [magaalo] -- not the American government's definition of it, which has a political meaning behind it -- is a place that has at least 100,000 people. A 'town' [degmo] has less than that and between 10,000 [and sometimes 5,000]. A 'village' [tuulo] is between anywhere from five hundred to upto 5,000. A few hundred or tens is a hamlet [buulo].

Anybody can put anything on wikipedia. You shouldn't have quoted it.

Hunguri   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

Beautiful pics,I would love to buy a house there!

Hunguri, adigu ma hangool baad ku ilaalin sawirda Calmadow. Borama is aslo part of Somalia, and you should be proud!
;)

Loool@ Hangool. Ofcourse, Calmadow is where I was born. Hence, any violations of its rights reserved pictures should be avoided :D . Dabshid, Somalidaa ku maahmaahda "Ninba Ceesaantii Ceel keen" Adigu horta maxaad sawiro haysataa ?? looool Dubai iyo Sharjah sawiradeeda nagadaayoo bal meelahaa wax kasoo ururi ;) !!

Hunguri, adigu maxaad haysataa ??

where are those pictures of Calmadow, geed la rifay, laasqoray, badhan, hadaaftimo, damalaxagarre, xiin galool, ceel buh, ceel macaan, dhahar and banka saraar ???

or nobody goes there nowadays ?? :D:D

roobleh   

Posted by MMA:

Neither is it 'magaalo madax.' There is only one magaalo madax in Soomaali sense and that is Muqdisho. What you meant, however, is xarunta gobolka Awdal, which Boorama is not either. The last I knew in pre-war, it is some place called Baki. The reason aan loogu dhigin xarun, unlike most other gobolo's largest degmooyin, I think, has to do it being too close to Soomaali Galbeed and thus out of Itoobiya since there was always wars involved with them.

All other gobolo had xarun laga xukumo, not 'magaalo madax' or 'capital city.'

The classical definition of 'city' [magaalo] -- not the American government's definition of it, which has a political meaning behind it -- is a place that has at least 100,000 people. A 'town' [degmo] has less than that and between 10,000 [and sometimes 5,000]. A 'village' [tuulo] is between anywhere from five hundred to upto 5,000. A few hundred or tens is a hamlet [buulo].

Anybody can put anything on wikipedia. You shouldn't have quoted it.

Your above unsupported classical definition of a city describes it as a "place that has at least 100,000 people." So, what do you call a place like London. Are you aware that the city of London has a population of less than 10,000 people and is approximately just one square mile.

Borame is not only a bigger, but has a population of 20 times more than the population of London.

Since you have had no evidence for your claim, it was easy for you to resort to attacking sources with no releable counter evidence.

You said that "Anybody can put anything on wikipedia." And then you started attacking the Barron's definition because you do not want to believe the definition of a city from the Americans. So, tell me, where are you getting the evidence for your unsupported argument? Tell us where your sources are or just say that you were all making it up.

Lets not waste our valuable time for defending definitions based on the way you want them to be instead of basing on realities. When people try to insist doing this kind of argument without a prove, it makes other people wonder what they trying to prove to them by circling around.

With do respect, as a SOL Moderator, you supposed to come across unbaised individual when defending your point.

And I am sure you lost it when you claimed Mogadishu is the only city in Somalia. The reality is that Hiiran, Kismayo, and Galkacyo plus others are all qualified to be called cities in anywhere of the world and in Somalia. Only when you are able to grap this, then we will be able to continue to have productive discussions.