Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Somalia’s Pirates Flourish

Ashkiro   

"This year, Somali officials say, pirate profits are on track to reach a record $50 million, all of it tax free."

"“All you need is three guys and a little boat, and the next day you’re millionaires,” said Abdullahi Omar Qawden, a former captain in Somalia’s long-defunct navy."

"People in Garoowe, a town south of Boosaaso, describe a certain high-rolling pirate swagger. Flush with cash, the pirates drive the biggest cars, run many of the town’s businesses — like hotels — and throw the best parties, residents say. Fatuma Abdul Kadir said she went to a pirate wedding in July that lasted two days, with nonstop dancing and goat meat, and a band flown in from neighboring Djibouti.

“It was wonderful,” said Ms. Fatuma, 21. “I’m now dating a pirate.”

Source

BOB   

They want to glamorise dating, boyfriend and girlfriend and above all qaadicul dariiqnimo miyaa hada?

Dadku markey diin la'aan noqdaan they lose their sense thus failing to differentiate between RIGHT and WRONG.

Allow dadkeena sidaan u dhaan oo naga qaad jahliga iyo dulmigan nagusoo hagoogtay...Allow wadada toosan nagu hag oo naga saar cudurkan qabiil ee na gumaaday Insha Allah.

Peace, Love & Unity.

nuune   

If pirates are protecting our sea, how come they hijack ships that are destined for Somalia to distribute food to poor people!

You can say they hijack the ships then they pay the ransom, and then distribute the food to poor Somalis, that is horrible, that ship will never come back to Somali shores, who is the victim now!!

ANTARA   

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

$50 million? Really? Seems a bit farfetched.

LMAO @ "I'm now dating a pirate." Ha ha ha.
:D

Which obviously puts all the isbaaro men out of business as well as all those faaraxayo who work tirelssly 7 days a week just to find and impress da qalanjo of their dreams. meesha waxbaa ka dhacey.

Bal ana xabad hagbad ururisaa han doontee wey iskaga haagagi lahaayeen arrimuhuye.

SEP_28_2008.jpg

http://www.aminarts.com/SEP_28_2008.htm

Originally posted by nuune:

If pirates are protecting our sea, how come they hijack ships that are destined for Somalia to distribute food to poor people!

You can say they hijack the ships then they pay the ransom, and then distribute the food to poor Somalis, that is horrible, that ship will never come back to Somali shores, who is the victim now!!

I would prefer they didn't hijack aid ships, but they have my support for hijacking illegal trawlers and ships that dump toxic waste in somali waters. That's where they get majority of the money, anyways.

Fabregas   

^^If the freedom fighters, oops I mean PIRATES, could make a little money from dumping waste in Somalia's ocean- then they wouldn't hesitate to take such an opportunity. They are khat chewing, profiteers, period.

Originally posted by B_G:

^^If the freedom fighters, oops I mean PIRATES, could make a little money from dumping waste in Somalia's ocean- then they wouldn't hesitate to take such an opportunity. They are khat chewing, profiteers, period.

Freedom fighters? Those are your words, but I suppose if suicide bombers who stone innocent girls like Al shabab are freedom fighters according to some then perhaps the burcad badeed are freedom fighters as well.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by B_G:

They certainly are all that but if their activites deter or at least give pause to illegal trawlers and waste dumpers - they've done some good. That is the point the poster is trying to make.