Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

A Question for all you Torontonians

Baluug   

After much contemplation and reflection(about 4 hours of it :D ), today I decided to make the jump. That is, I have made an informed decision to move to Toronto in 6 months time. I graduated from the country lifestyle to the big city and now that I've been here for close to 5 years, I'm getting bored with it. Calgary may be the land of opportunity with tons of jobs but honestly this place is getting more expensive every month, the cost of living has skyrocketed over the last 2 years, and I see no tangible benefit to being here anymore.

At least in the past I could've defended this place by saying that it's cheaper, which it's not anymore, actually it's more expensive than Toronto and Vancouver, and that this is where all the jobs are, but who cares? It's not like I can do 5 jobs or anything like that, and the job that I do have isn't gonna take me anywhere, and I know that.

So I figure that if I'm not doing that much out here, I should move somewhere that at least looks better, and has much more of a Somali and Muslim presence, which I want for my kids.

Obviously this decision of mine was helped along by my ex-wife's constant reminders that she never liked Alberta since she moved here and if she leaves, she's taking the kids with her, and wherever my kids go, I go too.

But I'm not just following her out east. I'm doing this because I feel I need a change of scenery and I need the Somali/Muslim presence as much as my kids need it for the sake of my own iman, which is faltering at times. So I guess in a very, very loose sense, I'm doing a sort of hijra as well.

Now I'm not the most educated man on this planet but I'm not necessarily lacking in the skills department as I've done all sorts of jobs and have earned some qualifications which help land jobs that others may not get(at least I hope they will).

With that being said, the question I have is this: What kind of a job could a person with no post-secondary education such as myself get in a place like the GTA? Do you think I could eventually make half-decent money after a while, or should I expect to be stuck at $12/hour doing some sh*tty factory job 5 years down the road?

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Tagsiile:

wherever my kids go, I go too.

Ohhh, how sweet is that!!!R U sure the kids are not just an excuse to follow your ex where ever she moves to? just a thought, don't mind me...lol

With that being said, the question I have is this: What kind of a job could a person with no post-secondary education such as myself get in a place like the GTA? Do you think I could eventually make half-decent money after a while, or should I expect to be stuck at $12/hour doing some sh*tty factory job 5 years down the road?

As a Torontonian (lived here for 17yrs - well actually minus 2yrs that I lived in Minesodha), it all depends on your educational background plus related experience to the field(s) you're interested in...With that said, if you think you can make $12/hr at a sh1tty factory job, YOU BETTER THINK AGAIN...The most you can make at a such place $8-$9/hr, at the absolute most may be $10/hr...

I don't know if you've ever lived here in Toronto, but I would suggest that you start sending your Resume well in advance…It takes a while to get a decent paying job with attractive benefits…OR, there is always that wonderful, be your own boss job, you know you can always work as TAGSIILE… :D:D

Good luck...Waxuu khayr kuugu jirana Allaha kuu fududeeyo...

Aaliyyah   

Do you think I could eventually make half-decent money after a while, or should I expect to be stuck at $12/hour doing some sh*tty factory job 5 years down the road?

If you don't have any post secondary education, it would be hard to attain a well-paying job, and that is not just in Toronto but anywhere regardless. However, if you have experience as you pointed out perhaps you might be able to get a decent job depends on the employer and how they perceive you at the time.

Anyways, good luck with your interviews and as Kool Kat indicated above it is good to email your resumes in advance.

--------------------

The world is nothing but a blink of an eye. Where the here-after is eternal

Go get and drive a truck. And if you are complaining about expensive living, don't come to Koronto then, either.

Yes, the price of quality of living in Alberta in general -- particularly in Edmonton and Calgary -- have skyrocketed the last few years, especially the rental market, burdended by too many people moving from other provinces, however their, Alberta's, minimum-skill, minimum wage paying jobs are still way well ahead those paid in Koronto. I even heard Tim Horton's minimum wage is $15 per hour in Alberta.

Kool_Kat   

Ee fiirsha idinka, bacdal Ramadaan, welcome to Toronto party wiilka ma ugu tuurnaa...Just a thought, again don't mind me...

MMA, I heard they start at $12/hr...Regardless, much much better than Toronto...Lakiin xeykuugu taalaahee, gasacii malaayga aa adna $3 ku gadahee...Yaayah...Torontodeeydaa igu og tahay, till I die or win the lotto, whichever comes first... ;)

Baluug   

I even heard Tim Horton's minimum wage is $15 per hour in Alberta.

LOL I've already got a dead-end job, I don't need another one. I've also heard that Timmy's is hiring for $16/hour actually, but for the most part those fast-food and service-related jobs are still $8-$9/hour over here. One of the reasons why these companies can't find workers is that they still think they can find people for such low wages but lots of other places are paying a lot more.

Remember guys, I'm not actually looking for a better job. If that's what I wanted, I'd stay here and look for one. What I'm hoping for is to be where I'm at right now, in Toronto, in a couple of years. I know I'll have to start at the bottom again and work my way up like I did when I came to Calgary, and I'm definitely not expecting to start at any more than $12-$13/hour. BTW Kool Kat, I did a quick search on google and saw quite a few jobs that I'm qualified for that start at up to $13/hour, so that's good news. At least it's better than $8.

I'm not necessarily looking for a better financial situation in Toronto, but Toronto has far more attractions, things to do, halal restaurants, and much more Somalis and Muslims, so basically I could enjoy my life a little more over there, and pay the same amount to live,if not less in a few years, because Calgary's cost of living is still increasing. And like I said before, it can only be a good thing for me and my kids to be around more Muslims and more masjids.

If all else fails, I can always come crawling back to my parents in Alberta :D And then i could always dust myself off and try again, I'm not afraid of failure. But that's only as a last resort, as in if I'm so broke that all I have is enough money for the bus to make it back.

Go get and drive a truck.

That is actually something I am thinking about as well. I don't have a truck, but I have a van and usually courier services take van drivers as well. If I can find a courier company that would take me on as an owner-operator, I would do that. But I would have to learn Hindi and Urdu first :D:D

homie u need a working xalimoo! neamean... they cheap. shanti kumee labadee taano...i call them chinese... and your x will give mo mo of that r e s p e c t..

win win situation! go to somalinet and apply for that first. this is on de house! dont mention it.

ffm -- for live.

Baluug   

LOL Rudy, you're a nutcase, but yeah, you reminded me of something. My chances of finding a xaliimo in Toronto are much better. :D

Baluug   

Another thig which I forgot to ask is, where is a safe place to live? Most likely I'm going to move to Etobicoke or North York, but the only thing I really know is to stay the hell away from Jane and Finch :D

-Lily-   

I would advise you to get any decent job and try to do a relevant evening course, in the long run this will improve your prospects and the quality of your life. That goes for anywhere.

Kool_Kat   

Warheedhe Tagsiile, I am bit confused...At one point you are saying:

I've already got a dead-end job, I don't need another one.

And then you go on to say:

Remember guys, I'm not actually looking for a better job. If that's what I wanted, I'd stay here and look for one. What I'm hoping for is to be where I'm at right now, in Toronto, in a couple of years.

Aa WHAT!!!

As for working as a courier, there are a lot of jobs here if you have your own vehicle, and you do...But, if I can advise you on one thing is to say a far way as you can from those HINDIs...They will work you like a slave and rib you off...There are other well established companies you work for...Just my thought... ;)

RUDY, as usual loooooooooooooooooooooool...

Originally posted by Peplow throb:

U should check out London

Which LONDON, London, ON - OR - London, England...Either one, you ALMOST made me laugh...

PS, certainly no offence to Londoners ...