Sign in to follow this  
silverman

WHY ARE FEW SOMALIS IN COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITES?

I THINK THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT MOST OF THEM LUCK THE BASIC EDUCATION. SO THEY END UP DROPPING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL AND THEY PUT IN THEIR MIND THE PECEPTION THAT COLLEGE IS ONLY FOR THA SMART PEOPLE.TO ALL MY SOMALIS TRY UR BEST AND STAY IN SCHOOL

CONCERNED BROTHER.

I also think the problem comes from their families. They aren't supportive enough or don't believe in college/universities. Especially for young women.

In my case, I look at my mother, who went to college TWICE! So I feel like, college is a natural part of life.

You don't need to be smart to go to college, you just need common sense and good study habits.

;)

SoMa_InC   

I know a uni in ma manor where half of da students r malis

anywayz adiday sup bro? u lost da way huh?...ama pm u soon.

shyhem   

Education in America is all about money and some of us have no money,we're cheaper than Kmart stocks so u shouldn't be surprised if we ain't educated.

OG Moti   

Somalis are smart and capable of being whatever they want, the problem is laziness, and as one of the nomads said it is about money bro it is not many cause in western word you guys got chances like scholars and student loan, so the excuse is not justified, i think it is laziness...

peace

NoVa   

Sup all

I don't know about u all, but all I c' everyday is alot of Qaxooti students at Univ. and Colleges....there are many of us in my city and i'm sure there are many many many MORE in other cities around the world.

SOme of u guys have good points there and I just thought i'll add mine. Well schools NOT for everyone and I came to understand this because look at all the lower job's..for example factories...who works there?? people that don't have any kind of diploma's and degrees..If everyone had some kind of degree then who'll do those jobs???..Be serious now...U gotta have those that Society thinks have a lower standards of education and many times they were selected to be like that at younger age....remember back at school..there were teachers that'll put u down for no reason, sometimes even families will put u down too'....and friends will make u think u a nothing but a loser. One faces the hopes of having any education at all cuz they think they might be dump....FOr them they might think they don't have the SKillz or what it takes to have some kind of Education. Motivation wasn't something they were raised when it come to school. The concept of continueing any further education wasn't their proierity and thats why finishing high school was a big accomplishment for many of them.

OG yea they can borrow it, but for some people, the interest is always a factor for them and thats one of the reason they don't bother borrowing money to go to school. Don't be saying that's not an excuse for them. it's a reasonable uunderstandable.

Others might not go to school cuz they face the problems of sending money back home. U all know those Long-distance calls that always come late at night's ....U cant' say no 2 ya mom or ayeeyo' when they ask u to send them money for food. Therefore ya gotta work ya azz off 2 pay Extra Bills there.

Nazra   

I agree with Og-moti. But then again,

who chooses to go uni/college can make it.

I guess many lack in achieving there goals or maybe setting them. End of the day, it's ur problem.

about somali-students,

when 60% of the population is illerate...i'm sure they are keen to folllow there parents steps or make a change.

Or simply not even try.

Though, this is true. One of my malayasian friend asked me ths too. I guess i was the first somali she met, or something.

Cause she did say "there not alot of somali's in uni'

JASMIINE   

I disagree with the poster. Where am from people are actually surprised how many somalians go to college and univ. i can say that almost all the somalians i went to high school with went to college or univ compared to the African Americans.

Am Out

Thanks for the replies people. But Nova, do u want ur somali to be the low standard pple in the society.U want ur pple to wash rest rooms forever cause they never went to college. So bro, we get face the reality here, working is not an excuse for not going to college. What about other communiites for instance the Ethoipians, they are not better than us yet they are alot of them in colleges and uni in every state u go. So I urgue my somalis bros and sisters, especially those whi in hi school to pursue their education in college so that they can be a role model for their children in their near future.

Ma'asalam.