Sign in to follow this  
Gheelle.T

innaa lillaah, Xirsi Magan has died

Sophist   

Inaalilaahi wa Inaa ileyhi raajicuun! My old friend has gone; a sad day for those who were fortunate enough to have known him.

I have first met the legendary man many moons ago outside Whitechapel masjid with couple of old Somali ‘Sea-men’ who were transfixed by his flowerily lucid language. His departed, was discussing a subject that was close and dear to him- the superiority of the Osmania to the prevailing Latin script. He recounted couple examples which were plausible. I knew, I was with a company of a great man. Our friendship began that day. And till that fateful summer’s day, though I was in my mid 20s, unlike the men in his generation he never made a comment regarding my youth, he was always interested in discussing the issue not the person. He was logical, coherent and had oftentimes made me feel I was nothing but a simpleton on matters pertaining Somali history and Literature—not an easy feat I tell you!!. What was impressive about Hersi was that he had a good command of variant topics; from Metaphysics to Religion to Anthropology (the subject he read at that Ivy League institution Columbia University). Unlike many of his ilk, the Marxuum was a very humble but a decisive man. Not man to mince his words, but never delivered an oration adorned with emotional diatribe, his tool was persuasion though logic.

Hersi’s jovial personality together with his indubitable scholarship won him many friends- old and young. Myself, as someone who has a deep-seated interest in all things Somali; particularly history and language, Hersi was a breath of fresh air; a welcome change from the old Somali men with paltry significance. I was addicted to the old man’s wisdom; his enlightening humour together with his enviable energy- even in his old age, our departed comrade wrote extensively and he revised continuously on earlier versions of Osmania.

Hersi Magan was deeply religious man with immense passion of knowledge and unique inspirational ability. He was one of the smartest people I have had the pleasure to meet. He will be a great loss to his family, friends and indeed Somali scholarship. May the one who has taken him away from us furnish him all that is great in the hereafter Aamiin.

Aaliyyah   

May Allah swt have mercy on his soul and grant him the highest level in Jannah!!

sabar iyo imaana dadkiisa haka siiyo..

Cawaale   

Allah u Naxariisto Dr.Xirsi. indeed He will be a great loss to his family, friends and Soamli scholarship. Sabar iyo Iimaan Allaah ka siiyo Eheladiisa iyo Asxaabtiisa.

Emperor   

Inaa lilaahi Wa inaa Ilahay Raajacuun, a great loss indeed, Sophist brother, having had the opportunity to meet and enjoyed to share conversation with the Old man for many years, I compeletely concur with your sentiment, "Kullu Nafsin daa'iqatul Mawt"...

Ilaahay ha unaxariisto, Janadiisana haka waraabiyo, Aamiin.