Sign in to follow this  
Pujah

$5,000 for every U.S. baby born

Pujah   

Money would be used for college or a house downpayment

WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday that every child born in the United States should get a $5,000 "baby bond" from the government to help pay for future costs of college or buying a home.

Clinton, her party's front-runner in the 2008 race, made the suggestion during a forum hosted by the Congressional Black Caucus.

"I like the idea of giving every baby born in America a $5,000 account that will grow over time, so that when that young person turns 18 if they have finished high school they will be able to access it to go to college or maybe they will be able to make that downpayment on their first home," she said.

The New York senator did not offer any estimate of the total cost of such a program or how she would pay for it. Approximately 4 million babies are born each year in the United States.

Clinton said such an account program would help Americans get back to the tradition of savings that she remembers as a child, and has become harder to accomplish in the face of rising college and housing costs.

She argued that wealthy people "get to have all kinds of tax incentives to save, but most people can't afford to do that."

What do you think? Link

Blessed   

They have the same thing in England, which is probably where she got the idea from. They give 250ponds when your child is first born and then another 250 or is 500 when they are 7. You put it in a special child trust fund account and make your own contributions and only the child can withdraw the money when they reach 18.

There's even a sharia -compliant baby bond. With the increasing cost of university education this is a great idea, it encourages parents to plan ahead.

The money would probably come out of taxes.

$250 pounds is about $500 american... but $5,000 for every baby is ****yn insane and very unrealistic. Their country is in a defeciet(sp) right now, sooo if she did say that i think its very very unrealistic.

Before you nomads start spreading rumors, let me just say that Hilary spokesperson said this is just an idea, its not an official proposal, its something she is toying with to get the hype going, as many other ideas were thrown by her the last several months.

These democratic candidates are jokes, they are all full of ideas but no one has yet mention how these wonderful ideas will be paid?

Hilary's Health Care plan alone will cost billions of dollars and has yet to confirm how and where she will get approx $66 billion combined over a 10 yr span for doubling the current budget.(this figure is just for health care alone)

American voters are airheads, but even they will catch up to these phonies they call candidates for presidency sooner or later.

Not nearly enough. If you had + $60 billion yearly in health care alone for over a 10 yr period, not to mention transportation, education etc are some of the changes she mentioned she would make, any tax bracket will not cover that up. I will not believe fairytales, but hey, I am not the one who has to pay for her lies after her plan goes down hill, its you.(I will only say "I TOLD U SO")

PS:Her budget overrall is over $100 billion yearly, one of the highest among her peers

Cara.   

^Don't fall for the tired old Republican strategy of painting Democrats as fiscally irresponsible. Bush is planning to "balance the budget" by cutting health insurance for needy children (a piddling $5 billion) while simultaneously spending more than a trillion taxpayer dollars invading countries.

And if her expensive budget turns out to be "lies" then presumably we wouldn't be paying for them dontcha think?

Pujah   

I think its great idea and could work with some restrictions on who gets it and what they can do with it. It would be best if it’s targeted to the poor that couldn’t afford to start any kind of savings for their off springs ( yeah I know those people shouldn’t have kids in the first place but go with me here for a sec). Let’s say poor family is one that has household income below the poverty guidelines and obviously household in that income level will already be on welfare so wouldn’t this be great way to assure the next generation will be off the system. Now think about it $5000 today is nothing but if invested wisely and taking into account the power of compounding interest it could be worth 40 to 60k in 18 to 20 years. That kind of money gives the poor kid a lot of options to invest it at that time, to start their own business, use it for tuition or for down payment on a primary house. Restrictions would be that parents can not touch that money no matter what and if the kid dies before the funds can be accessed it goes back to the government.

PS, lazy funny you speak against this cuz as far as I know the Canadians have similar programs ;)