Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

My Mom, My CV and Sharif-Mahdi - A story

Abtigiis   

It is now seven years since I acquired the proof to my hard work, what I like to call the ‘Success Curve’ but others - mostly young brainwashed and westernized kids, loathe so much. They have so many pejorative terms for it, pot-belly, infertile protuberance, abdominal-epilogue to name but few. But my mother is still adamant hard work has nothing to do with my achievements so far. One proof of that, for her, is my latest failure to get a job I applied for. I didn’t tell her about it and she thinks if I have done that, her prayers would have sufficed; for it was the month of Ramadan. She wouldn’t have bothered Sharif-Mahdi, the local Sufi to intervene. The last time I applied for a job I really needed as a matter of death or life, Mom paid Sharif-Mahdi five dollars daily for three full months for his role in my promotion.

Well, we will soon see how much effect the Sufi’s meditation has on my career progress. I am seeking a high profile job and this time I really don’t mind how I get it. I don’t mind who gives the job to me – my mom’s prayers, the Sufi or my CV. I am that desperate.

All along I prided myself on my work ethics and qualifications. And, a lot of luck! Now, I am not so sure anymore. It is the case that in almost all the instances when I did not inform my mom of my intentions, I failed interviews. It can’t be a coincidence. So, I have told mom to use all at her disposal to make this happen. One potential challenge is the sickness of my uncle, her brother. She may have to fight on many fronts and that could potentially diminish the potency of her prayers. In any case, the need for Sharif-Mahdi’s intervention is getting ever more apparent.

One thing I don’t like about Sharif-Mahdi is the infinite conditions he imposes on Mom and through her on me for his work to bear fruit. He is now saying I should wear green socks from now till the day I hear from my potential employers. He says I should avoid the internet for this duration. I don’t believe in superstitions but in order not to give the Sufi any pretexts if things don’t turn out good, I have been avoiding the internet; even the SOL I love so much! But I realize I need it more than any time to prepare for the interview if short-listed. So, it is a tricky situation. It is damn-if-you-do, damn-if-you-don’t situation. The green socks stuff is weird but doable.

But the sufi is harassing the old women. He is saying she needs to sacrifice one goat every week on Fridays until such time he puts me in the position I want. Given that the process could take upto three months, that comes to somewhere between a dozen to fourteen goats in total. That would not have been so bad but he also says the sick uncle needs separate goats as the purposes of his prayers are different and he doesn’t want to cause confusion. Confusion to who? I don’t know.

Anyway, I don’t mind SOL prayers too. Cid lagu jiro Allaa og. For some reasons, I have always thought Nuune got an Awliyo side. Awliyos fly and I know he is a pilot. But that is not why I think he is one. It is just a feeling. Maybe it is because of the quaint Xadro lyrics he recited on this forum sometime ago. The hurjum, harjac stuff! :D

Tuujiye   

A&T, saaxiib magacii qaali ahaa maxaad u badashay?... kolee you have lots of explaining to do ee bal iskeen goobtii!!...

ilaahey garabkaada ha galo duqa!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Kool_Kat   

Green socks? Tell the Sufi that St Patrick's Day has long came and passed, and it ain't coming back in the next three months!

Good luck! Waan kuu duceyn lahaa laakiin waxaan ka baqi iney ducada A&T aado saa aniga Colonel Ali Sabarey aqoon uma lihiyee...

Ps, ilaahay wixii shar ah haka leexiyo dhinacaaga, wixii kheyr kugu jirana hakuu sahlo...

Malika   

Good luck A&T, when you get there dont forget us..lol

hmmm,so if you get the job, will it be down to the Mahdi or your abilities?

Do people still do this?

AT, ignore the Sufi -the Exploiter. Wadaad condition-no wata waa laga fiican yahay, I trhink you should stick to mum's powerful prayer only. Good luck sxb

Walle Sufi haddaad wax ku darsatay sheekaa ku haysata. Khuraafaadkaa iyo duco intaa iskaga baxdid, prepare for the interview and wait and see.

Cara.   

Aw, all the sweet daacad people wishing you luck :D

I know you get these comments a lot A&T, but you need to get published. The style is very unique and I have a soft spot for droll self-deprecation. Have you read Confederacy of Dunces?

Abtigiis   

Cara, adigu ilaahay ha daad taqaan ha ii duceeyn. Lama aqbalayo taadee ha iga shaashayn. :D:D

Malika, salaams sis. waa la kala loomay and I truely missed you when I was away from SOL on the instructions of the Sharif.

It's been said that prayer is the ulimate rocking chair - gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere. It's is a way for people to feel like they're doing something when they're really not doing anything. Works wonders for a worried conscience, distracting and assuaging it.

For the most part, the gestures and rituals are harmless, albeit preposterous. But in some instances, such pious distractions can be fatal and calamitous. One woman refused medical surgery for her ectopic pregnancy (thought God put the fertilized egg in the wrong place for a reason) and prayed for a healthy child, despite the life-threatening risks her doctors warned her about. She died. Now, most people aren't obtuse enough to choose prayer (doing nothing) when a real solution is available.

If Abtiga has exhausted all real options in terms of his job application (CV, interview preparation, and the like), then there's no harm in induldging his mother's shaman, the good Sufi. Prayer is only detrimental if it hampers or hinders you from exploring actual options.

Abtiga, let the mystic do all the praying while you do all the preparing. Good luck. Allaa macakum, as the hopeful slogan goes. :D

Abtigiis   

This is not how it was supposed to happen. Dadkan aan ducada laga aqbalayn yaa yidhaa iga daaya ducadiina. Of all people, Prometheus is the last person I want to do any prayers on my behalf. For I am certain his mere involvement will neutralise what the pios Sharif Mahdi is doing.

I didn't say I hate Prometheus's ideas and analysis, but I think it is the wrong time for him to come and support me, if he has any genuine good-will towards me.

looooooool@rocking chair!

Abtigiis   

I am aware of my weaknesses. When I up my English at least to Ngonge's level if not Prometheus, than it will be realistic to aim for such things. I am no short of ideas, but the English has to get better to do what you think I can do.

Thanks for the accolades though. But put your prayers behind me. You C&H is a bintu saalixan, samadaa furane ducee.

STOIC   

Great Read AT&T ( i didn't know you changed your name)..

This Suufii talk reminds me of the salafiis and what their responds to your writting will be.."Akhi you are takfiri...the suufiis are lost cause..You need to work on your manhaj...I'll quote the great ulama like Ibn Baaz and Al Fauzan if you need"...

Now I'm not that knowledgeable, but far too often I have seen the Salafi sect talk down on the Suufiis and anyone with different view point..One aspect I love about the Suufiis is the spiritual aspect of spending time in doing dhikr (of course individual and NOT the group choir)...I have attended many Salafi dacwa and I only leave their lectures more confused.Honestly I care less about what an Imam in Saudi says.I want to grow spiritually and learn more about Tawheed Rubuubiya and Tawheed Uluhiyyah

(worship)...Teach me how I can worship my lord both inward and outward, but please spare me the inner fighting and refutations of Islamic scholars..I'm a common ignorant muslim that cares on his sincere worship to his lord...