Sign in to follow this  
Born Friday

Stress...

We all know what stress is because we have all, to a greater or lesser extent experienced it. Nevertheless, defining it is not easy because when the term is applied to humans, we need to take account of our psychological reactions to demanding events and our appraisal of such situation.

As i understand it, stress is our emotional and physiological reactions to situations in which we feel in conflict or threatened beyond our capacity to cope or endure.

Last Friday, i had an importand presentation to give. I worked on it all week, every single hour of the day. But on Saturday, instead of relaxing i was still stressing about it. I woke up at six and kept thinking about it "what i could have done better and so on". I simply couldnt sleep even though i was exhausted, ain't stress pain in the $%&**^%$%?

How do you cope with stress? Whats your best stress reliever of all time?

Urban   

when i give presentations to my class of 140+ students, i always read 'Aayat al-Kursi' continuously before i start, calms me down.

when i feel stressed, i start drawing/painting to take my mind off things. playing video games with my friends helps me unwind too.

AbStraCt   

Go outside and poke fun at the pit bull down the block, which so happens that the owner forgot to tie up.........haha, you'll forget about your stress......THAT'S A GUARANTEE OR YOUR MONEY BACK.....well not money, but you know what i mean

Maf Kees   

Almost everybody is terrified, horrified and petrified of giving presentations. I usually try to break the ice for myself by starting with a joke. This will make you feel more comfortable and you'll find yourself having fun once the class is laughing. Don't be afraid of forgetting a point or two. Just admit you forgot something and you'd like to add it now in a very articulate and organised manner.

Exams are a different story. No matter how hard I study, I always expect to fail the exam.

Hanging out with your friends is the best way to forget about all this bullshidh. When you're alone, playing videogames is the best. Better than TV or Internet.

Originally posted by the-urban-hang-suite:

when i give presentations to my class of 140+ students, i always read 'Aayat al-Kursi' continuously before i start, calms me down.

when i feel stressed, i start drawing/painting to take my mind off things. playing video games with my friends helps me unwind too.

Salaam,

Urban.H.S

Very true "Ayat Kursi" is the greatest Ayah in Quraan, and a very calming perscribtion.

Born Friday,

Walaal,

1 - Remembrance of Allah is Magnificant, Quraan telling us so ---> 13:28 {"Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah. for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction."}

2 - Feel the feeling and DO what you suppose to do, it won't bother you long when all it comes to end so soon! so why worry when you can pray as they say.

Wa Salaaam

Modesty   

Born Friday, if you think about something and worry about it your body will naturally turn on it's fight or flight mechanism. I remember I used to be so nervous when I gave presentations, I would think about it all night the before, I got all these butterflies, then when I go to make the speech, my heart would be pounding, hands sweaty, and I would start off with a quaky voice. I used to avoid it like the flu walahi. So, I decided to take action, I signed up for all these classes that would require some type of public speaking, and eventually I became less stressed over it, I think because I quit caring about my image and how others view me, and you know what talking with many people in my class I found out that many people felt the same way. Knowing that I was in the same boat as all of my classmates put me at ease. So, now I love public speechs, walahi it gives you this thrill that you can't describe, and when you make a great presentation you come out feeling good. :D So, stop analyzing yourself and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Modesty like yourself i used to hate speaking in public, but i have fortunetly overcome that now. I found nerves are mainly due to not knowing much or knowing little about chosen topic. I was not stressed because i was nervous of giving a presentation but i had a lot riding on that presentations. But the annoying thing was i kept stressing about it still, even it was too late to have done anything.

Sharmaarke walaal thats good advice thank you.

Foxy   

My be its about time U go and hit a bunching Bag or take it out on your local corner shop attendent, just tell them U are having a bad day and were told by someone, that it helps to vent your stress out on the first person U see in the morning

cheers

PS its not an advisable action at all, just mocking you

My be its about time U go and hit a bunching Bag or take it out on your local corner shop attendent, just tell them U are having a bad day and were told by someone, that it helps to vent your stress out on the first person U see in the morning

LOL Foxy, im so bad at taking my anger out on some one... especially "shop assistants/customer service reps, one of these days i wanna see how the other half "the angry bunch" feel when they rant and rave and if it relieves stress at all! I find being sickly sweet and smily gets you much further than being angry ;)

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

My sister Born Friday, I can see that their are many advices to choose from, so I would say--

1. Read the Ayat Kursi as stated by other sister/brothers.

2. come always prepared of what you are going to say.

3. choose a topic that you are confortable presenting.

4. finally, but not least, don't worry about it, everybody gets nervous including most of the students in the class room.

I hope my advice helps you my sis, but the biggest advice one can give you is always remember Allah (swc)and thanks for asking sister.

Assalamu Calaykum.