the indomnable Libaaxyo - Cameroon

Senegal - My team,,,,,

The fufu nigeries

No arabs are allowed to win,,,,,,,,,,

A lil background read Nomads i think u will be supprised by pas results

------------------------------------------------------------

African Cup of Nations winners

Nigeria celebrate their win in the 1980 final

The African Cup of Nations, which is organised every two years, has established itself as the premier competition on the continent.

The first edition was staged in 1957 in Khartoum, with only Ethiopia and winners Egypt joining hosts Sudan as the inaugural participants.

From 1968 to 1990, eight finalists took part and that was increased to to 12 in 1992 by the Confederation of African Football (Caf).

Caf then expanded the number of finalists to 16, in line with its development policy. The 16 finalists consist of 14 qualifying teams, plus the hosts and the defending champions.

Year Winner Score Runner-up Host

1957 Egypt 4-0 Ethiopia (Sudan)

1959 Egypt 2-1 Sudan (Egypt)

1962 Ethiopia 4-2 Egypt (Ethiopia)

1963 Ghana 3-0 Sudan (Ghana)

1965 Ghana 3-2 Tunisia (Tunisia)

1968 Congo-Kinshasa 1-0 Ghana (Ethiopia)

1970 Sudan 1-0 Ghana (Sudan)

1972 Congo-Brazzaville 3-2 Mali (Cameroon)

1974 Zaire 2-0 Zambia (Egypt)

1976 Morocco ** (Ethiopia)

1978 Ghana 2-0 Uganda (Ghana)

1980 Nigeria 3-0 Algeria (Nigeria)

1982 Ghana 1-1 (7-6 pens) Libya (Libya)

1984 Cameroon 3-1 Nigeria (Ivory Coast)

1986 Egypt 0-0 (5-4 pens) Cameroon (Egypt)

1988 Cameroon 1-0 Nigeria (Morocco)

1990 Algeria 1-0 Nigeria (Algeria)

1992 Ivory Coast 0-0 (11-10 pens)Ghana (Senegal)

1994 Nigeria 2-1 Zambia (Tunisia)

1996 South Africa 2-0 Tunisia (South Africa)

1998 Egypt 2-0 South Africa (Burkina Faso)

2000 Cameroon 2-2 4-3 pens Nigeria (Ghana/Nigeria)

2002 Cameroon 0-0 3-2 pens Senegal Mali

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Morocco crowned champions after group stage

Senegal were unlucky last time. But after 2 great tournaments i think they will not be so hungry.

Nigeria have failed to impress for a while now, but with a strong squad to chose from as always and Ja Ja Okocha in great form they will be my team to watch

AYOUB   

^^^I knew some countries never won it before, but how come the cup has never been hosted by east and most central African countries?

AYOUB   

dont you just love the new cameroon kit,,,,,dont think it would look good on somalis tho,,,,,lol

Speak for yourself Mr :D

I thought FIFA baned that new kit. The sleeveless tops were much better.

N.O.R.F   

^^^lol, i wasnt speaking for myself but for the general somali youth population,,,,,,

i like the Lion claws on the ribs, that will be my summer time attire,,,, :D

Intel   

140406_600X400.gif

Frédéric Kanouté in action for Mali against Kenya (Getty Images)

Kanouté makes Mali merry

Monday, 26 January 2004

Tottenham Hotspur FC striker Frédéric Kanouté made a spectacular debut for Mali as he scored twice to give them a 3-1 African Cup of Nations Group B win against Kenya on a day when Senegal were held 0-0 by Burkina Faso in Tunisia.

Sissoko opener

Valencia CF's Mohamed Lamine Sissoko, who like Kanouté had previously represented France at youth level but was cleared to play for Mali as a full international, also made a fine bow as he gave them the lead in Bizerte on 28 minutes, capitalising on a loose ball in the Kenyan defence. Titus Mulama scored a fine equaliser for Kenya on 58 minutes, but Kanouté soon restored Mali's lead and another powerful finish nine minutes from the end secured victory.

'I am very happy'

After the game, Kanouté said: "Today is the beginning of something for me so I am very happy, but it is only a beginning. I have scored two goals, the team played well and today I am happy for a whole country." However, he added: "My heart is still with Tottenham and I wish them all the best."

Nadiir   

I have my bets on Mali this year. After watching their last game, I was convinced that Mali can take the nations cup this year in ease.... Camoroon will probably come to the final as well.

Rokko   

I have all my $$$ on Cameron to rebeat it and do it all ova again..not only through this Cup but even world Cup..

Hey BTW, I wish we could watch the gamez ova here in States..I would've call sick to watch some of them walaahi, I guess that's disadvantage of living here huh.LOL