Sign in to follow this  
Sky

any manga fans out here

Sky   

i used to be a manga fan, you know japanese animation, my favorites were akira, angel cop etc. those were the good old days when all the figures had big eyes and no lips and the occasional negroes were whites painted black. anyway things aint the same right now. call me old fashioned but they chose a new way of animaion, now they just look skinny. improvement though is that the japanese actually look like asians instead of europeans.

i havent watched a manga movie for over half a year now, so i was wondering if there are any manga lovers out here. i was in love with japanese cartoons since i was 8, i never watched those sily american cartoons except for tom n jerry and the loony tuns na mean.

Diamante   

I don't know any of the two cartoons you mentioned, but give me Dragon Ball Z anytime :cool: ;)

krillin.jpg Krillin: "I don't have any special powers. Hell, if I had special powers, I'd have a head full of hair!" -- probably one my favorite quotes :D

-------------------------

I don't believe in emails. I'm an old fashioned girl. I prefer calling and hanging up

I'm crazy about anime. A friend got me into it, and now all I ever is watch cartoons.

I personally prefer the newer animes. I find that because of the old-fashioned elaborate puffy animation style, I sometimes find it hard to take the characters seriously.

The animation is absolutely breathtaking in some instances, like Ghost in the Shell. I swear, as a film student, I sometimes learn much more from Japanese manga than any Hollywood film.

Honestly, the stories that these manga cartoons have are often more mature than anything Hollywood could ever produce. But most people still seem to be under the impression that it's just for kids. Honestly, a lot of the best manga out there is not really suitable for kids anyway.

The stories are often philosophical in nature, and mostly are very well-animated meditations on life, soul, death and reality.

Leave it to the Japanese to figure out that animation is a serious film art.

I don't watch as many films as TV series. There are some that I like, stuff by Miyazaki like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke for example.

As for TV series, I really recommend you watch the Cowboy Bebop series, Rurouni Kenshin series and Full Metal Alchemist.

Now, excuse me as I return to watching Naruto. :D

Sky   

underdog=

i have watched ninja scroll 2 years ago. reat movie, a lot of blood, great story and excellent animation. mabe ill watch it again, who knows.

xu=

youre right the oldfashioned anime is a bit immature, but for me that was the genuine japanese animation. i concur the new style had to come sooner or later, but i was pretty attached to the old style.

ghost in the shell took my breath away when i saw it. its so beautifully animated, you wonder why the hell its so unknown to the average person? the camera angles, magnificent visual effects and the city was animated in great detail. to come to think of it, i believe its my favorite. its the best ever.

i'm glad im not the only somali who truly appreciates great film. besides anime, i also adore foreign movies, but now im geting off topic.

of the tv series, guyver was my favorite. i even bought the videos when i was 15 or something. i used to live in the netherlands in a small village and my friends from hong kong introduced me to anime apart from teaching me chinese cusswords. i remember 'zhe pa po' wich translated into f**k your mother. and i taught them 'hooyadaa was' of course. gotta represent your people. :D have you ever watched guyver, all the episodes?

good luck in snow country! ;)

o0o   

I am a big fan of manga! I just watched ninja scroll last week. ninja scroll kicksarse, production qualities of the film are beautiful, echoing traditional japanese art forms with a fine sensibility. line and colour are strong. violence, of course, is present, but is tightly controlled, not dwelt upon. ninja scroll is one of the best and most representative films of the more conservative japanese traditions of anime. worth seeing for it's historical status as well as for its outstanding artistic values I reckon.

african sky I only recently watched Akira though I have heard a lot about it and I must say I am impressed so much that I bought the DVD.this is, beyond any doubt, one of the best animated films in existence. visually impressive, solid direction, with a compelling story (if a little complicated), just the right amount of character development, good and very appropriate soundtrack and an extensively detailed nnew tokyo. It's only drawback is that most people (including me) will probably have to watch it again (and again maybe) to completely understand the full story.

Xu I totally agree with you on that. I've learned way more from anime than the hollywood movies.

Elysian   

I’m not a big fan, or maybe I should say I wasn’t a big fan of animation until I saw Spirited away. It was like Alice in the wonderland but with a flavour of south-eastern culture and traditions, which makes it a BIG difference compared to the hollywood productions. Thanks for the tips, now I have more animations to watch :cool:

I know the subject was about manga, but since we’re talking about japanese productions, I’d just like to recommend two films by the famous Akira Kurosawa.

Rashomon (1950) and Seven Samuraj (1954)

Rashomon is kind of a post-modernistic movie, with a very different way of storytelling, which is by the way used by filmmakers today… but this guy did it already back in the 50’s! Seven Samuraj is a looong beautiful comedy, definatley worth watching.

(I guess since you guys are so into japanese stuff you've already watched these movies...)

juba   

i always found japanese animation facinating! i definatly recomend Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away simply breath taking!!!!!