Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

What you do while wearing a hijab

SeeKer   

I was having a discussion a few months back about how symbolic the hijab was. Por example if you walked into a bar wearing a hijab should one assume you are a 'good' girl or a 'bad' girl? How about a club? how about sitting with someone drinking?

So where does the line blur from individualism to you representing the entire ummah?

I was reminded of this discussion last night when I saw a couple people post this video on FB. The video was posted on youtube three days ago and from the setting it looks like a house party or something.

Hijab chick dancing to bend ova

I am not sure what more disturbing the girls wearing the abaya, the boys dancing behind them or the way the rest of the party seems to be so non chalant about it.

Seems like they are teenagers gone wild and mimicking what they have seen/watched on TV. Why are you disturbed by these teens though? Haven't you been to Somali weddings where grown ups(some of them married) shake their behinds and grind in full few of thousands of spectators?

Abaya is nothing, but a piece of cloth. How one dresses doesn't necessary foretell how ones should behave.

Ps: I am disturbed by how poor they dance!! The skinny guy with suspenders looks like the guy in "family matters" show.

I was more disturbed by one or is two little children were sitting there viewing this disaster.

This reminds in Somalia there was always one loose in every neighborhood. I guess this girl was it. I wonder where do these people live.Looks like they are not from the west?

Gheelle.T..It's similar to something called Jamaican Dancehall Dry Sex dance. Don't youtube or google that. It's bit out there honestly :D

Somalina   

I have seen this video yesterday and didn't dare post it on here. I wasn't shocked or disturbed when I saw this video as I have seen a worse episode 4 years ago; something that will put the folks grinding on each other in this video to shame. I'm a firm believer in the proverb "clothes don't make the man". I know some women who wear hijab and don't pray salat and others who fornicate on regular bases. So why is this different? because is on YT?

Nonetheless, I was grossed out as usual when I watched this video.

Personally, I really don't care how others conduct themselves when it comes to their diin, as long as they're not murdering ppl that is(i.e AS). Allah ha soo hanuuniyo.

NGONGE   

Seeker, seeker, seeker.. :D

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ PDA in general is irritating. It does not really make a difference if the couple are Muslim, atheists, old or even a pair of dogs. It is still uncomfortable to be forced to see it.

The rest is really not a big deal (Bob). Not every person that donned a Spiderman outfit can climb buildings and not everyone that wears a football kit can kick a ball. The hijab is merely a sign of what the person maybe like underneath (and no, I am not talking flesh, bone and heaving bosoms). The minute you spot one kissing in public, you must realise it is
fancy dress time and not attach any deep significance to it. It really is no big deal and takes nothing away from those that wear the hijab for the right reasons (the mockery that Blessed is talking about is itself, albeit unwittingly, a mockery).

All here:

http://www.somaliaonline.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/12265

They are probably somewhere in Africa or in Yemen. Midoo aa sigsaan cad cad oo kuwa Tuujiye babooniga ku ciyaaro camal qabto. :D:D Labiska aa u gooyay yar yariiska

Che, what ever the dance is called, they looked to be struggling of doing it right. Anyway, I am not surprised and honestly there is nothing to be alarmed or disturbed by bunch of teens trying to have some fun.

Jacpher   

^It gotta be carabaha or Africa. Disgusting.

Where are the parents of those little kids in the video? And why would they bring minors to a double dirty dancing party.

Somalina   

Are the young men who are rubbing their 3422 on her 277 not looked down on? or are they innocent and it is all the girl's fault?

It takes two to tango! Allah ha ku soo celiyo wadada toosan. Inshallah.

Originally posted by NinaNC:

Are the young men rubbing their 3422 on her 277 not looked down on? or are they innocent and it is all the girls fault?

It takes two to tango! Allah ha ku soo celiyo wadada toosan. Inshallah.

I believe Seeker is talking the symbolism of Hijab. I see no Xijaab donning teenage boys.

Now we know what NGONGE used to do in Carabaha :D

Somalina   

Actually my comment "it takes two to tango",was partially in response to your "there is always one loose" in the xaafada, like the "loose" girl went on a raping spree in your xaafad camal. The remaining part, I was giving my opinion on the actions of the boys in the video (they are as guilty as she is) in the form of a question.

Edit:

Che, how is yemen or carabaha comments addresing the niqab issue, mise Nina waxay ka hadley aa ku dhibe?

Put a lid on it adeer.

SeeKer   

lol @ Ngonge

My question is where is the line? Clothing evolved from being a status symbol to being a necessity to now being a way to pigeonhole a person i.e goth, wadaad, skank, bimbo, nerd etc.

When it comes to Islamic clothing/hijab it is something a bit more if we are to follow the cannons of the religion. Yes not every girl that wears a hijab is a puritan but she dons it nonetheless because she is made to feel that she has to.

I am sorry but I don't remember being told what the significance of wearing a hijab was. Matter of fact I never wore one till I was a teenager and by then the hijab used to couple as a neck scarf. Till the day my father gruffly told me I have to pick which way I am going to play the game. Wear it or don't wear it make the choice with all the knowledge you can find.

Do we as a society educate our children on what it means to don the hijab or do we just shove it down their throat expecting compliance even though all roads point to hell :rolleyes:

As for the video disturbing me lets just say all parties involved in the video made my eyebrow arch a bit higher. That most of the comments here say that it is normal/common for this behavior is also a reason for all of us to take a step back. When we become so desensitized at such behavior what are we really saying about our society?

Kool_Kat   

OMG! Since I've seen this video a few days ago on FB, I can't stop singing that effin' song "Bend Ova, Bend Ova, Bend Ova"...Just last night, I was making malawax while singing it... :eek: Damn...War waala ilabaxay dhaafa dhoocilaha haniga raaxeystaane... :D

It was shocking to me, I guess cuz the responsibilities that comes with wearing the Xijaab...Had they been wearing batty-riders and tank-top, I wouldn't be as shocked; laakiin xabaayad iyo xijaabaa? Waa wareey!

I think it'll make a great Snoop Dogg movie called 'Hijabis Gone Wild'!!!!

Ps, just cuz the song goes 'bend ova' doesn't really mean they have to...I wonder what they'll be doing had they danced to Lady Saw's tune? :D

**Bend ova, bend ova, bend ovaaaaa**