Sign in to follow this  
Emperor

Arabs?? Analysing, examing and exploring the term Arab?

Emperor   

Again another Arab topic, Huh,LOOL

But this time its neither love nor hate is just a learning session.

Who is Arab? And how? How is not? What makes you an Arab, Is it a Nationality, race, or to speak Arabic language makes you an Arab, or born in an Arab country, or to be part of the Arab league??? Seriously I need enlightenment on this subject

I’m a bit weary and I feel my questions are somehow unclear, but I will make myself understandable to get my point across with the following examples, which I hope will clarify the aim (as some nomads will come and ask? What was the aim, why did I do what I did? And so on and so forth) of this thread.

I chose this topic for few reasons, the frequent use of the word Arab on this forum nowadays is staggering, and the bitter debates which some of the SOLers grouped Nomads into two: Arab lovers and haters, which I thought will blot a question mark on us, Somalis???. Who and what are we?? Are we Arabs? Yes or No, if yes how? and if not still how?

Are there any real Arabs nowadays? In our era, if there are real Arabs(Arabnimo) I am simply doomed to say the Egyptians are the only passionate believers of the term. I lived and spent sometime in Egypt and I know a bit of the other Arab nations being from one myself (as far as the Arab league is concerned), never have I seen any nation who are into Arabism with full compassion like the Egyptians and the Syrians (even thou is more of the government than the people) I might say. But the Egyptians not only do they have the Arab league headquarters in Cairo or lead them in any other issue but simply the average Egyptian street is believed and dwell great enthusiasm for it. The national TV commentators, newspapers editors and as well the people on the street never cease but always remains to remember words like “Qadaya carabiya†and “Jamhuur alcarabâ€etc. For some reasons I believed it was because of their late leaders Like Jamal Abdi Nasir (who had strong and relentless believe in Arabism) and Asad the father, taught them heavy lessons that are not easily forgettable. While the other nations like the Gulf States or even the Arab African countries (Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Mauritania) including the Negroes never mention that word all the time and careless about it, here my question comes - for that matter, are the Egyptians the real Arabs?

I remember back few months ago, two of my college friends had a very serious and hot argument to who is Arab? An Algerian, who when he speaks Arabic sounds like a Frenchman who learned the language ten years ago. And a Sudanese from Um-Durman the city in Sudan. I couldn’t do anything but laugh and watch, the Algerian claimed the Sudanese was not an Arab. Sudani guy replies and went “its you who isn’t Arabâ€, they asked them selves why and how. The Algerian went on to justify his case and said “I’m an Arab with light skin from Algeria but you are just Negroâ€, the Sudani guy replied and said “I speak Arabic and we speak it in our country and from an Arab nation, but you are simply speaking French Arabic and your origin is in question, thus I’m more Arab than you do†hilarious Im in state of laughter, the Sudani guy went on to ask again, “If this is about color then why in your country you have people who are considered not to be Arabs, the Berbers, despite the fact that they speak as you do, have same color as you and from the same region.†The Algerian guy “Uuuhm ….eheem Because they were not Muslims and some are not to this dayâ€. I t was this time that I interrupted and asked Sudani guy why the Ereterians who are Arabic speaking nation not considered Arabs if as your case is based on language, and he goes I consider them Arabs and anyone who speaks the language to be an Arab, you will dude coz u are justifying your case.

Another same humours theme was a day when I was watching Aljazeera TV, Faysal Alqasim if you know him, the guy who presents (Al itijaahul-mucaakis), brought two men on his program. A Kuwaiti journalist and an Egyptian writer, after a hard hash debate between them, the Kuwaiti guy was on the losing verge, knows who knows the program is who he has bigger voice wins. Knows who knows the Egyptians are blessed with voice and rhetoric mentioning in every sentence the word Arab or Arabism, thus was winning the argument. Simply the Kuwaiti dude got angry, heated up and said “What kind of Arab are you, explain how are you an Arab, you are just Arab wanna beâ€, in the middle of the program, OHG, Can I stop laughing. But will an Egyptian miss words never thought so, he said, “It was we who invented, brought to life and taught you the word Arab, will illiterate like you now anything, shall I teach you the distance of your country, how many square miles and what it used to be before, because you seem to be … â€, LOOOL , There are many questions to be asked about who is what?

As I asked earlier in the beginning, I fail to understand what is this Arabism thing based on, is it based on language, or culture, or regional inhabitant, or colour , or race, or is it a nationality like British/American and if this is the case then do we have Black Negroes who are real Arabs?

Who is considered to be an Arab from the following:

The skinny Yemeni man like the Somali, who is chewing qaat in Aden with his AK47, or a Tunisian man who lives on the cliff of Africa bordering Spain.

The so-called Janjawiid Negro in south Darfur, or the Kurdish man who was born, grew up in Bagdhad and settled there for centuries.

The Barber man from Algeria, morocco and Tunisia or the more Christian asyrians from Iraq and Syria.

The skinnies from the horn of Africa who don’t speak Arabic at all but have seat in the Arab league or the other horn residents Arabic speaking nation, Eriterians

The fake royal families of Saudi Arabia/Jordan created not long ago by the western world, which claimed their forefathers to be from Quraish (the prophet’s tribe PPUH) or the Egyptians with their eternal believe of Arabism, born to be an Arab.

If you have answers for this please share, I know many of you will disassociate with the Arabs because of their failure in today’s world, and many others will associate themselves because of their richness and will want to have a moment or 2 of pride, that’s not what I want.

Just share you views about this with clear supporting proof and evidence, bring it on clarify and state who is who? and Hell with this Arab term is?

Gday!

Xoogsade   

Speaking for myself Only;

A- I don't judge Arabs because they are Arabs.

B- I don't praise them because they are Arabs.

C- I am not ethnically an Arab but Somali and the connection I have with them is the Bond of islam which is very important. My only reservation about islamic brotherhood is that I wouldn't glue myself to someone who can't see the value of it, be they Arabs or Somalis. I simply go on my separate way. If you don't like me, tough deal, I don't like you too. I am glad to say though, when I meet students of Arab origin at school, I can sense the connection of brotherhood even if we don't know each other. We pray together and act as acquintances. That is the beauty of islam. It engenders the sense of oneness among different ethnic groups and you don't need to know a lot about the person. The sooner you hear his/her name, the faster the connection and familiarity.

As for criticizing them, first, I can not say Arabs are this or that because the Word "Arab" covers both the good and the bad among them. I am sure they don't do things collectively as "Arabs". Allah will judge them individually. So I better judge them that way myself instead of generalizing. Their governments are corrupted and minions who don't represent fully their people's aspirations and hopes, so I guess I am not too interested in naming what they do as something done by "Arabs" as a collective measure. Also, when everyone who doesn't like islam screams about "Arabs", I side with the "Arabs" without expecting anything from anyone. I do it to stand up for something I value and believe in. It is not important what some arab individual thinks or doesn't think.

Anyway, Sheekada meeshaasaan kusoo xirey :D

Blessed   

Salaams;

When certain Somalis speak of Arabs in a critical manner they are often speaking of the small cluster of Oil rich gulf states whom some consider to be the custodians of the Muslim Ummah

I think it’s healthy to be critical of the wrong actions of our brethren in faith – especially of one makes a point of expressing their anger at the people who are in a position to change the situation. What we get in SOL are people who bundle all Arabs together; throw insults and abuse at Arabs in general – that constitutes racist prejudiced gossip in my book.

As for who is an Arab; I've heard a hadith of the Prophet (saw) where he has said; ' man kalima carabi fa huwa carab' - He who speaks Arabic is an Arab. I don't really know if this was in the context of Arabic being ones first language or that it applies to all those who learn the Arabic language. However; I know the Prophet of Allah (saw) dies not lie – so using this hadith; I’d say any country where Arabic is a national language - from Algeria to the gulf - is an Arab country. I’d also say that anyone born to parents or a people who are descendents from these regions is also an Arab.

This is where the Somali – Arab connection comes in. It’s undeniable that some Somali tribes (particularly those of xamar) have Arab origins. There’s also the argument that other Somali tribes have Arabic origins… that’s questionable – I don’t personally buy it, hence I consider myself an African associated with Arabs through Islam, history (those Ottomans have helped us in many a battle with the Amxaaris) culture and perhaps even language to a certain degree- I can’t say whether this applies to all Somalis – it does to me.

Coming back to your post; I thought it conceding that an Algerian is considered a French man who has learnt Arabic as local dialects exist in every language. Even in Saudi Arabia you'll find some rather incomprehensible local dialects. The Arabs have dealt with this obstacle by agreeing on a standardised Arabic dialect which is the one used by the media.

Qorshel, thanks for the thread bro.

Xoogsade made some good points. I have to agree with Ameena though its the language and culture that supercedes ethnicity because of this fact North African's are as Arab as those in the Gulf. Over the centuries there has been considerable mixing of blood through the several empires and dynasties. Today you have people with blue eyes and blond hair being Arab as in the case of Syria, Lebanon. This is all a posative development as it makes the society richer as a whole. The Somali's have Arab heritage, many of our clans claim Arab descent and our capital Mogadishu was founded by Omani Arabs. However I[my personel opinion] do not consider Somali's to be Arab for we have our own language and identity, like the Turk, Kurd, Afghan etc.

Salma   

^^^ Bcz of the E.B.S, Extreme Boredom Syndrome :D

Mashallah the 'Walking Encylopedias' are so well-informed about their own race and thats make them ready to exlpore the other nations and question their origins.

Why would you ask about the origin of the arabs if you consider them your brothers in Islam? Have you questioned about the the origins of the other muslims? the Muslims Indians, Africans, Americans,Europeans,,,etc? Do you know where they came from? And do you think that "The Opposite Direction" program in Al Jazeera or even two arabs men arguing will make Arabs nothing. I believe the matter of being Arab is just like being a Somali. There are many Somali ppl in Somalia who are either from Protugese, Yemen, Arab countries, Indians, Africans, but at the end they are considered Somalis unless you want to question their origin and won't accept them in Somalia thats another matter.

Don't make fun of those Skinny Yemeni, they are somehow the origin of the Arabs, read little about the tribe of "Jurhum" who left Yemen after the collapse of the Ma'areb Dam and migrated to Mecca, they setteled with "Hagar" the mother of our prophet Isameel (PBUH) and that was the start of the Arab tribes in KSA and then the Arab countries. Yes, Egyptian were not arabs they were Pharos, Palestineans are Araamis, Lebanese are Phoenicians, Iraqis are Assyrians, Algerians and the rest of the Moroccans are Berbers or Africans, and some of the Gulf States arabs are from Persian,African & Indians origins but still those non-arabs married from the Arabs ppl and became arabs just like the non-somalis married from the somalis and becaome Somalis.

I don't like the idea of calling for "Arabism" and I hated that Ideology founded by Jamal Abdul Naser, honestly its was a curse that scattered the Arabs here and there.

You know Qorshel I think you speak Arabic very good and you can read/use Arabic books/resourses and find more about their origin if you want. You are posting this post just to confuse the other nomads. You can critize someone for his bad deeds but not his origin and kindly again and again two ****** Arabs fighting with each others don't represent all Arabs.

Besides, I wonder why you guyz devided the nomads into two groups: The Arabs Lovers and Arabs Haters, this is totally nonsense. Can't we give our opinions without seperations and devisions???!!!

I really find these titles funny: The Earth Defenders, Arabs Lovers, The Three Muskteers whats next??!! :D

Good Start for 2005

Raage   

Why would you ask about the origin of the arabs if you consider them your brothers in Islam

maybe because somebody wants to start a conversation :confused:

dont care about them! next! maxaa iga shan iyo toban aa carab!! aya dhahi " al carab jarab waa man shafa harab!! ;)

i could never understand, why this ppl abandoned their moslem brethrens and chosed such a selfish way of treating them!

some how i cant phantom pulling ship with hundreds of sick desperate moslem back to the sea for them to parish!! where is the compassion that our religion teachs us! or denying a sick person medicine cuz hes not a citzen even though he was living in saudia for over 30 yrs!! while they rulers lost count of how many children they fathered! thats simply the marks of decadent society!!

may allah have mercy on them!!

Actually i visited Saudi Arebia once, it was 1999 ,,,, before that i used to hate staying in the western countries but that visit completely changed my mind.

I've seen so many Somalis living there but no respect, no freedom, nothing ,,,, just nothing,,,,

Emagine someone who lived in the country for about 30 yrs ,, he/she has Iqamah but u know what ?? :mad: it is written on his Iqamah this person is living in Riyad (sample) ,, but he cannot go to other cities unless he pay some fees and get permission from the Ministry of interrior as well as his sponsor person :mad: :mad:

there are no personal rights, education and even freedom of the person's movements. Everyone is under control . . . U know what else ,, the most amazing thing i've seen there was they don't like the person who is speaking in Arabic ,,, U speak in English and tell them u don't know arabic then u r welcomed, respected and fully supported ,,,, :mad:

I'm not talking about being Muslims ,,, that is another chapter ,, but this is the fack on the ground ,,,

AFtar that trip ,, i decided not to live in the Arab world . . . . i can say may be Sudan is some how helpful for the somalis ,,, and may be the dead Iraq . . .

Rabbi ha inoo gargaaro ,. . . .

Walee cidii carab aheyd iyo Soomaali dhib ayaa kala heysta. Oo kaalay qofkii xoolihiisa kuu diida mala dagaaleynaa, kii nasoo dhaweeyana oo xoolihiisa nagula saaxiiba ma amaaneynaa!

Wax kale ayaan idinka sugayaa. Taariikhda soomaaliya waxaa meelo badan ku xusan in carab jeceelkii naga batay dartiis in qabiilo badan oo aan Carab aheyn ey u sheegan jireen sinji ahaan iney carab kasoo jeedaan, taasoo qabiilo badan ka dhigtay in lagu yaso ineysan carab sheeganin. Laakiin maanta mucjizada dhacday waxay tahay in dadka carab naceybka ugu horeeya soomaali ey yihiin dad runtii jaceelka carab waagii hore safka hore ugu jiray.

Subxaanalaah! war hala xishoodo oo yaan dadkaas ilaah abuurtay oo walaalaheen ah aflagaado loo geysanin. Sinji qof doortay malaha, qof walba wuxuu is arkay isagoo ah wuxuu yahay oo ilaah baa u dooray dhalashada iyo sinjiga.

For the jewish and western, I would say to them, 'the mission is accomplished', because they easily misled the innocent mindless Somalis by bringing them against their fellow Muslim brothers and sisters of Arab ethnicities!

Presented here is an Arab Lecture by a prominant Saudi Scholar (Salman Fahad Al-awdah), he is addressing the problems in which the non-muslims have created among the Arabs and Somalis. The lecture is Arabic and titled (The Wounded Somalia). Though I can't respond in Arabic, But I still think there are many somalis like me who are good at the hearing comprehension of Arabic.

Link of the lecture Wounded Somalia

juba   
Originally posted by Classique:

[QB] ^^^ Bcz of the E.B.S, Extreme Boredom Syndrome

:D

seriously! get over it pple!

"Yes, Egyptian were not arabs they were Pharos,"

when u say Pharos i hope you mean blacks. Because they were truly the first "egyptians" before all the intermingling began

just one question, why the hell we care what the origins of arabs are?i could care less infact. And since when did this site became

ARAB online????

Emperor   

Why so many topics concerning Arabs as of late?

Is about time, Sxb. We should leave the Arab league, and never to be associated with such creatures.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think some nomads do not understand the difference between Muslims and Arabs, I say yes for Islam and the Muslims but hell to the creatures

Infact Somalis = 100% Muslims (May be 0.02 non Muslims nowadays), but Arabs = 10%-15% or more non Muslims, see the difference.

Gday!

Originally posted by Qorshel:

We should leave the Arab league, and never to be associated with such creatures.... :mad: :mad: :mad: [/QB]

What a brilliant idea! But who's 'we'? You don't even have a government to speak of - so how can you leave the Arab League?