Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gello - The proud Soma

Somali Women and Revert Marriage Phenomenon

Chimera   

ps Marx if Somali men were losing their ''sense of self'' why then do foreign women complain about them being reserved(i.e only interested in Somali women?):

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200812 06184535AAmk8tY

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200811 13153346AANsJlh

Even the most insecure bunch amongst us can't stop talking about 'Somali women' contrast this with the non-Somali males i have caught many times mimicking Somali men on several Somali forums when i was still a moderator there and banned them for badmouthing Somali women. You never see a Somali male doing that stuff on a foreign forum. These same guys have such a dislike for their own women that they want nothing to do with them hence their infatuation with women from other races, like i said before even the most insecure brothers amongst us seem to be only obsessed with their own kind

Fabregas   

Originally posted by -MARX-:

To self hate is a heinous crime against the self. Those who practice this are not worthy of mention! Reverts are nice people, but shouldnt marry our sisters, daughters and loved ones! This is the preserve of the Somali man! !

:D

Thank you Adam Zayla for preparing that well articulated and presented report on the progress made by Somalis. Our community is indeed making many great strives towards integration and this is very postive. I think there was a slight miscommunication between us, i was merely making notes of the rapid increase of revert marriage but I acknowledge that is the result of intergation. Rather than calling people self-hating perhaps we should recognise its a result of intergation and many other social factors. Athough there are a high number of self-hating somali people amongst us.

Thanks Again Brother!!

Some interesting things happen to these girls who rush into this kind of marriage.

My elder sister who is married and lives in london was telling me of this girl who married to a white revert,she had two kids and was doing fine till he reverted back to kufri iyo gaalnimo!what a wasted life!lol

at least,the pakistanis are hardcore radicals when it comes to giving thier daughters to whites but gabdhaheena are seen as to easy.ceeb badanaa!!

NASSIR   

Originally posted by
Caamir:

[ Though I hardly see this social trend and no one has ever taken a survey of Somali women's view of marrying reverts, I would suggest let's not give the topic a serious note.

Most Somali girls/women have strong foundation of nuclear families that reside with them and who do greatly involve into their daily decision making. Even the educated ones among us do not simply make a decision independent of their family's input. However, few facts need to be addressed.

There's mismatch to the ratio of Somali male to female in terms of upward mobility. This imbalance would indeed have an impact on the person's freedom of choice, and more women constrained by the combined effect of time, financial resources and the need for an ideal Somali person with the preferred credentials, would opt to marry a non-Somali should the opportunity presents itself. However, there's no need to worry about such trends as our country is in the middle of crisis.

The trend will indeed reverse sooner our country gets back to normal and we all go back home and participate its reconstruction. And if the younger Somali generation who live in the west simply gets diluted by cross-cultural contacts after 30 or 40 years, they would still be Somali and probably speak our beloved language.

Ashkiro, A recent study found that 70% of African American women to be single. What do you think is the cause and do you think there's correlation of their predicament to Somali women?
:D
[/QB]

An old post of mine. My views have changed indeed. I used to attribute the cause of this worrying trend to the problems of unequal social mobility (gender in this case). But it is in fact the direct influence of Political Islam, methinks. It has seeped deep into the fabric of our society and its traditional institutions. And it is one of the reasons that the concept of natÍon-states does not appeal to them. Their identity transcends nationality. But the important thing to note is that culture is a process subject to change. We have to be able to come up with a solution and organize a movement around the the consensus of our communities across the globe through communication channels and confront the forces of global media and popular culture as well as political Islam.

Here is a basic illustration of international relations.

Humanity is divided into nations.

Each nation has its own peculiar character

The source of political power is loyalty to the nation

Nations can be developed only in their nation-states.

Universal peace and harmony can be secured through the strengthening of Nation-states.

Malika   

^Maxaad ledahay? Politic Islam and the Islamic way of life is a new phenomenal with Somalis?

If I can call a Muslim a brother or a sister why cant I marry him or her?

If I can stand shoulder to shoulder with them in prayers,why cant I marry them?

If my declaration of One true God,is shared and believed with others,why cant I marry them?

There is only one nation for a muslim and that is the nation of Islam - One Ummah...

Anywho,to each and his/her own.

Originally posted by Malika:

^Maxaad ledahay? Politic Islam and the Islamic way of life is a new phenomenal with Somalis?

If I can call a Muslim a brother or a sister why cant I marry him or her?

If I can stand shoulder to shoulder with them in prayers,why cant I marry them?

If my declaration of One true God,is shared and believed with others,why cant I marry them?

There is only one nation for a muslim and that is the nation of Islam - One Ummah...

Anywho,to each and his/her own.

No one is saying you cant marry him,but why specifically fish for a white person? why not zimbabwi or just say kenyan muslim?

NASSIR   

Malika, the basis of Political Islam is that of purely legalistic readings of our religion and it openly opposes the preservation of nation-states (ex. Somalia). It advocates for the return of one single Islamic empire similar to the time of Ummayads and Ottomans. And they use everything at their disposal to justify the end, that means the application of brute, unconventional force and a mass campaign of homogenization. We are therefore obliged as concerned citizens to be wary of their tricks and deceptions, of entities, individuals and dominant societies with hidden objectives. And we must be protective of our unsuspecting daughters.

A life of riviled isolation and constant suspicion of her own race is not a path one should take.

I also admit in the long run, we in the Diaspora risk of losing our unique identity to external forces.

Malika   

Nassir,

You sound almost afraid,why?

I for one is for an Islamic Empire,and so it s hould be for all Muslim's. As a Muslim has no country except that part of the earth where the Shari'ah of God is established and human relationships are based on the foundation of relationship with God; a Muslim has no nationality except his belief, which makes him a member of the Muslim community in Dar-ul-Islam; a Muslim has no relatives except those who share the belief in God, and thus a bond is established between him and other Believers through their relationship with God.

ps,You make assumptions,that the women married to reverts are leading isolated lives,I dont know who you know or seen. But those I know,they are leading good and fulfilled lives..Basking in glory of Islam and fellow Muslims.

pss,Every human being is unique my dear,that is the amazing aspect of God's creation,nothing speacial about Somali uniqueness.

psss,What does history tell you about the great achievements of those Islamic Empires?

Malika   

^Hehehe@Ngonge,No,I have just been to specsavers,my sight is much better now,then it was.. :D

ps.All my friends happen to be non Somalis.. ;)

-Lily-   

Malika, one can believe in one Ummah and still value their own culture and people (to be as important as everyone else). There is nothing wrong in appreciating my culture and wanting to continue and preserve it and choosing a life partner in line with this.

It would be a boring world where everything was diluted and the only thing remaining was shared faith.