Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gello - The proud Soma

Somali Women and Revert Marriage Phenomenon

Som@li   

I must agree with the poster,Some of the girls who marry reverts/converts have self hating identity problem, and hate everything to do with Somalis, so Mr. Gello has a point.

Either way, we don't need rats who hate Somalis.

Lama huraan waa cawska jilaal. :D

ScarFace   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

I was simply saying what my father told me. And i think u should refrain from name calling. Besides, never said anything about marrying a convert, merely respect those who choose to..

If you got offended I'm trully sorry dear but I was merely stating the true facts. As long as the convert is a practicing muslim who said he/she cannot marry into our culture. It would be worse if they all went flocking to none muslims.

One serious note to consider this trend seems to large in the halimo's who came into the western atmosphere quite recently. These women cannot even speak proper english. .

I remember back in 1998 when I was young boy going to Brixton mosque these halimo's were complaining to the Imam how these reverts were aggressive they always carried a black eye. OH WELL :D

Aaliyyah   

if you got offended I'm trully sorry dear but I was merely stating the true facts.

what type of apology is that? but at least i will give you a credit for trying...

I don't know where you guys got this idea that those who marry outside their race can't speak English. Seriously, some of these girls not only can speak English but many of them even hold university degrees. So, there is no need to belittle other people simply because you hold different opinions.

The bottom line is why don't we just learn to respect other people and the choices they make in life. The truth is many Somali sisters who married Somalis live in a hard life.So many Somali fathers neglected their kids and wives. So, Of course so many white or chinese or whatever converts can turn out to be bad husbands as well. The point is it all comes down to that person, that individual rather than their race.

MZanzi   

Wow. This is very interesting that people take the time to analyze the lives of others

Love is love. It has no color, no size, no shape and no preference. The fact that love is unconditional says that it doesn’t depend on “the color of his/her skin”. as long as the brother is muslim or the sister hais guursadaan ma ahane haisku dhamaadan

ScarFace   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

what type of apology is that? but at least i will give you a credit for trying...

^^It is called the rock with it apology now I assume that was'nt enough maybe should throw in some nac nac and flowers aswell eh?

Funniest thing is if your going to marry a revert make sure your children either look like you or near to your skin complextion...

You do not want to hear the phrase are you the nanny everytime you walk with a blonde kid eh :D ?

p,s

Aaliyah were did you see these educated women the ones I've seen tend to look like the average freshie.

Rose   

Sorry to bring this topic back up again but Ive only just seen it and I feel the need to reply.

Aliyah..I completely agree with you hun. I myself know quite a few young, educated somali sisters who have married revert brothers mashaAllah. People should be allowed to make their own choices so long as the other party is a MUSLIM.

LOL@the original poster and his stance on women only being allowed to marry somalis in the name of sustaining our culture. Quite laughable, really. Is marriage to you only a means to keep our culture going? Marriage is a bit more than that I think!

And the poster who fears being called a nanny in the likely event of his/her child looking completely white..all i can say to you is do not worry too much about what other people think. Just learn to explain that because our genes are recessive the kids end up lookign like the non-somali parent lolol

Okay that's all I have to say. Ta ra

To self hate is a heinous crime against the self. Those who practice this are not worthy of mention! Reverts are nice people, but shouldnt marry our sisters, daughters and loved ones! This is the preserve of the Somali man! I am not one to judge, but there are sinister motives behind those who self-hate and marry other people because of their disillusionment with their people.

''I am concerned by the extent to which Somali women throw themselves towards any new revert to Islam in the hope of a marriage made in heaven.''

This is true!

Originally posted by -MARX-:

To self hate is a heinous crime against the self. Those who practice this are not worthy of mention! Reverts are nice people, but shouldnt marry our sisters, daughters and loved ones! This is the preserve of the Somali man! I am not one to judge, but there are sinister motives behind those who self-hate and marry other people because of their disillusionment with their people.

''I am concerned by the extent to which Somali women throw themselves towards any new revert to Islam in the hope of a marriage made in heaven.''

This is true!

Why do you care? Do you own these women, unless they are your sisters and cousins, you should not care. They can marry a crippled mongolian for all I care.

Chimera   

Dumb topic!

I have a real dislike for insecure men especially when they are Somali. Let's say 100 Somali women married reverts, that's like a drop in the Somali ocean, go ahead push it to 1000(Bull.Shh), wow ten drops!!. It's still insignificant number so what's with the ''ohh it must be because Somali men are this or because Somali men are that''talk?. Where do all these cute tiny Somali kids i see walking to school everyday come from if it's such a phenomenon?(it's been a phenomenon according to some insecure folk since the days when i was still in Daycare)

Those who make these type of topics are either in the ''15 to 17 age category'' and hear all these bullshh stories about our sisters and therefore are alarmed and feel they will miss out hence why they dedicate entire topics to this non-existant issue. I can excuse these young brothers, because they have a myopic understanding of their surroundings,community and the world in general, but once they are older and actually meet someone they like this silly stuff will be gone(i was once one of them).

The other group however which i call ''the gameless-no life having-single brothers are really pathetic in my opinion, always badmouthing, always backbiting, really bitter. I don't get how a grown man can talk for days about the lives of women not related to him.

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

I have a real dislike for insecure men especially when they are Somali.

What a ridiculous statement!! It’s not easy being a Somali man in these difficult times! We face many difficult problems not least losing our sense of self! The flight from Somalia combined with settling in a new country unbeknownst to us might have eroded our confidence but this doesn’t justify the feelings of resentment and hatred towards Somali man from their counterparts. The fact that welfare benefits have become the sole income for the family and has replaced husband/father as the family provider has of course increased insecurity but this is not excused by feelings of bitterness towards Somali men. We have seen that western orientated lifestyles infused with Islamic practices have created a complete mockery of traditional family values and have contributed towards the breakdown of the families who embrace this lifestyle. I am not saying marrying reverts is ghastly shocking but I am a little concerned by how often the sole reason behind those who marry reverts are caused by their dissatisfaction with themselves!

Chimera   

Ah shut up Marx, you beginning to sound like those clowns Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson with this ''it's not easy to be..'' bullcrap. Yeah there are Somali women with self hate just like there are Somali men with self hate(which community doesn't have those types?) but the majority are proud of who they are, and if this wasn't the case our large diasporic community would have disappeared ages ago.

Somali North Americans especially the community in Minnesota are showing how strong and close-knit the ties between Somalis are. Majority are self employed, Somali students are performing well on school:

North America

''Research by state officials shows that Somali immigrants have made big strides since 2000 in moving off welfare.

A report examined families on welfare in the first quarter of 2003 and checked back with those families three years later. It found that 75 percent of Somalis statewide had either moved off welfare or were working more than 30 hours a week. The numbers in Olmsted County are even higher, with more than 83 percent of Somalis considered successful.

"Somalis are coming in with significant barriers, so the fact that they are becoming self-sufficient is a testament to their determination," said Kristy Arend, development director for the Intercultural Mutual Assistance Association, a Rochester nonprofit agency that assists immigrants''- Somalis succeed in moving off welfare

Somali Students are making progress in the US

New Immigrants in Minnesota: The Somali Immigration and Assimilation

[*] Somali student enrollment is the third highest compared to the Hmong,Laotion,Cambodian and the Spanish speakers in Minnesota.

[*]Somali student drop out rate(12.7%)

is higher than the Hmong students(5.9%)

but much lower than the Spanish students(23%)

[*]Somali students outperform

the Hmong Chinese, the Cambodian

and Spanish students in Math.

55537alv9.th.jpg

[*]Somali students reading profiency

of the English Language is the Highest

of all immigrant groups in Minnesota.

16200qd2.th.jpg

Journal of Developing Societies -Kebba Darboe

Britain

Immigration and Multiculturalism, Werner F Menski, social scientist

Somali is now the majority home language for children in many London schools, and young Somalis are beginning to come through as university students, following young South Asians along trails that they seem to have blazed a decade or so ago. These new multicultural realities are not only making themselves felt at primary or secondary school level, therefore, they now affect life and work also in universities, where a new generation of the descendants of immigrants are coming up as top students, asking many questions that we never heard before.

Somali Language

Children as young as five should learn Polish, Afghan and even Somali under plans to shake up language learning.

Children of five 'should be taught Somali in schools' By Laura Clark

The Academic Rise of Somali students at the Tower Hamlets College

Somali students are steadily climbing the Academic ladder at Tower Hamletss College with more students than ever taking A-level and vocational courses

Somali_Student_Success

The Changing Face of Ethnic Minority Entrepreneurship in Britain

new minority groups, emerging despite apparently strong immigration controls, are beginning to replace earlier communities in some places. For example in Southall, the heart of London’s Indian Sikh community, both Somali and Afghan enterprises have appeared. The Afghans occupy a number of large shops sub-divided into low-grade micro malls, mainly selling cheap clothing and household goods. The Somali businesses are on the southern fringe of the Southall shopping district; restaurants and cafés are the most prominent types of activities. In the 1980s, the premises currently occupied by Afghans and Somalis mainly accommodated Indian retailers

2mzz8k1.jpg

*Off all the immigrant groups in Britain it's only the Chinese & Somali communities that score a ''high'' when it comes to supporting one another. All of the statistics i have posted here for you, would have been impossible if our community consisted of men with self doubt or women with self hate! In my opinion Marx you are the same as those clowns Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who seek to make money on the backs of their community with this 'victim mentality'.

Don't speak for Somali people, this new generation of Somali males and females are taking care of their business, instead just speak for yourself sxb!