Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gello - The proud Soma

Somali Women and Revert Marriage Phenomenon

unknown1   

lucky is you have only 1 man. if two, then two houses, 6 or 7 kids, you are ill, have mens and then you are staying with 1st husband while you should stay with your 2nd man. that would destroy the marriage. dont you think so?

Ms DD   

unknown, you cant be that naive.

Dont u know us women are able to juggle all that and some more?

Destroy kulahaa, no, it would enhance it and live happily ever after

unknown1   

listen if you have mens do you think you can have ### with your other husband?

dont worry, insha'Allah you'll get a xabashi slave who can work for you.

ScarFace   

Why moan Mr.Gello brother pull your trousers up lugta meesha lagal and go get your halimo. Everyone is entitled to whatever floats their boat.

AAliyah416 your a confused child back in the days when life was great in SOMALIA CADAAN people used to get stones thrown at them down the beach, their plates used to get washed about 8 times with sand when they have finished eating on them. We used to treat them like dogs BUT I ASSUME YOU STILL RUNNING AFTER THEM SOOMAHA WOOOF!WALI MAADAN DAALIN? :D

Abyan   

Nimaaankaan qaraarka haayo maxaa waaye. This is just embarrasing.

I really think this thread is promoting a subliminal message of racism. So, you mean that a somali woman oo calafkeeda noqday a revert fell short? That all somali men are better than reverts? This thread is an insult to all our muslim brothers that have entered this beautiful deen. But I shouldn´t be suprised, every race has their narrowminded people. Thinking their superior or should try to preserve their "dying" heritage.

The prophet salaalahu aleyhi wasalam said in his last sermon,

"All mankind is from Adam, and an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does a black have any superiority over a white, except by piety and good action."

Intaan hadeey niigu filneen, know that,every individual can marry who they please and there´s not a darn thing you can do.

Ashkiro   

@Maybe Somali men need to take a look in the mirror if they want to know why their women seem to dislike them so, and as far as the 'plenty of successful [ ] Somali men' xaggee joogaan addeer, when 90% or more [% came from XX number of observation] of college graduates are Somali females? It is just given a Somali woman would want a man who is her equal. A man who doesn't bring dry ***** alone, but brings education, passion and beauty. But that is just my opinion.

I would agree with this statement to a degree. It reminds me of a similar segment I watched about successful college educated African American women and the lack of finding quality in their counterparts of African American men. Although the women ideally preferred their own race, they were finding it difficult to find mates in their ethnic population. Here’s where it gets a little tricky for our community. I am not sure about the statistics at this moment in time of college educated Somali women that are marrying outside of their race, often times than not, it’s those that have little or no command of the English language. (Disclaimer: Knowing English does not equate knowledge, only used for illustration purposes).

Also it's important to note, this is not a phenomenon as the title suggests, so let's not exaggerate and make that distinction.

Further, there is so much wrong with these statements:

@ps. *whispers to the girls* keep your distance from black reverts, much easier life and a lot less chances of a black eye.

@Just last Friday I saw this half white/half Somali kid....the kid was drop dead gorgeous

Emphasis on black convert is a bad choice for marriage and children mixed with white equals beauty. Yes it's an opinion and everyone is entitled to an opinion, however these opinions and I've come across them a plenty, fit into the school of thought which says: “white is right”. (good, civil, beauty, ect ect). Often times (although will be denied by the Proud Somalis) imbedded in the subconscious of Africans and their decedents.

my concern is not the marriage of two consenting muslims adults, but the extent to which somali women throw themselves towards reverts when there are plenty of practising somali brothers. this has lefted me confused and baffled.

So my question is: are somali women marrying for deen purposes or do they have something else in mind when marryinng people of other races. because we can clearly identify islam is not the issue here!

Mr.Gallo, you are exaggerating things way too much, let it rest man..If you can't find your Xaliimo, then you must quit "calaacalka." Who got hitched with who is no ones business, but themselves methinks.

Aaliyyah   

AAliyah416 your a confused child back in the days when life was great in SOMALIA CADAAN people used to get stones thrown at them down the beach, their plates used to get washed about 8 times with sand when they have finished eating on them. We used to treat them like dogs BUT I ASSUME YOU STILL RUNNING AFTER THEM SOOMAHA WOOOF!WALI MAADAN DAALIN? [big Grin]

I was simply saying what my father told me. And i think u should refrain from name calling. Besides, never said anything about marrying a convert, merely respect those who choose to..

NG...my options are not that open...thanks though... icon_razz.gif

Mr Gello drop this subject...it's none of your concern why they marry outside their race whether its religion purposes or otherwise.

NASSIR   

Though I hardly see this social trend and no one has ever taken a survey of Somali women's view of marrying reverts, I would suggest let's not give the topic a serious note.

Most Somali girls/women have strong foundation of nuclear families that reside with them and who do greatly involve into their daily decision making. Even the educated ones among us do not simply make a decision independent of their family's input. However, few facts need to be addressed.

There's mismatch to the ratio of Somali male to female in terms of upward mobility. This imbalance would indeed have an impact on the person's freedom of choice, and more women constrained by the combined effect of time, financial resources and the need for an ideal Somali person with the preferred credentials, would opt to marry a non-Somali should the opportunity presents itself. However, there's no need to worry about such trends as our country is in the middle of crisis.

The trend will indeed reverse sooner our country gets back to normal and we all go back home and participate its reconstruction. And if the younger Somali generation who live in the west simply gets diluted by cross-cultural contacts after 30 or 40 years, they would still be Somali and probably speak our beloved language.

Ashkiro, A recent study found that 70% of African American women to be single. What do you think is the cause and do you think there's correlation of their predicament to Somali women? :D

^^^^

mashallah a well expressed viewpoint which carefully considers the social changes in our society. I agree with most of what of what you said. I decided to post this thread after speaking to a female friend who vividly and passionately spoke about the massive increase in the revert marriage phenomenon. I too have noticed this worrying tread but a less extent. I am not entirely against these marriage as i am not in a postion to judge but i dont want our women chasing other men when there are so many good somali men out there. As i already mentioned, somali men are by no means perfect but its imperative that they safe-guard somali culture by marrying their own.

I can possibly understand why some somali women run after other men of different races as they think the grass in greener on the other side but marrying outside your own race induces alot of problems. I have seen this first hand.

Have hope sisters and belief in the goodness of somali men. Remain steadfast and marry your own. Instead of running away from your kind, have patience and hope in somali men. if you seen negativity in somali men you will inevitably become anti-somali, find goodness in the smallest things, however little!

I think like caamir said, this thread should come to end, before this thread takes a racial dimension. We are all muslims but diverse. Thanks for all your responses.

thanks and cheers caamir!

Mr. Gello