Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

SOL Photo Competition 2006

N.O.R.F   

Since we have become photographers over recent months I thought why not have an SOL competition for the best photo of the year (at least half year anyway). Throughtout the yer I have seen photos from Somalia, Somaliland, Oman, UAE, France, India, Iceland and probably others I cant remember at this moment in time. So come on, trawl through what you have on your PC and cameras and post the one picture that means more to you than the others. Explain the significance of that one picture, where it was taken and why you took it.

The winner will be voted for by the SOL members at the end of closing date for photo submissions. If there are too many photos then an elimination system will be devised.

Rules

Each to submit one photo of his/her taking

Closing date for entries is 31st August 2006

If more than one photo is submitted then the second photo will be disregarded

Enjoy!

178517438_981a9a42b1.jpg?v=0

My favourite beach - downtown to one side, the ocean spread out in front, and in the distance the mountains. It's breathtaking. I love coming here.

Excellent idea, Norf. I bought myself a nifty little digital camera but I have yet to use it properly (other than taking 3000 pics of my favourite child).

Lemme rummage around and find something.

Warsan: Priddy. :cool:

I was going to post this pic of Virginia Water I took two weeks ago but it looks like Warsan has beat me to the whole lake-scene.

So I'm gonna settle for my second best, which is of London. Taken standing on the millennium bridge.

190365261_8243e19d3e.jpg

Click here to see enlarged view

p.s. I better not see any of those national geogrpahic-like pics in this competition...this is an amateur's club, right?

190309830_36b479f071_o.jpg

Name: "Another Frigging Wet Day"

Date: 06 July 2006

Significance: I walk down that path every day, and on a particularly soaking and miserable day, I decided to take a picture to capture my daily misery.

STOIC   

Ahura, I can tell you were conscious of your surrounding.It surely looks depresive with the rain.I bet you that road gives you uninviting looks when it rains. :D

Great idea, brother Northerner! This competition has my seal of approval and stamp. It brings some life back into this dead forum.

Me as head of the unofficial jury of the admission, processing and rating committee of the entered photos in this competion would like to express my whole-hearted 'Good-luck' wishes and support to all the entries so far. I in my position would also like to make some valid, crediable and good-hearted recommendations to help the people, who enter this competion.

In order to win, you have to meet one of this creterions!

1. Make it something really personal (we don't want to see your face or that of your relatives, but show us something that has got a personal meaning and attachment to your life)!

2. Secondly post something unusual, something uncommon and surprising! Something rare, if you wish even go out somewhere in the wilderniss to make a stunning photo, or go to the hardest neighbourhoods in your area and photograph something really special and unusual.

3. Make it simple, often the most simple things in life win. Give us a good background information about your image! Something that will make us cry!

4. Fourthly show us a pessimistic picture with a hidden meaning in it like children playing bare footed in a rubbish dump-ground + something positive that shows a glimpse of hope! I don't know what but you're the creative minds in here!

5. Enjoy it and make some afford in order to raise the bar!

6. Don't take pictures of people and living creatures as it is disputed!

7. Finally last but not least, the photos posted so far were all brilliant and I congratulate all the people, who made the afford but we need more of them!

Show us your capibility, your good taste and creative mind!

P.S. I like to assume fake titles, but I'm in no way party of the on-goings and choosing of the winning picture, so don't try to make me like your pic. I as a muslim also don't except any bribery afterall it's out of contention, as I already clarified and stated, that I'm not a important person in this whole affair!

Once again 'Good luck and may the best Picture and Photographer win!

Newbies have rights aswell Stoic! Weren't we all once newbies?

To answer you question, since yesterday officially, I'm not a newbie anymore as I reached my 100th post, therefore becoming a nomad!

Wiilo   

pic01.jpg

You can find me walking down this st everyday,,,,

from home to work or work to home.

Go figure:...........

Raxmah   

girls26.jpg

I love taking pics, random things mostly. This is one of my favorite pics taken while I was in San Diego, California.

where: in middle of nowhere in the middle of Vietnam

why(from my memoirs): the children gathered round me and I asked all their names. Just as I was about to leave one little girl ran to me with a sprig of leaves. She held it to her nose and held it up to me. I smelled the leaves. Lemon! I'd been craving lemon leaves since I'd popped one into my mouth the first day. I chewed on the leaf. The flavour exploded in my mouth, fresh and invogorating. The girl tipped her head back and squeezed her lips into a kiss. I bent down and we exchanged loud kisses. A little boy, jealous of the attention ran to the lemon tree and returned with a whole branch. How did they know? It's my favourite, I said to Sinh. I stood there feeling giddy and free. I became aware of my mental state, almost as though I'd stepped outside of my self. So this was happiness! I'd forgotten.

when.. I fell in love. sigh

vietnamesekids.jpg

N.O.R.F   

Some great pictures, keeps them comingand dont forget to share what the pic means to you.

Valenteenah, i see work is in Wembley area, but why are you standing in the bikers lane when taking the pic? your lucky you didnt get hit, health and safety people!

Amelia, a very good pic of Vauxhall Bridge (i think) but it also captures St Pauls, The Giant Gurkin, the Natwest building

Shehehehe, very exotic and will take some beating, i think you have an unfair advantage due to more travelling

I will post tomorrow IA as soon i manage to leave the beach :cool:

Wilo, where is that then?

Stoic, where you at?

Nice Pics.

NOTE: For the competition to be fair, I suggest the size of the images be kept at 500X375 (500 width, 375 height) in pixel size ....Or whatever size you guys agree. (Check Warsan and Amelia's pics)

Size does matter. :D