Sign in to follow this  
Geel_jire

Snow blankets London for Global Warming debate

dont you just love the irony

Snow fell as the House of Commons debated Global Warming yesterday - the first October fall in the metropolis since 1922. The Mother of Parliaments was discussing the Mother of All Bills for the last time, in a marathon six hour session.

In order to combat a projected two degree centigrade rise in global temperature, the Climate Change Bill pledges the UK to reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by 80 per cent by 2050. The bill was receiving a third reading, which means both the last chance for both democratic scrutiny and consent.

The bill creates an enormous bureaucratic apparatus for monitoring and reporting, which was expanded at the last minute. Amendments by the Government threw emissions from shipping and aviation into the monitoring program, and also included a revision of the Companies Act (c. 46) "requiring the directors’ report of a company to contain such information as may be specified in the regulations about emissions of greenhouse gases from activities for which the company is responsible" by 2012.

Recently the American media has begun to notice the odd incongruity of saturation media coverage here which insists that global warming is both man-made and urgent, and a British public which increasingly doubts either to be true. 60 per cent of the British population now doubt the influence of humans on climate change, and more people than not think Global Warming won't be as bad "as people say".

source

I'm curious as to SOLers stance on this whole envorimental ... global warming mumbo jumbo (i think you can guess mine)

any tree huggers in the house :D ?

BOB   

:D @ Northerner...

Gaalo maalinba belaayo cusub bey saadaalin...Al Gore malaha wuu shiiday oo waa lacag raadis...Wallee shilin igama qaadid dheh...Global warming or not...I put my faith in Allah s.w AND siduu doono unbey noqon Insha Allah.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

:D:D:D ...Don't worry my brother ilaahey faraj khyer qaba ayuu kuu furi Insha Allah.

PS. do you still love your cup of tea?

Peace, Love & Unity.

You know meeshii laga rabay in Muslimiinta u horseedaan waxyaabahaan camal, sida camal daryeelka dhulka iyo deegaankaba guud ahaan. Meeshii laga rabay inay horseed heegan ah ugu ahaadaan ayee dadka sameynaayo ku qoslaan.

Eebba ayaa noogu hibeeye inaa noqono caretakers of this Earth. Waa xil weyn oo Quraanka Suuban ku qoran. We should not abuse this xil nor take it lightly; we should not plunder earth's resources by overusing when it is not necessary. There are some friends of mine -- some wadaado -- ku qoslaayo markaa ka hadashid waxaan camal, that you care about the environment, weyba kugu qoslaayaan as a though inaa joke gareyneysid camal.

It is not only about the global warming, it is about the issue of caring the environment we live in. Soomaalida and other Muslim communities especially kuma fiicno waxaas, only guryahooda moodaan inay nadaafada ku fiicantahay. Caado ee u leeyihiin ma'aha inay waraaq yar ee diifka iskaga tiraan ee sii haayaan until meesha lagu ridaayo ka gaarayaan and not litter. Jidka iyagoo iskaga tuuraayo arkee. Kuwa gaariga xataa ku heyn karin wax yar arkee, oo jidka iyagoo socdo tuuraayo waxee isticmaaleen. We are simply not good at recycling, too. It is a mentality attitude, which hopefully I hope will change.

About the global warming, it is not about believing it or not per se. It is about the caring dhulkaan anaga dhan ku wada noolnahay, whose clean air we breath alone mahad aan la sheegi karin leh. Polluting the clean air is real concern. Pollution is real, go see Chinese cities. Deforestation is undisputed fact, go see Jubbooyinka in southern Soomaaliya. Genetical modification and engineering of food seeds is unavoidable in those modern times. Fresh water is increasingly hard to come by. Deliberate contimination of rivers, lakes, et cetera, by profit-driven corporations is a reality we cannot avoid.

We Muslims should have been the vanguards of movements against all those pillaging, contaminating and unnatural and illegal acts against Earth and its resources.

BOB   

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

i think of it as one really big scam ... like the boogy man .. only this scam costs billions of dollars

Exactly...that's why I said Al Gore waa lacag raadis oo Bush ayaa ka dhameeyay intii yareyd ee uu haayey. :D laakiin maxaa ka rabtaahee wallee shilin aan leeyahay ma arko.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Well put yaa MMA, we the Muslims were supposed to be the forefront of all these kind of initiatives, but unfortunately we are ridiculing it if like it doesn't concern us.

BOB   

Originally posted by Gheelle.T:

but unfortunately we are ridiculing it if like it doesn't concern us.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Brother the reason I'm ridiculing this particular initiative is...I don't trust one bit the people who are involved and running this project...they're all conmen and yes Al Gore included and same goes for this so-called 'credit crunch' as far as I'm concerned it's another scheme to squeeze the poor more than they've already been squeezed.

Peace, Love & Unity.

roobleh   

Following is what Calif Abu Bakr, radiyalaahu canhu, ordered his army before a war:

"You must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, nor an aged man. Bring no harm to the trees , nor burn them with fire, especially those which are fruitful."

He must be a tree hugger, ah? Subhaanalaah! So everything non-Muslims care about must be rubbish?

Originally posted by roobleh:

Following is what Calif Abu Bakr, radiyalaahu canhu, ordered his army before a war:

"You must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, nor an aged man.
Bring no harm to the trees , nor burn them with fire, especially those which are fruitful."

He must be a tree hugger, ah? Subhaanalaah! So everything non-Muslims care about must be rubbish?

^ help me connect the dots here sxb

1- Caliph abu bakr said "bring no harm to the trees"

2- anyone who doesnt burn trees is obviously a tree hugger

clearly the only possible conclusion that can be drawn given the facts is

3- I must be implying Abu bakr sadiq is a tree hugger and that i think everything non-muslims care about is rubbish

am i following you ?

MMA sxb arinta ah inaan si fataalnimo ah loogu tasarufin deeqaha ilaahay sida biyo iyo waxyaabahay dabiicaga mahan waxa aan ka soo hor jeedo shakhsiyan.

aniguba waan qabaa sunta hawada lagu shubayo in la dhaafo iyo waxyaabaha dhib geysanaya .. lakin waxaan marnaba iga degayn sheekada ah aduunka dhan baa kululaanaya dhowr sano ka bacdo oo barafkoo dhan baa dhalaalaya .. waan isku dayay inaan wax ka akhriyo lakin wax macquul ah markaan ka waayay ayaan dhaafay.

sidaas darteed laba arimood aad isku dhex galinayso kala saar ... global warming waa sheeko baraley .... lakin way ka madaxbanaantahay qaabka loogu tasarufo enviromentka.

Cara.   

GJ, proud tree-hugger here :D

Really, "global warming" is a misnomer. It's more accurate to call it climate change. The average global temperature is projected to go up, but some places WILL get colder. This is because wind patterns and ocean currents will be perturbed, leading to local fluctuations in precipitation. What's more, nobody is predicting that Siberia will be 45 deg Celsius in a few decades. Most climatologists are talking in the range of an increase of ~5 deg over a century! And the fact that it's happening is undisputed, the only question is whether human agency is involved. BTW, the "baraf" AKA the polar icecaps and ice sheets have been melting away for years. Sure, they won't all disappear for a while, but their reduction translates into higher sea levels.

The biggest problem, in my view, is that the world's poor will bear the brunt of even minor changes in climate. It's not New York or London that lives on sustenance farming that can be wiped out by unending droughts, or disruptive floods. Yet it is major urban centers that probably contribute the most to the phenomena. Go figure.

You're right to be unconvinced. The evidence is not as cut and dried as some people will argue. I think the intelligent thing to do is to read up on as you did, but I hope you understand that there are powerful groups who want everyone to dismiss the topic out of hand. Aren't you properly skeptical of the capitalist agenda? :D

I think sometimes somali's and others enjoy being conspiracy theorist for the sake of it. There is no 'stance/debate' on global warming. Without even looking at the scientific data, one should be able to conclude by common sense that emitting harmful chemicals(greenhouse gases) into the atmosphere, deforestation etc is gonna have an affect on the earth's temperature.

It's not about muslims or gals, even countries like the UAE from what I've read are starting to look at ways to reduce pollution etc through the use of green technology.

That being said, the real effects of global warming will not affect me, so I could care less to be honest.