Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Necklace or Ring?

Blessed   

What's sentimental about asking someone to share their life with you in exchange for a piece(s) gold? Taas aan garan. I put it all down to wedding traditions along with the bright coloured bed sheets, xeedho and hope he does sentimental privately on his own in the 'happily ever after'.

Insha Allah khayr@unexpected turn. smile.gif

LOl@Blessed. I think the value of the ring is to show the man's commitment. And this one particular piece of jewely was decided to be the ultimate confession item. Women can ask for whatever they choose of their man, but this culture of asking or waiting for a ring is a bit bizzare. To me, the man who says I will come to your family on Saturday and brings loads of cash and asks your hand in marriage is as commited as the man who springs a diomand ring in a crowded restaurant. I think our culture is better minus the ugly neclaces. LOL!

What I'm saying is if he gives me something I would like, whatever the current tradition is, I will see it as a gift and a gift always carries sentiment. The sentiment has gone out of it generally cause there's a fanfare of societal hoopla accompanying it. It becomes an exchange when there is value of a monetary nature attached.

De Beers and company brainwashed us to believe the ring is supposed to represent a couple's love and commitment, IMO the ring serves a more functional purpose...to let others know that you're off the market :D and also to remind you that you're off the market... it's actually not that romantic if you think about it. it's the equivalent of a leash on your neck.

Aaliyyah   

Growing up I always dreamed of white dresses and rings and all that. But,now the idea of wearing cultural somali clothings and that cultural beads and braiding my hair appeals to me and maybe the guy will wear macawiis lol...

Anyhow, this is the first time I heard about that necklace. The idea is appealing thou. Perhaps I will upgrade the necklace...

A picture to get an idea... icon_razz.gif

Somali_Display.jpg

salaam

Juxa   

blessed i agree

the ring will pay for your one way escape ticket when faarax turns out to be asbax.

jewellary has no sentiment when it comes to the big M. he gives, you take khalaas

whilst he is at it, he should give it all (ring, jijin, necklace and sanduuqs full of diracs for you, your gf, family and neighbours)

adam, the necklace you showed comes in different, alot nice styles, some with gold, some with silver.

Malika   

I just find all these insignificant really,rings ama big weddings ama sanduuq diracs ama hanoqotoo seed dahab aa..insignificant. I must be from mars.

Now a villa on the shores of Indian Ocean,I might treasure.. :D

Juxa   

^^ dream small lady, inti laga gaarayo the villa one needs wax lagu sii sugo.

ps: it is not matter of significance, but lets admit it is nice to get gifts, small or big (wax uun)

Malika   

^ :D ,that is where I am going wrong then - anigu koleybaa a villa in the Seychells iyo Zanzibar baa ii muqaan.. :D

I know dear..small ama large,its good.

Chimera   

A book about Somali art called ''Somalia in word and image'' has really beautiful pictures of historic gold and silver necklaces and other jewelry. These type of necklaces were sold by our female warrior ancestors to fund the resistance movements of their fathers, husbands and sons fighting multiple imperial powers. The mere sight of such a necklace on the person i love gives me goosebumps, my very own warrior princess.

Ja, ja to each their own.

Aaliyah how many times have you changed your name?(i know Pot -> Kettle) lol@Aaliyyah, you're running out of choices, are you trying to prevent any new Aaliyah's from signing up with that name? :D

Aaliyyah   

^lol Adam. I was trying to get rid of the numbers in my nickname. N it wouldnt let me both Aaliyah and Aalia. They are like the name is reserved for existing member...So yeah I got a little creative and added a Y lol...

salaam

Chimera   

That existing member would be you lol, once you use a specific name, then change it for a new one, you can never use the old name again in the future.

Aaliyyah   

lol@ that existing member would be you oh my god. That is so s*****.... I should be able to go back to my old nicknames when I want to...

Anyways, I am alright with Aaliyyah. I won't dare to change it now that I know I can't get it back lol...

salaam

Blessed   

--- appologies. I love these necklaces, sheekada meel kalaan kala soo dhacay. I was given pieces from my great ayeeyos necklace as a family tradition. I love it dearly and will get that book too, Insha Allah. Thanks for recommending. smile.gif

Shehehehehe,

I think we're on the same page, it's not the gifts that I'm against but the usual manner of giving it and the false symbolism actually takes all sentiment out of marriage, IMHO.

Juxa,

LOL@escape ticket. Fulaysanidaa.. Naa waa inaad asagaa qaraacdaa oo uu kabahiisa ka cararo. Hehehe.

Aaliyyah..

Fariid! Traditional weddings are wey to go. :cool: You can get beautiful cunaabi pieces from back home and Kenya too.

Chimera   

Aaliyah this is why there are multiple members with stars(*) next to their names lol

Blessed, the backstory of the necklaces and their historic usage is what quintupled my appreciation for this piece of jewelry, but the ruthless fashionist Chocolate&Honey made me afraid of ever presenting this as a gift.