Sign in to follow this  
Hawdgirl

Somalis Drinking Urine in Drought!

Hawdgirl   

From: Agence France-Presse By Matthew Lee and Bogonko Bosire in Nairobi

February 17, 2006

AT least seven people have died of dehydration in Somalia over the past month as severe water shortages from a killer regional drought force many to drink their own urine, an aid agency said.

In neighbouring Kenya, the drought-related death toll of at least 40 rose as police said four women, including two sisters, on a desperate hunt for water were killed in the collapse of a nearly dry well in the parched northwest.

Oxfam International said communities in southern and central Somalia were living in searing 40C heat with only three glasses a day per person for drinking, washing and cooking.

"The situation is as bad as I can remember," said Abdullahi Maalim Hussein, a Somali elder who accompanied a recent Oxfam assessment mission to the worst-hit areas.

"Some people are dying and children are drinking their own urine because there is simply no water available for them to drink," he said in a statement released in Nairobi by the British-based group.

Advertisement:

The tiny amount of water available, for which many families have to walk up to 70km to get, is one-twentieth of the daily supply recommended by minimum humanitarian standards, Oxfam said.

This looks the last storm by which if we don't repent from our sins, it will contain the remaining of our race in open grave yards.

Ilaahow nacafi, You are The Most Merciful, indeed.

Naden   

This drought is not unusual in the region and is devastating for our agrarian society, in the same way it would be for any other society. What sins are you talking about? Personal sins, tribal sins, lack-of-government sins? The only sin I could see if we don't help these folks whichever way we can. Those sending money home to their families are already doing good work. Helping Somalis we don't know is the next step.

By the way, we Somalis are not a race. A national/ethnic group? Yes, but dear god not a race.

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

This looks the last storm by which if we don't repent from our sins, it will contain the remaining of our race in open grave yards.

Originally posted by naden:

This drought is not unusual in the region and is devastating for our agrarian society, in the same way it would be for any other society. What sins are you talking about? Personal sins, tribal sins, lack-of-government sins? The only sin I could see if we don't help these folks whichever way we can. Those sending money home to their families are already doing good work. Helping Somalis we don't know is the next step.

By the way, we Somalis are not a race. A national/ethnic group? Yes, but dear god not a race.

If you think its not unusual, then you believe something that is allien to us. Our Islamic religion teaches us that the calamity and the hardships that befall on societies are nothing but accumulated sins. Sin is defined in Islam, its when the people/individuals deviate from their respective religion, i.e. Islam.

I dislike to flirt with the game of assumptions, but its obvious from your expressions that you are looking things at an unsomalian way! We, somalis, are a race among the many races in this world, but more importantly an special race with many unique characteristics of historical significance. That is a fact you will never obtain from the books you read from. :cool:

Naden   

No, good Castro. It is drought, nothing more :( . East Africa's been hit in one way or another for the past 50 years.

I don't believe the evil of some is making others die of thirst. If true, a great many of us would drop of thirst running through the mall of America, streets of Kenya or biking through suburbs of Amsterdam. Certainly not the unfortunate ones who are in Somalia tortured by alternating cycles of man-made and weather-made horrors.

^ You don't think this drought is a theodicy, good naden?

Naden   

I am familiar with the definition of sin in the Quran but fail to see how a natural disaster can be explained in terms of individual sin. God says in his good book that "And if any one earns sin. he earns it against His own soul: for Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom." (Sura 4, Verse 111). No collective sin we have committed as Somalis, real or otherwise, is applicable, only individual sins that count against the individual.

I don't know what you mean by UnSomali but I assure you there is no such thing as race and certainly not a Somali one. Unique, we certainly are.

[/qb]

If you think its not unusual, then you believe something that is allien to us. Our Islamic religion teaches us that the calamity and the hardships that befall on societies are nothing but accumulated sins. Sin is defined in Islam, its when the people/individuals deviate from their respective religion, i.e. Islam.

I dislike to flirt with the game of assumptions, but its obvious from your expressions that you are looking things at an unsomalian way! We, somalis, are a race among the many races in this world, but more importantly an special race with many unique characteristics of historical significance. That is a fact you will never obtain from the books you read from. :cool: [/QB]

Naden   

Natural catastrophes are divine as with all that is a creation of the almighty, just not defined and certainly not justified in terms of personal sin.

You can pronounce me as anything you want as long as you don't call me a crazy islan as another brother did in an earlier thread ;) .

^So, to you nothing divine is justfied?

I can pronounce you the second of the last wave of transformed science believers! :eek:

Castro   

naden, here's how Alle-ubaahne and I met. It was on a similar topic. It seems that both he and I are mysteriously attracted to such matters. After some trials and tribulations, we are now at peace with one another.

Naden   

Interesting thread, Castro!

Didn't think for one moment that I would be debating theodicy as an explanation for a drought in 2006 given what we know about weather patterns and so on.

Originally posted by Castro:

naden,
how Alle-ubaahne and I met. It was on a similar topic. It seems that both he and I are mysteriously attracted to such matters. After some trials and tribulations, we are now at peace with one another.

dont know whats being argued. but the man has a point. if nothing else, we are to blame for not having a nation to atleast launch aid from.

Castro that link was a laughter deserving one, indeed. Look, saxib, I think I'll rejoice the return of that rift with higher intensity, ee let's do it again to see if we can venture a communication line with opposing views. ;)

Castro, I resent you with all my feircest impulses, and yet I admire the changes you are currently undergoing to reclaim your true status, the uncompromising rank I wish for you. Keep changing to the best, so that we can fight the real causes in shoulder to shoulder. smile.gif

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

quote:Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

dont know whats being argued. but the man has a point. if nothing else, we are to blame for not having a nation to atleast launch aid from.
Ninyahow adiga waad igu kacsaneyde/dhirifsaneyd ee goormaad dagtay, maxaanse kaa haleeyay waagaad mudaaharaadka igu qaaday? Siyaasad iyo waxbaad iga daba wadaa marwalba! :eek:

Castro   

^ We all change on the outside ninyahow. Hopefully the (good) core remains the same. I've no desire to have enmity with anyone, saaxib. Definitely not with mighty Alle-ubaahne. :D

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

dont know whats being argued. but the man has a point.

How do you do it saaxib while still looking good?

if nothing else, we are to blame for not having a nation to atleast launch aid from.

A lot of good nationhood did for Kenya and specially Ethiopia. The poster child for African poverty, drought and starvation. Remember LiveAid and Live8? :(