Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The RIGHT Age!

Faheema.   

LoL, NGONGE doesn't care if she cooks, cleans, puts out the trash or even cleans after herself. He just wants his Cuppa tea topped up while he's watching his favourite Soup-Opera Knight without a Horse :D

Rahima   

You got me there NG, i was ready for a rumble ;) .

Seriously though, five is way too young to be going anywhere near the stove or anything hot.

You'd be surprised at the number of children that are brought into the ER with burns. I'd say that for now stick to getting her to make her bed, move up to the kitchen supervised at 7 or so.

And i don’t think that what age you start with the actual cooking matters, as long as you teach them other responsibilities. I remember that when i was young, i was only allowed to go near the microwave at 8, started helping with the dishes at 10 or so (i could reach the sink comfortably then), and using the stove at 13. Now, i can cook most things, i may not be a chef, but we get buy happily :D .

NGONGE   

^^ I like the way you comfortably moved through the ages there and made it sound like you're not that much older than 13. :D

It's the summer holidays and I'm trying to get them into new things. Seeing that Liverpool are playing tonight, it would have been nice to get home after work, put my feet up and enjoy the game whilst sipping a cup of tea that she made.

ps

The seven year old already makes breakfast unsupervised but only when she's in the mood. When I say breakfast, I mean toasted bread, cornflakes and the like. Now I know that the other one is going to copy her sooner or later. Might as well introduce her to it first.

pps

They already have a stool that they use when brushing their teet and I caught them several times dragging it to the kitchen (to get a drink). This reminds me of the late Bernie Mack's Milk and Honey Monologue. :D

Rahima   

I'm officially a quarter of a century NG, no more pretending here :D

Perhaps my mother was very cautious, but i'm sure you know what i'm getting at. These things come with time, ease up on the little one, let her be a child and do what children do best, play ;) .

NGONGE   

I'm offering her a five-year-old's dream. An empty cup, loads of sugar, a spoon and box of teabags. Most girls her age would give their best Barbie for such a chance.

I seriously believe we’re underestimating the abilities of children that age nowadays. I mean I am not going to punish her or show disappointment if she does not get it right. However, I really think she can do it. And, no, not because she’s a special child but because the skills of five-year-olds are under utilised these days.

Ps

You know the phobia women (and many men) have when it comes to doing chores? It's not inherent. It comes later in life. At five these chores are the best thing EVER. :D

Nephissa   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Neph

Xan time: esh mi3na homa? howa e7na wilad el sha'3aala?)
:D

Ana asif, al 7anu 7aram! :D:D . Esh mi3na laakin kalaam ^ fooq :D . Mush 3arif walahi 7itaa wa7ed kalaaam.. :confused: [ icon_razz.gif ]

Nephissa   

L0L. ahahha! you're alone in this, mate, I already told you I had one:

Originally posted by Nephthys:

I remember When I was about 8, I would beg
eedo Habiibo
[my chaariyad then]
to give me some dough whenever she had to bake cookies for special occassions and Eidaha, [/QB]

NGONGE   

Heh@Neph

Xiin, adna ma ku jirta dadkaan jariyadaha laha? Somalido waxay ku maahmahda: Ana Amir Wa Anta Amir :D

Zafir   

NG, don't let this "jaariyad" business fool you into thinking it's class/wealth related, it's and was as norm as dirac without garbasaar. If Somalia would have been in peace for few more years, I would have probably ended up as one. Heck, the Somali refugees in Kenya's refugee camps have jaariyad. No joke.

As for the topic; It's never to early.

I loathe cooking and cleaning I did so much of it in my youth. Loathe it.

It's interesting that it's kitchen skills that are top of the list for girls. I'm wondering what's top of the boy list?

NG, don't tease us when you know full well you won't allow your princess around hot water. If I were you I'd focus my attention on practising taking care of your grown-up son. Seems to be the rage amongst Somalis here.

NGONGE   

^^ My grown-up son? Err, erm, err but I, I was a good boy and never did anything silly in my youth. He's an imposter.

ps

Have you seen how soft most of the other girls have become? I was expecting fireworks. :D