Sign in to follow this  
Element 6

Anonymous Call from Somalia

Marshal McLuhan coined the term the medium is the message, and for Somalis the internet is truly the message – this website is a prime example. We have used this medium to its full potential – online radio, news and other information sources online.

Which brings me to my point - I got this new program it works like msn – more like audio msn. [i won’t say the name due to an advertisement policy], but lets just say it’s somewhere between sky and hype. The audio quality is amazing – the sound quality is better than the phone.

Here’s the thing, I used my real name as my username – the program has a search function and you can search people – like the word ‘Somali’ and every Somali person whose online we’ll appear. These people in Kismayo did that – so they dialed me up and asked if I was Somali and I told I was. They were describing the place and telling me how business was booming and that we should all go back. – So now I talk to people from the entire internet café – a lot of interesting people – some even agreed to e-mail pictures of the city – pictures of the beach, coffee shops, and the market. Y’all should try this program.

So you are a skype enthusiast huh? It is a pretty neat tool which might work for many nomads.

It would be cool if the nomads registered their SOL usernames and talked to each other on the phone (throug the internet ofcourse, but this ain't no Paltalk. Much better).

FCC chairman Micheal Powell once said "it is over" refering to Skype and its potential to take on the big telephone companies.

http://www.skype.com

Does it COST?

and if Does, How Much You got to pay?

I dont mean does it cost as in Buying the actual thing But Does it Cost in the Telephone Bills, will they send you a thing that would be a a skyhype charge.

BTW, its cool.

It would be cool for people to start using the program. I started using the program just this week and its amazing.

The program is free of charge - but there's a premuim option, where you can call long distance on your phone - its like purchasing a calling card, you buy it when you need it.

All the information is on their site.

Good luck

For the nomads who are new to SKYPE, I hope the following simple info helps you. I have been a member for a while and it is really an amazing tool once you figure it all out. It might not be for everyone.

This is how it works.

1. Let us say you have a computer and you live in Columbus.

2. Your aunt Xaliimo has another computer and lives in Laascaanood.

3. She downloads the program in her computer and gives herself a username (LA_QUEEN )

4. You also download the program and register your username (Bad_Boy_Columbus)

5. You call each other (provided you know each other's username). Everything else is history

6. Fill out your profile if you want other Somalis to find you when they search for the word Somali or Somalia. Be careful. You will get weird calls from other Somalis who don't know you. Use it at your own risk.

NGONGE   

I was introduced to this program a while back. I have it on my PC at home but only have two people on my “pal list†(one was the guy who introduced me to it). It’s a nice little program I agree.

nafta   

Testimonials

It's through this program that i found my soulmate, my other half, my hubby to be.

If it wasn't for skype, I would still lead this empty life alone. I thank you Skype, for making my life more bearable.

Now me and my Samuel L Jackson look-alike from the bushes of Xamar will tread in holy matrimony next month.

All the nomads of SOL are invited, all you can eat buffet of bariis and xalwad will be provided ofcourse.

See you there then!

Thanks nafta for the invitation.

but that time i'll be having great date with ..........

would u plz keep mine for the next Morning ???

:D:D:D

Salaan...

It truly and finally dawned on me the true definition of "global village" the other day. I was online MSN and my sister and her children came online with her camera turned on at their home in Xamar. I would have never expected this sooner to happen a house in Xamar hooked to the Internet 24 hours a day and on camera and voice-chatting.

Magoow waala hormaray.

I downloaded it once and uninstalled it just as quick. The idea of complete strangers trying to ring you and make conversation seems eerily awkward. This is different from paltalk where you can just join a room and not have to chat with any1 in particular.

Might give it another shot in the future. So whats your username Element 6? ;)

Originally posted by Element 6:

Marshal McLuhan coined the term the medium is the message, and for Somalis the internet is truly the message – this website is a prime example. We have used this medium to its full potential – online radio, news and other information sources online.

Which brings me to my point - I got this new program it works like msn – more like audio msn.
[i won’t say the name due to an advertisement policy]
, but lets just say it’s somewhere between sky and hype. The audio quality is amazing – the sound quality is better than the phone.

Here’s the thing, I used my real name as my username – the program has a search function and you can search people – like the word ‘Somali’ and every Somali person whose online we’ll appear. These people in Kismayo did that – so they dialed me up and asked if I was Somali and I told I was. They were describing the place and telling me how business was booming and that we should all go back. – So now I talk to people from the entire internet café – a lot of interesting people – some even agreed to e-mail pictures of the city – pictures of the beach, coffee shops, and the market. Y’all should try this program.

will download it when i get home insha laah

mojam   

Libaax,

Can you place a call using this technology to someone who doesn't have a computer using their phone number.