Sign in to follow this  
Herer

your RELIGION on your CV

Herer   

CV's usually tells the employers who you are,your academic qualification,your past experience etc.

But should we state our religion in CV or just Keep off it.

NGONGE   

Depends on the job really. If you're applying for a job as an Imam in a mosque, it would help your case no end if you happened to mention you are Muslim too.

Juje   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Depends on the job really. If you're applying for a job as an Imam in a mosque, it would help your case no end if you happened to mention you are Muslim too.

:D:D

qandho ku dishey

Ibtisam   

Err Ngonge that is a poor example- it would be as silly, even if you had all the other information and knowledge to be applying for an Imam without being a Muslim- your knowledge will tell you, that you are disqualified.

No need to mention your religion- even if you are teaching Islam- mentioning you are Muslim does not really help you- it is like women who base their midwifery application on- I can do it because I have four kids.

NGONGE   

^^ Adigu it seems like you woke up this morning and put your airhead masar on. :mad:

I was clearly taking the micky there, dammit. :D

Miriam1   

I have a personal rule in life - never discuss Religion and Politics at work and/or school (excluding trusted friends). Keep to general harmless topics such as the kids (if you have any), tv/movies/books/events (non-religious and political), never annouce loudly your taking time of for any specific reason. Keep your ethnicity a mystery if pressed - say east-africa - if pressed further say Somalia - if questioned about piracy or al shabab - nod slighlty "yea its horrible" walk away

Exceptions are ofcourse if you work in a religious organization or for a political party/cabinet etc.

These discussions always bring out an ugly side of your co-workers you can do without and push people's focus away from the real work at hand to something that has nothing to do about whether I support the minaret ban or not!

There is seriously no point in telling prospective employers your religion. It has nothing with how well you do your job. The whole point of an interview is proving the simple fact that I can do this well and I can also be your new bestfriend smile.gif

If your thinking, I need special accodomations for prayer etc etc. GET THE JOB first and demand second.

Johnny B   

I think it should be part of the CV.

Since all it says about you is weather you're superstitious or not. :D

The downside would be though, people, specially deeply religious people tend to strongly DISLKE ( if not hate ) people of different spritual views, hence would not hire them on that ground alone.

ADNAAN   

your name gives away your religious identity anyway but in some moslim countries its considered normal. Some even add it to their activities and hobbies section. It could even boost your chances of employment over their, but over here they might even put your a$$ on a watch list ..watch out.

Salma   

Well, I believe as Adnan said,your name will give a further info about your religion,though that's not the case all the time.. Away from the well-known islamic names like Ahmed, Mohamed, Mahmoud, Ali, Hussain or Omar, not every Maher is a Muslim and not every Michelle is a christian... Anyway, personally, I don't think it's a must thing till I am asked about it..

Abwaan   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

hahaha

Khayr   

Silliest question ive heard.

If anything, it would be a liability and prevent you from getting a job.

Unfortunately, for most muslims - our names give it away.

Fortunately for me, I've changed mines to Bernstein. Go goooo promotion :D