Sign in to follow this  
maakhir_ladyuk

LasQoray Jetty project

Hello all, I would like to start a new thread on the subject of the Las Qoray Jetty Rehabilitation project that is ongoing in Las Qoray, Sanaag region. I have a personal interest in this project and I would like to introduce Nisar Majid who is doing some research on the project and the Somali diaspora. He has prepared an introduction to himself and some of his research questions below.

Nisar   

Hello camel threaders. Thanks to maakhir_lady for the introduction and starting off this new thread. My name is Nisar Majid and I have been working in the Horn of Africa since 1998 for various organizations and have especially worked in the Somali populated areas of the Horn.

I am now living in the U.K., in Bristol, and started a PhD two years ago. The title of my research project is ‘Somalis in the Global Political Economy: the Limits and Possibilities of Indigenous Transnational Development’. I have known Horn Relief (Fatima Jibrell and Degan Ali) for many years and they have given me permission to look at the Las Qoray Jetty Project as a case study for the PhD as it is about mobilising the diaspora for developmental purposes.

I have already spoken to a lot of people about the project, in Somalia, Kenya and the U.K., and I would be interested to hear from more people who have an opinion about the project. Some of the general questions I have are:

- Why are people interested or not to support the Jetty Project?

- How has support been generated and mobilised?

- How does generation or age and gender influence peoples’s interest or involvement in the Project?

- How do the local contexts in Somalia and in the diaspora influence people’s involvement and support of the Project?

I am happy for people to contact me and develop a discussion either publicly or privately.

Thanks and hope to hear from some of you,

nisar

Welcome to SOL Nisar and hope you'll get some positive responses from Somalis in this site.

That been said, I think there are few guys in here who are either worked in the project or campaigned for it, and would know a lot more than rest. Where are J11,Nassir,Hunguri, and Koora? I will comment some of the question you have posted bit later.

Originally posted by Nisar:

I am happy for people to contact me and develop a discussion either publicly or privately.

nisar

Geelle i only asked him becuz of this quoted sentence nasir mensioned,,,, i might be helpful to him

Nisar   

Garaad Bari, I think there is a facility on the site to send private messages but i'm new to the site so i don't know how it works yet.

Nisar   

Thanks Gheele. T, thanks for the welcome and i think you are right - those that know about the project will have more to say.

(just clicked - a PM is a private message i guess)

Paragon   

How's the project going anyway?

I think Nassir and Xuddeedi among others are privy to this matter.

Welcome Nisar.

Welcome back mi'lady of Maakhir smile.gif

Cowke   

I been monitoring this makhiri project of las qoray for a while now. Here is a few pics of the construction that is occuring. I been monitoring it because it can lead to conflict of interest between bossaso port and las qoray port. The competition will be good for puntland however their is bad side to it also. But i won't get into now.

Here are the pics of the construction of the port, the biggest project in civil-war somalia.

sawiro%20042.jpg

sawiro%20021.jpg

sawiro%20038.jpg

4521.jpg

sawiro%20034.jpg

sawiro%20028.jpg

NASSIR   

- Why are people interested or not to support the Jetty Project? - How has support been generated and mobilised? -

Nisar, wlc to SOL. I am as well not very privy to the subject but I'll try my best to answer your questionaire. I have attended a number of communal meetings and fund raising events.

The main reason people, Somalis of Sanaag and Sool region, are interested in the completion of this project is to first revive this ancient commercial city of Laasqoray (Las Koray or Laas Qorey) by building this port. HR has commissioned a number of agencies that conducted surveys among the businesses currently based in the region and Boosaaso and they concluded that a significant number of the respondents are in favor of this project. The agency has as well mobilized the community both inside and the Diaspora and the enthusiasm and support shown for the project have been unprecedented. This is because there is a critical need of infrastracture for the vast regions of Sanaag and Sool, and thus reverse the socio-economic decline of its inhabitants, the bulk of which have also moved to Bosaaso, in consequence.

The agency also wants to form a partnership not with private ownership interests but with the public, so that the governance structure that has already bee set up remains neutral and beneficial to the Isolated inhabitants, most of whom are pastoralists.

With the beginning of the global financial meltdown and the rise of Piracy in Puntland, donors have been reluctant to honor their promises but they remain steadfast to continue their assistance should the storms mentioned subside.

How does generation or age and gender influence peoples’s interest or involvement in the Project? -

Every age has contributed. The old generation and Women(Somalia's silent leaders) have been the most enthusiastic and the most supportive.

How do the local contexts in Somalia and in the diaspora influence people’s involvement and support of the Project?

As I said the local support or its direct involvement is huge but there are external and internal obstacles--a common feature of Africa's underdevelopment in this sector. The Laasqoray Jetty project nevertheless will commence. It has had a huge impact on almost every region of Somalia.

Ps. There are documents available online if you are interested.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by J11:

How's the project going anyway?

I think Nassir and Xuddeedi among others are privy to this matter.

Welcome Nisar.

Welcome back mi'lady of Maakhir
smile.gif

Xudeedi and Koora definately have more info than I.