Sign in to follow this  
FatB

moving out

FatB   

why is it so hard for somali mothers to let go and allow their 24 year old son to move out?

ailamos   

you'll understand when you're older and are a parent yourself... parental love is difficult to define ;) at least they don't kick you out when you're 18 and disoriented...

B   

Somali parents are over-protective. They need to let go. I moved out only to get away from the daily interference in my life and that fact, my mother was doing too much for me. But not sure how long I have before I return to that life.

OOOOOOH COOOOOME ON!!! You don't understand why a mother would be reluctant on letting her own flesh and blood go? seriously? Of course it is harder for somali mothers... (don't make me give you a shpeel) Listen all i know is in the near future when i have a son insha'allah (Artificially inseminates of course) Bananka baan uu turi @ the tender age of 18... Kibir baa niga buxaan!

There is never a right way to fly out of the nest, the best thing i can offer you to do from expereince is to do it gradually. Don't wake up one day & pack up eveything but the kitchen skin.

slowly transition, and please for the love of god DO NOT become a complete stranger and start acting brand new... Because ma'arkino you will need them (just like B over here & his situation) ;o)

Family la'aan waa rafaad.

I agree with Somalicentric, I live at home and i'm also 24. No major bills to pay, comfort of home and living with both parents.

NO MAJOR BILLS TO PAY!

which means i earn more and can save more. its a win win buddy.

I'm not married yet so why would i need my own house just yet.

You can be independent at home.

plus more and more Cadaan kids are choosing to stay at home longer simply becuase of the ludicrouc house prices in the south east of England.

B   

are you white. if the whites decide to jump off a bridge are you are going to jump.

B   

you can say that again? Its been a good experience nonetheless! but still, I havent been kicked out and there is hope. my problems are solveable.

"Freedom" this & "freedom" that... Is all i hear w/my friends.

I am only 22 & i know if i want to move out in order to do something that is not suitable infront of my peoples, then i think that is a reason to NOT DO IT at all!!

LOL

JB no need to judge here, you know you've had your fair share of "Micheal jackson lugta wee lugta waaw" days ;) Nothing wrong w/partying... If done in moderation (can't be a square all your life) Just be real w/it no need for a pretense!

Napoleon   

The sooner you move out the better, I moved out when I was 18 some ten years ago, never looked back since then. The sooner you learn to be self-reliant, the better.