Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Italy mourns illegal immigrants

69B4777FBEAC48B59A2627CE751111E9.jpg

"I am crying for my brothers"

Somali mourner

May Allah bless their souls. Samir iyo imaan Ala haka siiyo waalidkod iyo walaalo huud.

Ramadan Kariim Nomads.

Teary tributes were paid in Rome to 13 Somali immigrants who died at sea in a desperate attempt to reach Europe's shores.

Hundreds of mourners on Friday filed past their coffins, laid out in front of Rome's city hall, paying last respects to the unnamed men and woman who sought better life but fell victims to cold and hunger instead at sea.

Survivors of the nightmarish 16-day voyage, rescued last Sunday by Italian coastguards, said about 50 more corpses had been dumped at sea.

"I am crying for my brothers," said on Somali mourner.

About 150 Somali immigrants and several hundred other mourners stood in sombre silence as 13 hearses arrived one by one and city officials placed the coffins on a raised platform.

Shock

The tragedy has traumatized many Italians and Rome responded with a formal ceremony to honour the dead at a vast square that was once the heart of the Roman empire.

"I came to express compassion with these people who fled their homeland in search of a better life only to find suffering and death," an elderly Roman woman said, crying and making the sign of the cross.

Many Somali woman covered their faces in their headscarves, while others held high their national flag.

Deaths

At least 12 other African immigrants have died in two other shipwrecks off Italy this past week, prompting shrill calls for granting safe passage to immigrants.

Italy's government has enacted tough legislations to discourage immigrants from sneaking in.

But unmindful of the lurking dangers, rickety old boats are still leaving Tunisia and Libya on a regular basis, packed with immigrants and heading straight for Italy's shores.

Many of those on board, like the 13 Somalis, never make it

Ilaahee hau naxariisto...this is truely sad. I just feel bad that they were leaving for a better life and they didn't even make. I pray that they others in serious conditions are doing better. :(

LuCkY   

SaLaaMz,

May ALLah BLess their souLs-Rest in peace.Samir iyo Iimaan to their famiLies and friends.

RaMadan KarIIm yaLL.

This is another reminder (if we needed any more) of the Situation that our people back home are suffering from, so much so that they risk the lives in such away.

May good bless their souls and Forgive the sins.

p.s i must say am impressed by the Humanity displayed by the Italians, i cant think for a moment the british would have done the same

king_450   

How life is fragile, may allah pure their soul and help the families they left behind. I thought for a moment it could have been me instead of them.But wasn't God help every immigrant across this universe.

May bod bless them.

This is the first time I hear something even close to this. It really makes you think. I mean here we are (some of us) with all these great opportunities but yet we rather not take full advantage of it. While some of our brothers and sisters are dying to just have a taste of this plate that got us "full"

WE should really be grateful for what we have and neva forget that the struggle still lives on in our land.

god bless to you all........take few seconds and thank ALLAH for giving you what you have.

~AFRICA MOTHER OF ALL~