Hadal

Are we Allah's slaves or children?

Hadal   

Had a disagreement with a friend about the name Abdi. Explained it meant slave. He said name fits because we're god's slaves. Told him we were gods children not slaves. What's your opinion on this, are we Allah's children, as his creation, or are we merely slaves to him? What is your opinion on the name Abdi considering the meaning, should  we change it or keep it? And finally, am i speaking dambi right now for posing this discussion?

You know this is a Muslim site, no?

And as Muslims, from day one we know we are slaves and worshippers of Eebbe. Saqiir iyo kabiir Muslim ayaa og ee inaa iska yeeleysid iyo waxaa la damacsantahay ma'ogi.

ikhlas.jpg

Qul huwalaahu axad

Allaahu samad

Lam yalid walam yuulad

Walam yakum lahuu kufawan axad

Say: He is Allah the One, Allah the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He begets not, nor was He begotten, And There is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.

No Soomaali parent names their sons Cabdi. It is not a standalone name. Cabdi is followed by 99 words of Eebbe. Mine is one of them as well. Cabdi is just shortened version of these and has no other ulterior meaning.

• Thanks 1

Tallaabo   

MMA gave a sufficient answer but I feel it is important to mention the following ayah too:

Surah Al-Maeda, Ayah 18:
وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ وَالنَّصَارَىٰ نَحْنُ أَبْنَاءُ اللَّهِ وَأَحِبَّاؤُهُ قُلْ فَلِمَ يُعَذِّبُكُم بِذُنُوبِكُم بَلْ أَنتُم بَشَرٌ مِّمَّنْ خَلَقَ يَغْفِرُ لِمَن يَشَاءُ وَيُعَذِّبُ مَن يَشَاءُ وَلِلَّهِ مُلْكُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا وَإِلَيْهِ الْمَصِيرُ

And [both] the Jews and the Christians say, "We are God's children, and His beloved ones." Say: "Why, then, does He cause you to suffer for your sins? Nay, you are but human beings of His creating. He forgives whom He wills, and He causes to suffer whom He wills: for God's is the dominion over the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, and with Him is all journeys' end."

• Thanks 2

Hadal   
On 12/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

You know this is a Muslim site, no?

And as Muslims, from day one we know we are slaves and worshippers of Eebbe. Saqiir iyo kabiir Muslim ayaa og ee inaa iska yeeleysid iyo waxaa la damacsantahay ma'ogi.

ikhlas.jpg

Qul huwalaahu axad

Allaahu samad

Lam yalid walam yuulad

Walam yakum lahuu kufawan axad

Say: He is Allah the One, Allah the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He begets not, nor was He begotten, And There is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.

No Soomaali parent names their sons Cabdi. It is not a standalone name. Cabdi is followed by 99 words of Eebbe. Mine is one of them as well. Cabdi is just shortened version of these and has no other ulterior meaning.

No need to be defensive walal. I am Muslim and Somali so i thought i could ask my people about something i wasn't sure about. Tallaabo, ilahay khayr haka siiye, gave me the jaahilbixis i was looking for. And as for the name Cabdi, sxb it just means servant/slave and nothing more. Even cabdirahman, for example, is no different, translating simple into - gracious servant-. However, the Arabic version has Allah in it, which justifies the name. My issue is not with Islam but with the implications of this name. It doesn't look good on us if we walk around with degrading names we don't even understand. But if I am wrong about this, feel free to correct me walal. No need for any animosity.

gooni   

We ere not children's god,  we are slaves to allah, that is why we put our face on the floor five times a day.

if we are childrens we would not have any accountability or responsibility we shall play in the gardens.

Abdi ama (cabdi) kaligiis carabtu way ka xishootaa inay kuugu yeeraan hadii magac alle kuula socdo waa wanaagsan.

Markay doonayaan inay kula macaamilaan, magacaaguna cabdi kaliya yahay waxay u badelaan (cabdo)

"cabdi" ku dhawaaqistiisu waxay u dhigantaa adoon uu asagu leeyahay luuqad ahaan.

adoonkaygiiyow oo kale, "ii"da ugu dambaysa waxay muujinaysaa lahaanshihiisa.

"cabdo" way asturantay luuqad ahaan wayna la baxaan magacaas.

Hadal   
On 1/6/2021 at 12:01 PM, gooni said:

We ere not children's god,  we are slaves to allah, that is why we put our face on the floor five times a day.

if we are childrens we would not have any accountability or responsibility we shall play in the gardens.

Abdi ama (cabdi) kaligiis carabtu way ka xishootaa inay kuugu yeeraan hadii magac alle kuula socdo waa wanaagsan.

Markay doonayaan inay kula macaamilaan, magacaaguna cabdi kaliya yahay waxay u badelaan (cabdo)

"cabdi" ku dhawaaqistiisu waxay u dhigantaa adoon uu asagu leeyahay luuqad ahaan.

adoonkaygiiyow oo kale, "ii"da ugu dambaysa waxay muujinaysaa lahaanshihiisa.

"cabdo" way asturantay luuqad ahaan wayna la baxaan magacaas.

Mahadsanid sxb sida fiican aad ii xog siisay. Mid kale, ka soo qaad qof la yidhaah cabdi malik, kolay adaa iga aqiin afka carabiga balse sida google sheegi malik wuxuu u dhigma 'owner' ama lahansho. Marka, ma qaldan tahay inii qof loo bixiyo magac fasirkiisu noqday servent owner. Ileen meesha hadayba ku jirin magaca alle, qof bahdilan oo adon kaliya iska ah sooma tihid ? Waxaa ila quman dadka in la jaahil bixiyo oo la soo celiyo magacyadeeni asal. Inshalah mardow ha dhacdo

Maalik wuxuu ka soo jeedaa Maalik al Mulk (the owner of all sovereignty). So Cabdimaalik means servant of the owner of all sovereignty. In the other words, servant of the everlasting King.

Mulki is also magac gabdhaha Soomaaliyeed loo bixiyo as well.

Hadal   
2 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Maalik wuxuu ka soo jeedaa Maalik al Mulk (the owner of all sovereignty). So Cabdimaalik means servant of the owner of all sovereignty. In the other words, servant of the everlasting King.

Mulki is also magac gabdhaha Soomaaliyeed loo bixiyo as well.

Maalik is a word my friend. Maalik al mulk is a phrase, and i'm only talking about the word maalik. As a word, maalik stands on its own  and is not dependent on any other word to make sense. Therefore we can take its direct meaning in relation with other words to understand what is being conveyed . In the context of cabdimalik, it can be understood as a phrase once you translate them both. The problem with names like this is not their connection with Islam, but rather it is the believe that a name is good or proper just because it is Arabic. A lot of people defend these kind of names just because they are related to arabic as if Arabic is somehow this divine language that came directly from Allah, which leads to akward names like cabdi. In my opinion, names like this are not good and I think our people are gonna have this discussion in the future. Hopefully in the future when we borrow names from arabic, there is a limitation on what names we take, limited only to the names of prophets for example.  Most of everything else can be directly translated without any meaning lost. For example, shukri is a common arabic/somali name which means thanks in arabic but its somali equivalant name is mahad which means the same thing. However, I find that shukri is more common than mahad, why? It is ignorance and we need to educate. Haybad waxaa lagu leeyahay afkaaga, daqankaaga iyo dhalkaaga sxb. Marka waa inaan ilaalino kudhi soo ma?

EDIT: Cabdimalik means what each individual word in that phrase means sxb.

gooni   

faataxada markaad akhrinayso ma waxaad isticmaashaa (maaliki yowmu diin) mise waxaad isticnaashaa (maliku yowmu diin)?

labaduba waa sax sida tafsiirku quraanka kariimka ah uu qabo.

cabdi'malik
cabdi'maalik  waa sidoo kale

maalik waa lahaansho gaar ah luuqada carabiga waxaa loo isticmaalaa ku hadalka caadi ahaan maalin walba la isticmaalo

tusaale
who is the owner of this car?
minu maalik haadihi siyaara?

mulku waa akiidinta lahaanshaha

Carabta marka aad waydiiso gurigaan ma adigaa iska leh? horay kama dhahaan sida soomaalida "HAA"

Waxay dhahaan al-mulku lilaah
ayagoo ka baqaya inay lahaansho ku sheegtaan aduunkaan laga tagayo.

tusaale (mulkiga)
Are you sure this is your car?
akiid haadaa siyaara mulkak?
Ma hubtaa inaad gaariga adigu leedahay?

warka wuxuu kusoo ururayaa maalik, wal mulku huwa allaah.

Waxa koonka saaran, alle yaa iska leh, waxa noo muuqda iyo waxaan noo muuqan intaba, rabu samaawaatu wal ardu.

Allahu aclam intaasu waa fahamkayga.