Sign in to follow this  
Hayat

our ever-tiring battle with education

Khayr   

Originally posted by Amelia:

quote:

Originally posted by underdog:

If the yearly cost of education is 14730 (pounds per year)

These figures are for international students. It 1/14th that amount if you live here.

That pretty much blows ur caveman calculations outta window. >>>>> shooo!
;)

Institutionalized Education is good and it will most likely get you somewhere in life. However, its not the only route. Infact, most rich people havent bothered learning skills to work for people, they learned how money works and how to manage people.

p.s.good
Xiin
, you've to stop encouraging girls to aspire to be housewives (because you like the idea
:D
). Most guys either dont like it or cant shoulder the responsibility.
Amelia/Athena,

Reality is a b####, ain't it!

New graduate, stuck with a debt and being sheld crumbs at work for wages, in hopes of a raise one day.

The 'HIGHER EDUCATION SCHEME' is the one of the biggest money makers, next to the insurance industry.

What people need is family, relatives, community - which forms your bases for a reliable network.

You can't survive alone and certainly not with a load of debt to carry in your early 20's.

Funny thing is that we don't realize this until we have made the errors, which haunt us for many years.

Capitalist society is definitely anti-traditional family unit and thrives on debt and the world of 'financing' i.e. you can borrow your way to anything you like (cars, homes, education, family etc). Only problem is you become a slave to this and repeat these cycles over and over again. Its worse then any addiction.

Reality is a b####, ain't it!

New graduate, stuck with a debt and being sheld crumbs at work for wages, in hopes of a raise one day.

LoL… assuming is a poor habit Khayr. Grow out of it.

In anycase, what you see as bad, I always see as good.

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:Originally posted by Amelia:

SB and Besbaaso, ma idinkaan idinla hadley? Maya! :mad:

Who cares who you were talking to? I can damn well talk to you anytime I please. Don't need your permission. Copy that, Sister Chameleon?
Get a grip with the histrionics old man. We’ve reached tedium.

Originally posted by Amelia:

SB and Besbaaso, ma idinkaan idinla hadley? Maya!

lol...is that a wordier version of talk to the hand ...ever heard of if u can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen... ...next time maybe ...don't post in a public forum!

The only problem is sister, there is no heat. Just a wishy-washy snippy comment. If you read my one line remark, and I quote ‘There arent that many deserving or qualified Somali men out there’. The implication here is that there are some. And here is you repeating it‘there r definitly some good somali men out there’. Do you see why there is no need for you sneering 'dont despair' :D reply?

Hayat   

this is what i mean-after posting this topic i went to give in overdue assignments and look at how many replies i have waiting for me. studying surely absorbs you wholly. :mad:

where to start. i have been seing alot of advices, the good the bad and the not-so-place-able. Whilst i admit i am arguing for the sake of arguing and nevertheless that alarm clock will constantly be replaced,you can never excuse the fact that education is a never ending story and there has to come to a point that you start to consider other routes.

Heck with the world and its laborious challenges eh? Just be a queen and learn how to manage own royal court! Balaayaba buulkaaga laga galaa! Let your stud wrestle with the world...!

how very tempting xin. igaa-daa noooh. ;) i am being taken away. but i have to admit your other quote was of a serious note:

point out that education though admirable a thing is not the only route to success.

exactly.

what is defined as success?, can it be measured in terms of wordly view or is it what you merely accomplish?. See this higher education stream seems to profit from our "obssession", as we can not deny the fact that the only form of knowledge which is invaluable is really our "knowledge of the deen". yet why must we succumb to this capalist society, who in kharys words "thrives from our debits". when is enough education? we complete our degrees only to find that the position we are seeking needs us to have our masters or ph.D.s or preharps even worse does not guarrantee us a job. are we meant to suddenly look around and slap ourselves in the cheek.

we can not lie to ourselves- we must at all costs consider what situation we are in and what exactly we are getting ourselves in, whislt i completely agree with being educated- i fall short of grasping when it will come to an end.

Hayat   

quote; sharmakee:

Vibe,

Any loaded faraax in your neighbourhood?

If yes: well then hook-up with him, and if he's Mum tries to intervene punch her at the face.

hilarious!!

NGONGE   

Drop out of education to become a housewife? Once upon a time this place used to be heaving with feminists. Wonder what happened to them all!

You started something; you may as well finish it (unless life and circumstances prevent you from doing so).

As for being a housewife that gave up on education and bagging yourself a ‘rich’ man, one would assume that you’d need to be drop-dead-gorgeous in order to ensnare such a man. I’d also hazard a guess that such women need to have sharp manipulative talents and super charged seduction skills (Gold-digging is an art form see).

The vast majority of Somali women (in the West and home) are illiterate, ignorant and poorly educated. There are countless women who, having lived in the West for the best part of twenty years, still can’t adequately fill a form or carry a conversation in any language other than Somali (these are our sisters, relatives, acquaintances and friends). Nobody seems to be bothered with these shortcomings and many try to justify them with the usual excuses (she’s had a hard life, she’s here temporarily, she does not like it, she’s got her husband to translate/interpret for her, etc).

Society, whether you like it or not, operates on different levels. I shan’t go deeply into class systems and the like, but I’d still say that YOU can determine what level in society you want to move in. If your only ambition in life is to be a housewife and bring up kids then you’ll, almost invariably, be mixing with those moving in the lower echelons of society. Yes, there are many educated housewives but there are many more that are NOT. In our society at least, one has to make a mark and distance oneself from such circles. I don’t suggest this for the superficial reasons of pride, arrogance or aloofness. I advise it because it’s the only way that will lift our housewives from the gutter.

On the issue of organised education and how some belittle it, I fail to see what alternatives they could suggest. People have to have a basic level of knowledge (and no I’m not talking about the sun coming out in the morning, the moon at night and when you’re bursting for the loo it’s best that you don’t hold it in and risk wetting yourself). I’m talking about basic, conventional knowledge that will hold you in good stead in everyday life. Knowledge that, if nothing else, will help disguise our collective ignorance as humans! Being a graduate is only the start, what happens next depends on your personality, intelligence and drive. Of course there are anomalies and exceptions to this rule but unless one has already achieved ‘success’ one can’t just sit and hope.

Still, you can have all the education in the world and still lack wisdom and common sense. However, having the knowledge will at least raise you above those that have neither knowledge nor wisdom. And, if the saying that wisdom comes with experience is true, why limit your experiences or force yourself to reinvent the wheel? Why not benefit from and build on the experiences of millions of others before you?

We come from a poor, backwards and ignorant society. It’s dangerous and quite damaging to discourage education. The general cry, to my mind at least, should be that education comes before everything else. Organised, formal and conventional education at that and not the hippy and luxurious self-teaching type!

Zafir   

^^Reflective and thoughtful advice, heed, what my brother from another mother wrote, he not only addressed our sister Vibe but everyone who has posted a reply on this topic. Thanks bloke.

If your only ambition in life is to be a housewife and bring up kids then you’ll, almost invariably, be mixing with those moving in the lower echelons of society. Yes, there are many educated housewives but there are many more that are NOT.
In our society at least, one has to make a mark and distance oneself from such circles

Zafir and Abaadir, if this is a good piece of advice, in the word of the man himself, you must lack comprehension skills icon_razz.gif But honestly, look at the bold sentence

Bess.   

Wishy washy indeed...lol...spare me ur lectures...Men suck…boo hoo... spinster lament....anyone? :rolleyes:

Hayat   

ngnoge, do i not have the capacity to write a eloquent piece of article?. is my english not enough to enable me to get through the necessities in life?. what is this about having my husband to translate for me.

i will repeat:

whislt i completely agree with being educated- i fall short of grasping when it will come to an end.

as you can see your advice is irrelevent considering the stance that i am arguing on.( however reflective) you are talking about necessiites, what i am talking about is when education will come to an end. so in a sense whilst being a feminist and optimistic is rather cute-reality has a painful way of alerting you on what is really out there.

i think after bloody 13 years of education i am equipped with the conventional knowledge which will enable me to hold a steady life, why further headaches.

We come from a poor, backwards and ignorant society. It’s dangerous and quite damaging to discourage education

quite true, but on the contrary, we live in a society which is hanging on the edge, we are living to basically survive. we are still the first generation of somalis who are paving the way for our children to not live the lives that we lived- this is not our homeland where everything is being provided for us-we can not study in comfort, so why not just fulfill the necessary obligations which is needed from us in terms of knowledge and let the rest take its course.

Saalixa   

Vibe

it really depends on what you are studying and what you want as a career. Theres those types of careers that really you cannot get a decent job or worth while salary with and i know sisters here in AUSTRALIA (i dont know about other places) that have finished post grad and still struggle to get a job after 3 4 years so they are regarding the UAE ( as usual they all think there is better opputunities there and maybe there is who knows?) And somali brothers that turn into taxi drivers because they can make double the amount than that they earn in their career job.

So if your carrer is in high demand by the time you graduate you will live of the fatta da land (like the mining engineers theres a big boom in the minig sector for a while and lots of somali boys i know are getting jobs three months after graduation) but if not you are in same despair as you were when you started at year 1! Its really like playing cards

So good luck smile.gif

Zafir   

Originally posted by M.M.:

quote: If your only ambition in life is to be a housewife and bring up kids then you’ll, almost invariably, be mixing with those moving in the lower echelons of society. Yes, there are many educated housewives but there are many more that are NOT.
In our society at least, one has to make a mark and distance oneself from such circles

Zafir and Abaadir, if this is a good piece of advice, in the word of the man himself, you must lack comprehension skills
icon_razz.gif
But honestly, look at the bold sentence
No word of a lie there MM. I have recently discovered the words Jungle and Forrest mean different things and sadly, also the words extremely dangerous and dangerous mean the same exact thing. You see, I think of my self as a student of the English language. Hence, my comprehension skills coincide with what little I know.

When given a chance, if you could please take the time and enlighten me on what you have gathered from the bold statement you have brought fourth, kindly.

Modesty   

My advice is, if your hormones are raging out of control, get married, he doesn't have to be rich,and who says you can't still be in school. Hence, you can have your cake and eat it too.I feel that in today's society, we are taught to find the "perfect" person, to be "perfect", newsflash! there is no perfection, this is dunya, get real.

Modesty   

Ngonge, for the first time I agree with what you said. Somali women are taught that they have to be behind the "man", that the man should be the brain, and she should do the cooking, no siree bob! From a young age, our parents drill as on basically making the "man" happy, what about our happiness? Shouldn't we have a brain that works once in awhile? We most certainly do! There are no rich "faraxs", get over it, it's a myth. And if he is rich he is probably 40 and owns his own business or something (too old).My solution is as a woman you shouldn't be fiercely independent, but while working with your man, have your independence, don't lose who you are!