Sign in to follow this  
Hayat

our ever-tiring battle with education

^^How about marrying a deserving and qualified man and being a housewife--- multiplying and productive one at that :D ? Heck with the world and its laborious challenges eh? Just be a queen and learn how to manage own royal court! Balaayaba buulkaaga laga galaa! Let your stud wrestle with the world...!

But on a more serious note, I think some folks are missing the point here as I see no one has thus far rejected education or scoffed at its value! All we did was inject a dose of reality and point out that education though admirable a thing is not the only route to success. Understanding that point early on in the process may help ease the pain of any disappointment after graduation lest one’s hopes as to what he/she can gain from education are dashed!

P.S; Amelia, how about encouraging girls to educate themselves first and then become housewifes--- I think modern world demands that :D .

Originally posted by Amelia:

^ Tell them
Didi
. These guys are telling the girl to join the millions of drones who catch 2 buses and the tube to be at their cubicle by 9am to help a rich man get richer.
icon_razz.gif

You are right Amelia keep on dropping the wisdom on the girl. 20-25 years of schooling and then 30 plus years of hectic work hours. Billa caleyk! don't waste your life Vibe. Things that shouldn't have a huge priority take up so much importance. Industrial revolution be damned.

It is no wonder that we have a damaged, limping community when the women who give up give up to breed and bring up gived-up on children. It's the attitude you do what you do with not what you do that counts. In marriage and child-rearing there is a challenge for those that want to succeed and for those that gave up to hide and play safe there is the creation of a home where the mother gave up on herself. A doomed family, I say.

Stop making excuses, who told u any of it was meant to be easy? Give yourself until the end of the year to succeed academically. And if that doesn't work, rethink. With your attitude u've already set yourself up for failure and no doubt in a year u will relish the knowledge u were right all along in maintaining u'd fail. It's perverse, get over it. I hated my degree but hated losing more. U are not alone and yr conclusion that women were not made for education is a way of finding comfort in numbers that u have created. We're not buying it. Don't give up on yourself.

Originally posted by
xiinfaniin
:

^^How about marrying a deserving and qualified man and being a housewife

There arent that many deserving or qualified Somali men out there, so stop deluding the girls, will ya? :D

Bess.   

Why does it have to be one way or the other. why can't we be educated and also become housewives if we so choose to. How come no body mentioned that education gives women choices, it gives them the choices to have the kind of lives they want with out having to depend on others. it not only 4 women, we all need to get as much education as possible to give ourselves and our children the best possible lives that we can. 4 women, God forbid, that something happened to ur husband (the person u r going to have to depend on to take care of u...if u r not educated), who are u going to depend on ur relatives or possibly get a minimum wage job....all the work and none of the benefits...I don't thing so...I personally think that education or knowledge is a weapon against poverty and ignorance...and believe me, i am going to arm myself. in this world we need all the ammunition that we need...so women...don't become defenseless...get educated... ;)

Ps...Its true that education isn't sometimes all that its cracked up to be....but nothing worth while is ever that easy. And true...some people might not view a college education that necessary to have a great life but it makes life generally much easier...

There aren't that many deserving or qualified Somali men out there,

That cuts both ways!

By the way, stop misleading the impressionable!

All you kids out there, take it from this doddering oldster, school is indispensable part of life.

No school, no tripe for your cats.

Bess.   

quote:Originally posted by
xiinfaniin
:

^^How about marrying a deserving and qualified man and being a housewife

There arent that many deserving or qualified Somali men out there, so stop deluding the girls, will ya?
:D
why hate on somali men so?...there r definitly some good somali men out there....they r just a bit shy.

don't despair...there is one out there 4 u...lol....maybe ;)

Jamilah   

Originally posted by besbaaso:

Why does it have to be one way or the other. why can't we be educated and also become housewives if we so
choose
to. How come no body mentioned that education gives women
choices
, it gives them the choices to have the kind of lives they want with out having to depend on others. it not only 4 women, we all need to get as much education as possible to give ourselves and our children the best possible lives that we can. 4 women, God forbid, that something happened to ur husband

(the person u r going to have to depend on to take care of u...if u r not educated), who are u going to depend on
ur relatives or possibly get a minimum wage job....all the work and none of the benefits
...I don't thing so...I personally think that education or knowledge is a weapon against poverty and ignorance...and believe me, i am going to arm myself. in this world we need all the ammunition that we need...so women...don't become defenseless...get educated...
;)

Ps...Its true that education isn't sometimes all that its cracked up to be....but nothing worth while is ever that easy. And true...some people might not view a college education that necessary to have a great life but it makes life generally much easier...

Thank you!!! Someone I can whole-heartedly agree with. Its so fusturating when people think that you either have to be a career orientated woman or a housewife as if the two are mutually exclusive. Whatever happend to "with dertermination and passion anything is possible". But aside from the practical advantages of having a tertiary qualification such as $$ and self-empowerment think of the immeassurable value of knowledge. Does that not mean anything?

So sister Vibe I strongly recommend you persist in your studies and inshallah be patient for with hardship comes ease.

And now I am going to resort to threats because If you do not take my advice I am going to e-mail this topic to your brothers!!

STOIC   

There was a Harvard professor who once said, I can't trace his name for now, "If you think education is expensive try ignoranceâ€. Sixteen years of schooling convinces me that there is no a world of sharing and hospitality out there. Neither is there a promising job of a lifetime out there. But I will tell you this; the value of your education will always guide you against ignorance. Few of us realize how education is a leveler of the cruel world we live in. Before you think of becoming the dominant female that apportions vegetables to her family, I will advice you, like the rest did before me, to give yourself some time to think over your thoughts. No one is continually aware of his thoughts until he reflects back on them quite some time.Aqoon Laan Wa Iftiin Laan.

Originally posted by Jamilah:

Whatever happend to "with dertermination and passion anything is possible"

It's not true. All the determination and passion in the world won't help you swallow the moon.

SB and Besbaaso
, ma idinkaan idinla hadley? Maya! :mad:

Who cares who you were talking to? I can damn well talk to you anytime I please. Don't need your permission. Copy that, Sister Chameleon?

Bess.   

SB and Besbaaso
, ma idinkaan idinla hadley? Maya! :mad:

lol...is that a wordier version of talk to the hand ...ever heard of if u can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen... :rolleyes: ...next time maybe ...don't post in a public forum!

Jamilah   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:Originally posted by Jamilah:

Whatever happend to "with dertermination and passion anything is possible".

It's not true. All the determination and passion in the world won't help you swallow the moon.
What can I say SB your location "Island of insanity" is most suitable for you, I strongly recommend you dwell their permanently!

Khayr   

quote:Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:

Whatever happend to "with dertermination and passion anything is possible".

What can I say SB your location "Island of insanity" is most suitable for you, I strongly recommend you dwell their permanently!
:D:D:D