Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

The Discrimination of Minorities in Somali Peninsula

I have in recent years grappled with the notion of tribalism, its a disgusting divisive disease with no rational explanation. To my surprise, I was ravaging through some achieves at Home and found an article about the discrimination faced by what has been termed ''those from non-noble backgrounds'' to my shock and dismay. I read the article with absolute shock and I am really ashamed by the treatment of these Somali people by their fellow Somalis.

Does anyone know where this derogatory term came from? And how do those who stigmatise and discriminate against these people justify their behaviour?

Emperor   

Lol, Marxo the infamous Eurotrash conner, talking about Somalis looking down at other Somalis...

Marx, what clan are you from, in other words what is your qabiil? :D

Just courious, you see its a traditional Somali way to know each other's clan, and in here most of us actually know what clan is everyone else, its you thats unknown, so bal tell us, Lool....

Marginalized By Ideological Believes And Diffused By The Society

Quite surprisingly that day as usual I was going to cut my hair at a nearby barbershop that is close to my house.

As soon I arrived there was a too much noise, I sat down and began to listen while steering at everyone and wondering what went wrong as the quarrel kept taking place between the barbershop owner and his coworkers.

Suddenly one of them said emotionally “We are let down by the people of this nation, he added quote (I Mean Our Follow Somaliland Brothers). We are discriminated against everything including participation of social, intermarriage, cultural and political endeavors.

We are not a commodity or slave to the people of this country said the man but an equal man at all spheres of life, we are compelled to subjugate our will and are not allowed to express our rights in stance and on daily bases we are suppressed.”

I could feel how deep the agony was and the injustice these minority groups were suffering, it’s true that they are discriminated on the bases of traditional culture ideologies, power and above all disrespect to their race and ethnic background.

In Somaliland there are minority groups that are considered as inferior and are treated as a second citizen called MADHIBAAN, MIDGAAN and YIBIR, they are believed to be the decedents of Israel and are always devalued because of their ethnicity.

Yet more importantly, Somaliland politicians haven’t yet mustered how to remedy the deep-seated ideological, political pathologies that have poisoned the society. The sad truth is that the political industry is lucrative of tribal differences in Somaliland. For many, the struggle to occupy political positions is not motivated by a commitment to public service or to resoling of social injustice. It is instead a route to personal enhancement, and hence beyond the pale of ethics.

This tragic incident gives cause to rethink the way that the citizenship is conceived and practiced in Somaliland. The social reconciliation must be accompanied by deep political reforms that give recognition to all groups - regardless of their religion or ethnicity - as equal citizens.

Written by Abdullah Ahmed

Hargeisa, Somaliland

Nephissa   

Marcus, I remember reading a remark you made on another thread where you said something about certain Somali group in Hargeysa being referred to as Monkeys. What gives?

Kool_Kat   

In Somaliland there are minority groups that are considered as inferior and are treated as a second citizen called MADHIBAAN, MIDGAAN and YIBIR, they are believed to be the decedents of Israel and are always devalued because of their ethnicity.[/QB]

What I really would like to know is why aren't some qabiil names censored on SOL? My qabiil is censored when typed, yet other qabiils such as the ones mentioned above (although Midgaan isn't a qabiil name) are not, why? I think that's discrimination as well, no! Isn't my qabiil or other qabiils good enough to be shown? :confused:

Somalis discriminate against each other, it is the level of discrimination that makes it seem a bit harsher on certain qabiils...Waa cudur nagu jiro, ilaahayna hanaga daaweeyo... redface.gif

BOB   

As far as I've seen gabdhahooda wey ka qurux badanyihiin kuwa nasabka lagu sheego marka hadaad taqaanaan gabadh Muslimad fiican ah ilmo adeerayaaloow aniga isoo aadiya anigaa guursanayee...kaftan ma aha I'm Serious.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Buuxo   

LOL@KK :D:D .Waa su'aal da'weyn.What is wrong with our qabiil for it to be censored along with stu.pidh and i.doit. And not MIDGAAN ,Isn't it clear that the latter is derogatory term.

As for the topic,im sure it has been discussed numerous times up in here.Just search the archives.

nuune   

Originally posted by roobleh:

It is really a shame. People won't change, but authorities should enforce their anti-discriminatory laws in their books.

Siyaad Barre(AUN) did that, and failed, no authority can do anything, it is the people who make the change.

(although Midgaan isn't a qabiil name)

Koolo, I will prove to you that it is not a qabiil name at all, in logical format, that word you mentioned have plural ama jamac ayey noqotaa ama wadar, and singular or waaxid as you have it there, take for example the major Somali Clans, whether they are 5 or 4 big clan groups, none of them make or have the plural format as of that one, their singular & plural are of the same, you do the grammer, same goes for Yibir which is singlular, and has plural format as Yibro like Midgo as in Midgaan.

Tusaalahaas fudud ayaa kuugu cad in uu yahay waxan wax la soo dhoodhoobey ama loogu dan lahaa dad Islaameed oo la heyb sooco

Whoever deviced those terms wasn't clever to find out the reality or naxwaha of the words they invented to abuse particular group of people.

Kool_Kat   

Nuune, singular iyo plural maa ii keentay saa usocotay? Midgaan or Midgo isn't a qabiil's name, it is a derogatory term...It is used to belittle others, while Yibir is an actual qabiil name descendent from Hebrew (I believe)...Marka Midgaan iyo Yibir isku mid ma'aha...Midna waa caay iyo aflagaado iyo xumaato, midna waa qabiil magaciisa...

Since you're a MOD, care to explain why my qabiil is censored on SOL, ain't it good enough for all y'all to see? :rolleyes:

Kool_Kat   

Aniga qoladeyda hakad kumajiro bisinkee, xaa hakadka keenay? :mad: :D Uma qalmaan inaa magaca uga dheelo like that... icon_razz.gif Kaama dheeri laakiin, walaashuun baan ahay...

nuune   

Koolo, :D:D , you really didn't understand my post, we agreed it is a derogatory term, I fully agree with that and hate anyone who uses it, but I was more into the actual words and their explanations or how they got formed or into being, I wasn't saying the two words are the same, just was concerned their grammatical or phonetical designs.

Why your qabiil name is censored, I dono :D