Sign in to follow this  
Legend of Zu

The Thing about New Year Resolutions

For obvious reasons, this is the time when all resolution related topics pop up from left and centre. I don't blame you, if you came in to this topic thinking "ooh I am going to say ...I don't have a New Year's resolution because it is all bull " but the topic is not about that! :D

I was asking myself " how come NY resolutions don't work?" because when you think about it they are always about something that is good for you or improvement to your self or they are about you prioritising some issues that you think you should from now on. So I was wondering how come they don’t work and I think in my own way, I came to this….

Well, when you are making a New Year's resolution, you are making a commitment to your self that you will do a specific task or achieve a particular goal. So what you are actually doing is you are asking from your-future-self to commit to do something and here is the catch (perhaps why most of the resolutions fail) Why would your-future-self fulfil a commitment made by your-past-self (who is the your-now-self) perhaps, your future self will have different issues to address, other priorities or opportunities to take and potentially your future self may think your past self (basically You) is one big loser! So may be that is why? So do you think your future self will agree with you?

Makes you wonder, isn’t it? So you have to make sure whatever resolution you are making now is something that your future self will agree, don’t you agree?

Then again why bother? You don't have to wait for a new year to make a resolution [something that is beneficial to you] then should it be that you have to make a resolution in every minute!

By now I know some of you are asking themselves “what is the purpose of this topic?” well that is not the question you should ask your self, what you should be asking is, Why can I not fulfil or commit to my decisions whether they are resolutions or not!

Go ahead tell us?

Cheers

Pujah   

New year's resolution is all about fantasizing living 'your' optimal life and in that dream stage most make outrageous goals requiring major life style changes they are neither ready nor willing to make. Thus the reason all unrealistic resolutions lose their momentum few weeks into the new years.

Skipper   

Execellent quesion legend. In my most humble opinion i think its difficult to commit to yourself a decesion that streches to one whole year like the "new year resolution". However if the things that needs to be done are a short term ones then i mostly do them. On a scale from 1-10 of how i am happy about the way i execute the decesions i take then it would have to be 3/10.

Blessed   

I've been reading about people who have already given up on their NY resolution and I'm left wondering if they even thought about how they would go about achieving it. It's only the 2nd.

The main reason why NY resolutions fail is because for most, it doesn't come from within. It's merely an expected tradition to make new years resolutions.. so people make lists of things that they think they aught to be doing / changing without really giving much thought to the practicality, the consequences or even the point! This was me in my younger days.

I usually set targets on my b-day, it's more personal then.

BTW..are you on 43things.com, LOZ? You can set it up so that your past self, sends emails to your future self to ask how things are getting on. LOL. It's cute.

-Lily-   

Firstly, this is too much thinking.

Secondly, I cheated and started in November, so I have now managed to do 2 out of the 5 things I planned to do, planned heavily for the third, the fourth is within reach, which gives me all year to achieve the elusive 5th task.

I don’t really believe in waiting until New Years to plan for the future, short term goals would be more achievable if you made the effort every few months. Besides, you never know when motivation will hit you.

^^^ 43things.com? no am not on it but seems something that will amuse me by the sounds of it. I'll check it asap Insha Allah! :D

Yes, B'days is another focal point when it comes to setting personal targets which as you said makes it more personal.

For me I have couple of focal points one is when i visit the graves, I get all worked up and go thru that self correction path as i call it.

Second point is every five years when I get that smirk on my face that sense of achievement of the five year plan.

Cheers

Faheema.   

Well isn’t this all a bit chaotic?, your Past-Self, Now-Self and Future-Self all at each other’s throat :D How would one ever manage to fulfil anything if you are constantly as war with yourself? What needs to happen first is to get your Past-self, Now-Self and Future-Self all in synch. In order to achieve this, Your Now-Self should play the role of a mediator and help smooth the transition between your Future-Self and Past-Self. It needs to let your Future-Self know not to pressure your Past-Self, be more understanding (NO name calling)and not to set unrealistic goals as it cannot change overnight. ;) Your Past-Self will do its part to try harder to achieve these goals and understand that your Future-Self’s aim is to improve and better your Now-Self.

How does that sound smile.gif

^^^ Seems all my selves are in agreement to that! However, Future self likes to appear once the Past self is gone, and the now self seems to be quite pissed off with the whole saga (it claims it is not IT that has set the plan and it is not IT that benefits of the plan whilst everyone expects IT to carry out the plan!) :D

Cheers

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

Second point is every five years when I get that smirk on my face that sense of achievement of the five year plan.

Chinese man, I can actually picture that. :D

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

^^^ Seems all my selves are in agreement to that! However, Future self likes to appear once the Past self is gone, and the now self seems to be quite pissed off with the whole saga (it claims it is not IT that has set the plan and it is not IT that benefits of the plan whilst everyone expects IT to carry out the plan!)
:D

Cheers

^ LoL, No time for self pity, your Now-Self needs to get a grip and stand firm :D

Faheema.   

^ Well my Now-Self believes in setting goals as and when the need arises. IT does not believe in New Year’s resolutions, so the there is no conflict with one-self. When the 1st of Jan arrives they all in perfect harmony ;)