Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

blood

Fyr   
Dear nomads, I’ve an urgent request for those whom reside in Europe and North America. It has come to my attention that many Somalis living in those areas mentioned above aren’t blood donors in theirs respectively countries. As consequence Somalis who needs a blood transfusion in some cases need blood from specific donors whom match their antigen are left with noting when they need it. As this was the case were I work i.e. “blood bank” there was a pregnant Somali women who was about to give birth and needed blood. It showed that she hade a rare blood type, which is common in Horn of Africa. To make long story short, they found a Somali guy who worked at the same hospital that matched her blood type. Both of them were missing the big S- and the little s- antigen so they were perfect match. It seem that a lot of Somalis are missing these antigen. So to those whom aren’t a blood donor go to your blood bank and donate. Who knows when you might need it, or someone close to you?

Pucca   

willingly get poked with those pointy and scary needles and my life source drained? um... i think not. Im sure i can do alot of other things to help human kind.

there's a religion out there that dont believe in sharing such 'sacred' fluids...i like that philosophy, its beautiful.

May allah be with those in need. Ameen.

roobleh   

Fyr, Thanks for ur community awareness.

As you've mentioned, The problem is that more than 90% of the humans have this antigen on their RBCs. Therefore, those of us who do not have it make anti-s antibodies in our blood, ready to destroy or hemolyze the donors blood. The other problem is that this antibody is an IgG type and can cross the placenta and thus cause hemolytic disease of the new born.

So, please visit your local blood bank and donate.

I have donated blood a few times in the last few years .. all but one in the case of pregnant sisters.

Docs say it is healthy to do it something like once a year .. it is not such a big deal you hardly feel the difference.