Sign in to follow this  
stpaulchick

Somali's/S.Landers

ADNAAN   

Originally posted by najma82:

What the heck..so brother i suggest that you wake up and realize that we are one people whether we like it or not...it is the reality so deal with it.

P.S. Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

Najma, sis u misunderstood me. I wasn’t talking about the ordinary ppl, they are the victims in all this. I was rather referring to those who caused havoc to the masaakiin bck home and still till 2day are willing to do the same all over again expecting a different outcome. As for the offence; not to worry cos none is taken and hopefully none is given too smile.gif .

Originally posted by kaleidoscopic:

^ U misunderstood him

.... but I'm not gonna explain. By all means bash him.
:D
(Calling me a troll
redface.gif
)

Kaleidoscopic (wat a long nick ), u knew exactly wat I meant but u seem to enjoy seeing me on the receiving end of the bashment, shall we say an evil mod....eh

;):D .

Kool_Kat   

Similarities:

Somalia // Somaliland

Race: Black // Black

Religion: Muslim // Muslim

Language: Somali // Somali

Differences:

??????????????????????????

What I would like to know is the difference between:

1. What does it mean to be a somalilander?

2. What does it mean to be a Somali?

Shouldn't we be all the same if we speak the same language, believe in the same religion, have the same culture, and mostly, :confused: known as SOMALIS all over the world?????

I guess it all depends on who you ask....

As for me, we are all the same... :confused:

Aux   

the ppl from the northwest that call themself somaliland have brown teeth, they chew khat like theres no tomorrow, they cant pronounce the letter "R" and they are allowed to say "nayaa" to their female counterparts without facing serious physical damage. for the rest we are the same.

You know am not much of a die-hard Somalilander but I actually call a Xamarawi dude Naya if I hear any jiljileec from him. As for the red teeth..lool Reer Burco man....get your shit straight...(sorry reer burco). :D ..and as for chewing khat. I was conceived with it dude. Old man was probably mirqaan when hoyo was deliberatly lying in bed to nod off. ;);)

P.S. ADNAAN, the Admin claims to be from Borama, what do you expect. :D Inabti bal ii sheeg how do you get to Amoud University from downtown Borame? ;)

Suldaaanka

I've seen and heard your analogy numerous times recently brother and it bothers me quite a bit.

NOw i'm not against a young lady doing her thang, infact it aught to be commended, after all equality, respect, human rights, self empowerment and blah di blah and what we should strive for.

But you gotto admit it's totally misleading and infact i think it is damaging.

First you talk of the old man (somalia) as a collective entity that bears and realises the true collective consciousness of it's citizens now as ask your self is that true?

You gotto see what i'm gettin at, and you know it aint so. BY that reasoning we should have 'Bantu land' in the south, since the somals have collectively abused as the name suggests the 'adoon'. 'Banadirland', cos their slightly lighter in colour, and were discriminated against for not having the 'true' nomad blood. 'lower Shabelle-land' 'cos their farmers who's land got ef'd by war, miss-management, draught and war. and so on. In fact if i dont like what my supposed government (regardless of its legitimacy) has done i aught take up arms and get my stick out and draw my borders as far as my arm reaches!

Next your giving legitimacy to an illegal occupation and division of somalia. Now here i will accept that there is no such thing as somalia just somali people, since we've never had any clear lines before colonisation.

Without going too much into border disputes, the up-until 1977 - 'The French Territory of the Afars and the Issas' is now a true model of a nation. SO if we're really gonna do this i would have more respect for the legislative NOT the administrative sovereignty of somali land if it were to be called 'The British Territory of the Isaaaq and Dhulbahte' - and i aint being all qabiil here (infact i know next to nothing about qabiil ) its just the people that live in the region.

NOw i'm roots kinda guy, and that sorta thing disturbs me, because it creates needless division, kids grow up thinking 'cos some ol' man' and in the context of our conversation the young women has thrown her veil of abuse and drawn a sovereign border around the edges of its seams where it lands. This is obviously the justified, right and true state of 'tings!

U see there are a huge number of compelling and valid reasons to declare sovereignty, given the state a bunch of megalomaniac cock-eye 'bstrds have got somalia into, ie. we want a peace and financial aid, till the shit gets it self together. but sovereignty 'cos the British 'effed us, the Italians 'effed you and the French are 'effing them, you gotto be kidding

you gotto question in who's interst your doing this, what you expect to come out of it and what you legitimise.

Sky   

lets just call it a day shall we. some ppl proved they have no sense of humour, some ppl compare regions with teenage lollipop girls, some dont know what the hell theyre talking about, some are so mad at me that they call me a 3-year old. i mean com'on, can a 3 year old write like i do? dont think so!

we want love. did ya hear me? love!!! smile.gif

^^^^^glade to hear you actucally believe in love;; i must say i find hard to believe in it when ppl like u are concern, but somehow i manage; maybe you should practice what you preach and learn the general meaning of love; forget that, the general meaning of having basic manners and respect; you must have missed that lesson when u were younger adeer; and i don't think it is possible to bend an old tree, so you do your thing!!

Although I don't have any sympathy for my dear Brother Sky regarding what he wrote nevertheless I think that you're somewhat harsh in your treatment against him.

Some people have got a weirdo humour and certainly I do not share this "humour" with Sky.

However coming back to what some people posted earlier I find the analysis of Suldaanka very amusing even though I don't accept his analyis.

Suldaanka said that there were no witnesses and no mehr paid the reason being because "the young lady" being in love and she refused her xaq or share and she said I want a reunion without any Shuruud yacni (Shuruud La'aan) and there were no witnesses because he should be a witness the cruel British and Italians wallahi never it was common sense for every Somali and anyone who questioned the reunion was treated like a traitor and impriosnened.

Coming back to your analysis bro I've got a different theory. The people of the former British Somaliland especially the people of the North Western part have put their trust into the leaders of the former Italian Somaliland which they're regretting now. After the reunion they feld being left-out in the political and social process of the country (I know that feeling it is very bitter to see that you're a capable as the others but being refused to take a leading role) hence they tried to forge an alliance with the people of Southern Moqadisho to form a tribal based opposition group which failed.

Somali politics which is very dirty and based on corruption especially on the side of the former Italian Somali-land. The reunion was conducted in a manner which seemed like people from the former British Somaliland joining their respective tribes in Italian Somaliland. Subsequelty a signifigant part namely Sool, Sanaag and Cayn joined the brethren in Mudug, Nugaal, Bari, Galgudud, Jubboyinka and Gedo. Whereas the people in Waqooyi-Galbeed, Awadal and Togdheer joined their brethren of Southern Somalia in Benadir, Shabeele hoose/dhexe, Hiiran etc. The people of Bay and Bakool being neutral.

Under the British and later UN the former Italian Somaliland a certain part it namely the people of Bari, Nugaal and Mudug already had a plan in store of how they are going to rule Somlia once it gets its independence because the people of the North-East of Somalia (Puntland) were far superior in regards of administration, governance and civilty than other Somalis because of their History and Heritage were they were the only Somali people who had foreign embassies in the Yemen, Shaariqa, Najd, Xejaaz and far places like India which they also had close entreprenual relationships regarding business etc.

They immedialtel started to take a leading role in Somalia they had significant numbers in the Somali Youth League (SYL) the only Somali party and they also had over 80% in the police force and 90% in the army control off. Furthermore they had people elected to parliament from places like Jowhar near Moqadisho and the opposition party was also headed by them. This brought hatred and Envy among the other Somali clans because the people of the North East had power and status and they deliberately sometimes told other Somali clans that they had divine right to rule Somalia because they saw it as their right that no other Somali clan can take from them.

It went that far that the Interior Minister said during a press conference that he just spent 5Million$ he just wanted to make other clans envy.

Furthermore they went as far as claiming that the people of the north east and that the rest of the Somalis are same in number or even more (Intii madax madow iyo ........ baa isla ekk).

It is because of that reason that certain people can't stand the people of the North-East and especially the people of the North West feld neglected and out of tune so they want to break away because they never sat on the kursii of the presidency in Somalia which was reserved for clan XX. During the former days the good old days when Somaliland was a british protectorate the had some power and now when they joined with the rest of Somalia they felt marginalised (people with no power and authority). Not only them but also the rest of the Somalis a somali saying goes like this "Mar Risaaq miyaa marna Rashiid miyaa inta kale ma Rooti baa" which is a protest of two people of the same clan proceeding in the most prestigious position of the country.

Cities like Kismaayo were once called Alabama State or Florida state because they were exclusive to one certain clan until the mid 70's when Siyaad Barre regime forced also other people to be allowed to settle in the Beautiful city on the southern tip coast of Somalia.

Also in the eighties the people of the North West claim wide range human rights abuses in which 50000 innocent or not so innocent people were killed only Allah subxaanah ta'caala knows the true fact of all casulties. That's another reason they want to break away but furthermore the people of the rest of the former Btitish Somaliland which consists of half of the territory actually don't want to break away namely Sool, Sanaag and Cayn people.

Going back to the post of Sky and Mz lander who seems to confuse us with the southerners and Moqadisho folks actually in our region the use of Abaayo is limited we use widely Walaaley and Walaal/Walaalyaal. In contrast people of the Bari region use Boowe.

Also sky's post about brownish teeth actually he didn't mean the common Somali dabar Sky knows himself if he goes to Gaalkacyo and those regions that they all have red teeth that's why they have so many Afguduud's. The Brown teeth with is actullay "huuro" or slob teeth. This was a common feature of the people of the North west because of their excessive Khat chewing nevertheless they're not to blame because of their geographical vicinity and nearness to Ethiopia they actually adopted that bad habit from the Xabash also the people of the Galbeed of *******yia also have the same features but they were not part of Somalia.

In football matches people in Moqadisho used to shout when a team from Waqooyi-Galbeed and Togdheer came "Ciao hargeysa Ciao Jaad mahaynee Ciao" because for the rest of the Somlis chewing khat was "ceeb" and well out of order and people used to laugh at the funny brown teeth which is not something to be proud off because it is dirt from chewing khat which is a common feature in all Somalia now you see this afHuuriyaal who daily chew khat day and night. But back in the day's people in the North West were content as long as they had they Khat and their red souced maraq and small bread whereas the rest of the Somalis completed of how to control the country.

Back to the top of not to know how to pronounce the letter "rR" if we had introduced our own far than this would not come up. We should actually use "Farta Cusmaaniyada" but the late Marxuum Maxamed Siyaad Barre was more keen on the latin script. If you know who produced the first Somali Dictionary who is actually the brother of the Yusuf Kenadiid who produced the first Somali written script known as Cusmaaniya.

I personally think that the use of the letters "DH" instead of the letter "r" or sometimes the letter "t" is actually over used.

The letter "DH" is an important component of the Somali alphabet and language and many words such as Dhamaad, Dhamaystir, Dhakhso but in cases like mar-mar like marmar qaarkood they actually changed it into madh-madh also sadexdii iyo barka and not actually sadexdii iyo badh and also in the word of Roti it is not Rodhi all in the world in Arabia and the India/pakistan. Also feer baan ku dhuftay and not "fedh".

Also waan caraysanahay and not "waan cadhaysanahay" also ceyr which they changed into caydh which also sounds like cay (swearing). Also if you say "har iyo Jeer" which is changed into "hadh iyo Jeedh or Jeer".

Another word is Tuwaal which means "towel" I just worked it out because I knew towel. The word came originally from the Egnlish language and was reportedly changed into "tuwaal". A Somali servant for the British said once "Can you give me my Towel" and the same Somali servant when he went back to his comrades and family members started to say "war isii tuwaalkaygii" and the other ignorant Somali said " Oo tuwaal maxaa layiraahdaa" " Dee waa Shukumankii la isu qalajio marka "madkha" la mayrto "maydho". Garkaada qaado or should i say Gadhkaaga qaado.

I personally think that the best Somali Dialect and Accent which has got three types or branches like the Southern, Northern and Af reer Maay. I think that the best is the Northern Somaali accent and dialect which is widely spoken in Sool, Nugaal, Sanaag, Mudug, Bari, Waqooyi-Galbeed, Togdheer, Ogadeeniya, Jubboyika and parts of Galgudud. I also think that the best part of the Northern Dialect is the Mudug Branch of Waqooyi-Bari actually the people in Bari speak naa nii but you should listen to "Idaajaa" to get a glimpse of Reer Mudug Accent on the BBC Somali Poetry collection which is widely available.

Also coming back on the post of Sky in which he said that the people in NorthWest say Nayaa to their female counterparts which is actually ceeb in other parts of Somalia. Women can say to each other nayaa but a man refering to a woman which he does't know as nayaa is indeed in appriopriate because it has got a negativness in it better words to use is Walaal, Abaayo, Walaaley, Gabar, Dumar or alternatively Xaskeyga but not Naagtayda.

Last but not Least I've got one advice for Sky: Behave yourself will yah!!!!

Sincere   

Also sky's post about brownish teeth actually he didn't mean the common Somali dabar Sky knows himself if he goes to Gaalkacyo and those regions that they all have red teeth that's why they have so many Afguduud's. The Brown teeth with is actullay "huuro" or slob teeth. This was a common feature of the people of the North west because of their excessive Khat chewing

Contrary to public belief the discolored teeth phenom is not a result of excessive khat chewing or poor hygiene. In Mudug and further up in the northern regions the water dug up from wells was not purified and nomads did not subject it to any rigorous purification method. The chemical elements present caused the discoloration. Consumption over a period of time stains the teeth and results in the “rust†like brownish pigment.

N.O.R.F   

^^^ some ppl are not that well informed :rolleyes:

Somalia is an 80 years old oldman. And Somaliland, young girl with no much expereince.

The two fell in love and wanted to establish a family. On July 1, they happly got married, but only breifly. There was no shiekh to witness the marriage, no meher/nikaax no gabaati.

It wasn't long before the love affair faded and the old man started abusing the young girl.

After 30 or so traumatic years of abuse, the young girl wanted no more of that and wants her divorce. But because the old man is now belind and unable to do anything for himself, not even going to toilet, he doesn't want to see her go.

The young girl has been living in seperation for 14 years and she is proud of her achievements.

A bright future lay ahead for them, this turned sour, now the valleys are getting wider and distrupting the bridge bulding. Very unfortunate indeed.

As for sky, insults are all well and dandy over the net ;)

Originally posted by AuxCod:

As for the red teeth..lool Reer Burco man....get your shit straight...(sorry reer burco).....

P.S. ADNAAN, the Admin claims to be from Borama, what do you expect.
Inabti bal ii sheeg how do you get to Amoud University from downtown Borame?
;)

Auxcod you thrifty rascal. :D

I was gonna actually correct that too but didnt want no burcaawis on my back (Have you ever had to contend with a loud, abnoxious, patriotic burcawi?...hope not)

I've never been to Borama.

Adnaan, evil mod you say? Coming right up! :D

evil mod you say? Coming right up!

Khalid, good morning walashis?

I fail to see why people call you evil. You come across as charming, even though I don’t know you very well.[And no I don’t want nothing from you!]

Of all the negative words to describe you, I wouldn’t use evil.

I personally have a word for you, but will I dare?

lol   

Is it only me or was this topic taken out of proportion? Common folks.. the sister asked a simple question and this didn't call for such a rage. Why is it hard for all of you to learn to agree to disagree.. u can accept the thoughts of someone but u don't have to agree with them...

Please cut this side-taking BS dat is going down in here. We are here because we love being Somalis simple. We do belong to different tribes and different territories, but that should make us enrich our diversity not dicriminate.

So please... stop this.

ST-Paul: Sister the difference is this.

On 1960 when current Somaliland ( the British protectrate of Northwest Somalia) got its independence from the colonial powers of the British, they were given the choice to either reunite with the rest of Somalia or be a sovereign state. The were patriots and unlike Djabouti, they choose unification. And on july 1st, they reunited with the Italian Somaliland.

Through the 30 years of independence before the word, Somaliland people felt they weren't treated fairly and that they were oppressed and abused by the government of Siad Barre and that the rest of Somalia didn't step up to do anything about it. And now when the civil war tore the country apart, they felt its time they took their sovereignty back and be independent so as to free themselves from the oppression and abuse endured.

That is all. Nothing more nothing else.