Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Land of Punt

Viking   

Encore, encore...psst psst, click on the image to enlarge!

Sphinx, Giza

th_881da252.jpg

Sphinxes Avenue, Luxor

th_4c104fed.jpg

Obelisk, Temple of Luxor

th_c6b9c8b6.jpg

FIN :D

th_dc583c16.jpg

Warmoog   

Great pictures, Viking. Some of your captions – the references to "Somali booty" and an "old school Puntlander" – are a bit misleading because they draw a direct connection, in not so subtle terms, between Somalia and the Land of Punt. But the pictures are enchanting. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

NASSIR   

Thanks Viking. Well i have to make my expedition to the real Land of Punt and smell the frankincense and myrhh that are there.

Viking   

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it.

Yasmine,

Perhaps I misunderstood your words; are you saying the Land of Punt is somewhere other than the region inhabited by Somalis?

Warmoog   

^^^

I'm saying the idea that the Land of Punt was located in the Somali peninsula is one theory among many, which are now considered more or less unreliable, so it should not be portrayed as a firmly established fact.

J.Lee   

are you saying the Land of Punt is somewhere other than the region inhabited by Somalis?

Runtii, there is no archaeological evidence which support the theory that Punt is located in Bari: The theory itself is but a result of the mere phonetic similarity between Opone, the east-African trading center mentioned and cited by an unknown traveler (which at one time was translated to mean Punt) and haafuun, a city in the Bari region.

Matter of fact, is it not only unreliable, as Yasmin pointed out but it's often questioned as there’re but the commonality of the exported incenses, which lend support to "our claim." A claim, b.t.w, we share with Eritrea and Sudan.

This is what Wikipedia says:

And this is what giocities says:

And touregypt says this:

And homestead has to say this:

All the references I looked at, Somalia is in the lead. In most of them, Hafun is identified by name. Unless otherwise proven wrong/false it is not too far fetched from the fact to say present Puntland is the historical land of Punt.

Though I lack scientific proof for it, I take especial pride in Somalia being the origin of Egyptian civilization. But it is just history, I know. History, nothing more.

Viking   

Yasmine and Jimca Lee,

There might not be archeological sites to point to, there are other evidence that indicate that the 'Land of the Gods' was in the regions inhabited by Somalis. For example...

- At least six of the Pharaonic gods are depicted holding the Somali Hangool

- Some of their gods are depicted holding the slender Somali spear

- Ancient Egyptian traditional dresses, the Royal scarf worn around the waist as well as the (Ivory) headrest all remind one of the present day Somalia

- The method of burying the dead with belongings was also a pre-Islamic Somali tradition

- The word GOWRAC means slaughter in Somali. GOWRAC literally means cut for RAC - refers to the ancient supreme sun diety RA/RE/RAY

- Isis and Osiris are Greek distortions of ISIR AND WASIIR in Somali

There are many other words in the Somali language that have show a clear connection to the Egyptian dieties. Even the tour guides on the ground in Hatshepsut's Temple in Luxor refer to the 'Land of the Gods' as present day Somalia.

Paragon   

Viking, I have come to associate the word 'Punt' with the peoples we currently called 'Boon' or 'Boontii'. These peoples who are mostly artisans, create the headsets and all other crafts such as spears, and are also related to more anceint Gureh, Galla or Oromo. So when one speaks of a link between Ancient Egypt and the Punt, I can't help but loook to these peoples (Midgaan, Madhibaan e.t.c included).

PS: I will expand on this later, Insha-Allah.