Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

WHO Claims Polio Stopped in Somalia

Coloow   

This must be one of the best news that I have read on Somalia!!!!! A few months ago I was watching a documentary about small pox. Apparently the last person on earth who was diagonised and survived from smallpox was a somali. I think he was a primary school teacher (1975?) and he was paraded in Mogadishu to the world press. The dude lives in Ca in the US.

The next disease to eradicate will be TB and Malaria...

and

Tribalism.

and then somalia will survive insha allah

Cara I am not sure what literature you have read would love it if you could post a link for me, but according to the physicians I work with who mind you have worked in Africa are very much keen on the idea of using BCG vaccines since they believe it is 10-35% effective. This may be a small percentage but in the long run it will be more than enough to mount a large-scale immune response thus reducing the period of the disease and severity.

I am not sure why you are dead set against this vaccine.Is it because you have read a few papers and thats enough to form an opinion. Whatever the case may be it seems you are missing my point. BCG vaccines were never given to adults in Somali( not to my knowledge anyways both my parents had it at a tender young age). I think you should have a chat with anyone from Somali who has worked in the health field.

All I wish is for WHO to re-establish vaccine programmes in Somali like the administration of BCG, MMR and Hepatitis B vaccines rather than dwell on diseases like polio and perhaps concentrate their efforts on the prevention of Malaria. This would be far more useful to our people.

Odey: Classic!The last man to be diagnosed with smallbox had to be a Somali :D

By the way the probability of eliminating tribilism in Somali is probably the same probability of finding a cure for HIV, Zero mate.

Coloow   

Endeavour,

Yes, he was a somali- and he lives in the US. On the doucmentary they showed his picture (scars on every part of his body) and his face now.

If tribalism could be equated with HIV, I will say there is still hope. In many European countries aids is like any other disease.

Tribalism will die insha allah but you and I might not be present that day. I have a theory that it is going to end; when somalis who were born in the diaspora understand the primitive nature of this cancer; when the wadaados stop misintepreting the quran to eat a free lunch;

Cara.   

Odey, there's a picture of the gentleman in many an immunology textbook smile.gif

Endeavour, the BCG vaccine is a pet peeve of mine, so you'll have to forgive me smile.gif

I'm not deadset against it precisely, it's just that I'm surprised the current thinking in your experience is that the BCG works to a significant degree. No offense to your colleagues, but I suspect that many physicians rely on what they learned in medical school 20 years ago to inform their decisions. In the 1950s, the BCG vaccine was found to be highly effective in the UK. But since then study after study has shown that it is NOT particularly protective against pulmonary TB in Asia or Africa, with studies in Malawi and India showing 0% vaccine efficacy. Even in places with vaccine efficacy in the 10-35% range, protection lapses after 15-20 years. So individuals who were given the vaccine as neonates would be vulnerable as teens and, as I mentioned, the BCG vaccine is not at all protective if given to adults.

Sadly, someone who ran a clinical study in Nigeria told me that parents are more likely to let their children come into extensive contact with people with active tuberculosis if they think their child is protected by the vaccine. This may be dangerous thinking, and could explain why one trial found that vaccinated people were slightly MORE likely to get active pulmonary TB.

1. P. E. Fine. 1995. Variation in protection by BCG: implications of and for heterologous immunity. Lancet 346: 1339-1345.

2. J.M. Ponnighaus et al. 1992. Efficacy of BCG vaccine against leprosy and tuberculosis in northern Malawi. Lancet 339: 636–639.

3. L. Brandt et al. 2002. Failure of the Mycobacterium bovis BCG Vaccine: Some Species of Environmental Mycobacteria Block Multiplication of BCG and Induction of Protective Immunity to Tuberculosis. Infection and Immunity 70: 672–678

The first paper summarizes many other studies up to that point in a nice table. The last paper gives a mechanistic explanation that is widely held to be true.

Originally posted by Odey:

This must be one of the best news that I have read on Somalia!!!!! A few months ago I was watching a documentary about small pox. Apparently the last person on earth who was diagonised and survived from smallpox was a somali. I think he was a primary school teacher (1975?) and he was paraded in Mogadishu to the world press. The dude lives in Ca in the US.

-------------

DSC_0119.jpg

180px-Last_known_smallpox.jpg

Cudurka furuqa oo dunida laga ciribtiray 1977 oo hadal heyntiisu dib u dunida ugu soo laabatay

Furuqu wuxuu waqti kamid ahaa cudurada ugu halisan ee caalamka soo maray, kaas oo ahaan jirey cudur aad u xanuun badan, isla mar ahaantaana calaamadihiisa degdeg loo arkijirey. Cudurkaasi wuxuu ahaan jirey mid si sahala loo kala qaadi karo. kahortaga cudurkaasi wuxuu ahaan jirey tallaalka.

Cudurkaas waxaa dunida laga ciribtiray sannadkii 1977. Taas oo dunida ku qaataya laba qarni in guushaas lagaaro.

Qofkii ugu dambeeyey ee cudurka furuqu (smallpox) uu ku dhaco wuxuu ahaa nin Soomaali ah oo deganaa magaalada Marka, ninkaas oo ahaa kariye waxaa magaciisa la oran jiray Cali Macoow Macalin waxaana uu cudurku ninkas ku dhacay 26 October 1977, waana laga daweeyey, kaas ayuu ahaa markii ugu dambaysay ee cudurkaas dunida lagu arko.

[November 2001. More on here.]