Sign in to follow this  
Passion_4_Fashion

SHOULD DISABLED PEOPLE BE INCLUDED INTO MAINSTREAM SCHOOLS?

A/ALAYKUM fellow nomads

I believe the topic says it all....i would like to ask you a question dear reader..... WOULD YOU SIT NXT TO DISABLED PERSON (no correction - PERSON WITH A DISABILITY) IN YOUR CLASS?

Having moved from Scandinavian country where disabled people are totally isolated from the rest of the community,when I came to UK I was shocked to see disabled people in the same colleges with "normal" people. (I have a BIG problem with that word - what is normal anyway?) Anyway because of my ignorance at that time I thought to my self there's something wrong with British education system but ever since I've started Uni (n becoming a teacher in 2 years time insha-Allah) theres one particular module that have changed my views towards them. If you care to know that module is called Introduction to inclusive education

please share ur views with us!

salam sista

nice topic .... i really dont think that they

gotta mix ... be cause Disabled ppl are shy

last year my classmate was Disabled and believe

me ... i havent ever saw her talking to someone

i was really surpirised when once she asked me

im tired can u buy for me my break fast from the

cafatirea???? and i was really happy,

but in the same time ,,, girlz make fun of her

and thats aint no good because she will feel that

she is no accepeted!

i remember what they used to do , u know what??

they write letters for her n put it in her disk

n after she read it she laugh n then they make

fun of her??? that was not good really , and

me n my friends were like YOU ! xaram leave her

alone , so i think they gotta be together , the

disabled ppl so that they r the same other wise

other ppl will make fun of them just as i saw !

well done sis for the good topic

ta ta :D

well, im from the UK, almost born and bred here, and i have always had a dissabledd person in my school.

i have never had one in my class, but i wish i did, i see them as an inspiration. they have so much in life to cope with, yet they have so much life and love in them. i say this because sometimes i think to myself, if i had an accident and i lost my legs - i wouldnt want to live, then i was in hospital and i came accross this 13 year old girl, she got into a severe car crash, she was in a coma for 4 weeks, and was on a (DNR)do not resusitate order by the doctors, because they thought that her damages were so bad that she would not make it - it would be better if she died.

she came out of the coma, though she is stuck in a bad, she is able to watch t.v, she laughs and cries, and one day, i was changing her feed, the equiptment being new to me, was making a funny noise, so i asked her, were is that noise coming from (i was a lil scared) and she stared histerically laughing at me, then i figured were it was coming from, and every day after that - whenever i mention the machine incident she would laugh at me. now she is off, the DNR list, she gets physio therapy and all the other care, and u should just see her determination to get better..

in my secondary school, we had a few kids with downs syndrome, it was soo nice to see them playing and learning and messing around--they helped me understand their condition,...now, whenever i hear about downs syndrome, or people with downs syndrome..i dont think that its a foreign desease, im educated about the condition i dont see the people with this condition as a threat, or as mad uncontrollable people.

as a student paediatric nurse, i have worked in a hospital with dissabled kids, walahay it would make u cry how brave they are. the amount of operations a child goes through, and how he still has a smile on his face, and the ditermination to carry on living,fighting and learning.

disabled people, can teach all of us a thing or 2 about humanity. to lock them away from society is in-human and out of order. they should be out and about getting the same learning oppertunities as everyone else. obviously u have different disabilities, and different severities of the same dissabilites, if they are able and want to go to school with 'normal' kids, they should have that choice. i dont think it is right to force them into mainstreem shcools if they want to stay in special schools...however i think that integration is good for them, and for us aswell, we can all learn from eachother.

p.s i feel that more should be done for disabled people in terms of access to facilities, some schools, buildings and train sations--still dont have disabed access, and because i commute on the trains alot, i find that those stations with the lifts -- normally have lifts that are not working!

Well, Yeah, I would sit next to a disabled, they are very interesting bunch. Schools and employers here in the States are required to accomodate disabled people. IT IS THE LAW. Those with physical or mild mental retardation can function fine in society, and therefore should have access to everything. Those whoever with severe mental retardation unfortunately either stay with their parents or are institutionilized.

Qac Qaac   

Iskey_baro abaabah.. soo dhawoow.

yeah i would sis next to disabled person why not.

Mali girl.. u should of knocked out those stuuuu pid girls laughing at the disabled girl.. damn those ppl. way iga xanaajiyeenba..

p.s. iskey baro. na iskeen bar.

Tuujiye   

Ikay baro waa lagu soo cafiyey yaah......lol...we missed you yaaqee...wlc back Sawirkii shaarbaha lahaana waa iska soo dhigtay...lol...

Hey Mali sis you should have slaped them chicks man....damn that makes me mad....

wareer badanaa!!!

If they are physical disabled yes I wouldnt mind having them in the same schooling set up. As they maybe smarted than a normal healthy person. But if they are mentally disable I beleive it will be very strainous to the student and the class as a whole to function as a unit. As the normal class set up is not nurturing enough and the teachers cannot provide special or should i say extra attention to that particular student when a need arises.

I have seen my fair share of mentally disabled children in the pediatric wards and saw how suddenly they can fall into a tantrum for no particular reason and be very hard to reason. Now having such a child in a normal school set up will be hard for the student and fellow classmates. As the necessary lesson will not be taught and all attention will fall on that particular person and it will make the situation worse. As they are unfortuantely targeted as objects of ridicule by students.

Im glad to see that efforts to accomodate disabled people in the society has been made by most developed countries. People who could have been bedridden for life have their electronic mobile buggies and live quite a normal life.

Awareness still though needs to be increased at the primary school level. I remember in Tanzania we had special trips to the deaf and dumbd and other physical disabled schools and chat with them try to understand how they live their lives. Thus reduces the stigma at a tender age. Could u beleive seeing kids with no hands but they could write with their toes. Managing to do craftwork which I with my 2 hands cant do. Was an eyeopener.

not bad topic and matter fact i dont see a broblem if i seat right next to a person with disabilities and also one thing we should know is god made these person look like these and he has a good reason for doing these so all iam saying is there is no problem with that and i would have disagree with putting people with nees in a different place.