Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

New Pill Makes Mensturating Optional

Every woman has a menstrual horror story. The debilitating cramps. The stained clothing when you couldn't make it to the bathroom. A romantic weekend with the boyfriend spoiled.

That's life with the curse . We just learn to put up with it. Period. Stuffing our toiletry bags with a fistful of pads and tampons, just in case, is our lot in life because Mother Nature has decreed that women must bleed.

That may be about to change, however. In 2006, a new oral contraceptive, called Anya, is expected to hit the Canadian and U.S. markets, according to this week's Maclean's magazine.

The pill, manufactured by U.S.-based Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and pending approval by Health Canada, is designed to be taken every day, virtually eliminating periods .

"Health experts are predicting that by this time next year, menstruation will no longer be an inevitable function but rather an optional feature, a bit like power steering or pay-per-view," says Maclean's.

U.S.-based Barr Pharmaceuticals, which introduced the extended-cycle oral contraceptive Seasonale in the U.S. in 2003, is also itching to tap into the Canadian market.

Women on Seasonale take the tablets for 84 consecutive days, followed by seven days of a placebo, reducing their periods to only four a year. How popular is it? Well, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2005, Barr recorded Seasonale sales of $87 million.

In October, Barr announced it granted Montreal's Paladin Labs an exclusive licence to seek approval for and market Seasonale in Canada.

"We are confident that Paladin will be able to effectively communicate the benefits of the Seasonale extended-cycle oral contraceptive regimen to this exciting, new market," Barr chairman Bruce Downey said in the press release.

None of this is a certainty, of course. At this time, neither Anya nor Seasonale have been approved, says Health Canada.

But if, as the Maclean's piece suggests, the nuisance of regular periods could soon be over for Canadian women, it's crucial that we assess the health implications.

What woman wouldn't want to banish her periods forever? No more trips to the bathroom every two hours? An end to soaking the blood-smeared clothes? Booking a getaway around other considerations besides your monthlies?

It sounds almost too good to be true. Well, so did hormone replacement therapy. Then, studies showed it increased the risk of heart attacks, strokes and breast cancer.

"We need to see the research (on extended-cycle birth-control pills). We need to learn from past lessons," says Kathleen O'Grady, spokesman for the Canadian Women's Health Network.

These drugs are specifically marketed for menstrual suppression to healthy women who don't have problem periods, she points out.

And no long-term studies have been done on the impact of menstrual suppression on fertility or the consequences of taking hormones for years on end, she adds.

Girls in their early teens who want to eliminate their periods could conceivably take the extended-cycle oral contraception for 20 years until they want to have children, says O'Grady.

"It's very dangerous to ... undervalue the importance of natural women's cycles."

Christine Hitchcock, research associate with the Centre for Menstrual Cycle and Ovulation Research at the University of B.C., also worries about the impact of high doses of hormones.

"You always need to consider what the benefits are against what the costs are," she says.

More study is needed before women can make informed decisions about the issue, the U.S.-based Society for Menstrual Cycle Research warned in 2003.

Canadian women will probably be too bloody impatient to wait for long-term studies, though. Many will gamble on the pills and stop buying tampons. Let's hope we don't face a health disaster down the road.

Source 1

Source 2

Arawella   

I am not too convinced to buy this product. Like Ms O'Grady pointed this area is still in its infancy and requires more research. I rather face my monthly demon and stock on the pads. I believe that there is a reason decreed from Allah why we have our menstruals hence I am gonna leave mine run its course until it decides to dry.

"Menstrual suppression" wat kinda of wack solution is that, I wonder? seriously ever since the studies came out I kept a suspecious eye on those pills. Oh! and those disturbingly painfull adds!

Oh have you been suffering from menstrual pain, well no more. Guess what you can wear whites for the first time and be more clean( like you had to stay off white cuz you dripping all over)

I seriously think it will do a collateral damage to women's health. but the world wont know that until some dumb rich blondee pours her heart out from her horrible experience with the pill on deadline, will we?

menstruation and menstrual cramps(and amnot reffering to the lifethreatning one somali girl experience that is just an unfortunate. )are natural. it is a small fee you pay for being able to produce life, so get over it and get used to it cuz women have been dealing with it since the down of time!

---------------------------------------------

Get Up! Up Even the best fall down sometimes

Modesty   

That is just plain proposterous! Ovulation is healthy part of being woman, no one has the right to oppress this God given gift. It might be painful sometimes, but you have to stick to it.

Originally posted by Modesty:

Ovulation is healthy part of being woman, no one has the right to oppress this God given gift. It might be painful sometimes, but you have to stick to it.

How can any1 oppress you when taking it is entirely voluntary?

Originally posted by Castro:

^ I think she meant to say suppress, not oppress.

OK but what gives? It's still voluntary and up to each women unless I'm missing something.

Miriam1   

^She meant the supression of a natural biological function is meaningless considering the fact that women have had and survived with it since the beginging of time.

On choice?

Everyone has choice..we all could choose to sing the barney song, what was it "I love you U love me eveyrone loves everyone lala"

Just kidding :D

On the topic.

I found this quote interesting

"These drugs are specifically marketed for menstrual suppression to healthy women who don't have problem periods, she points out."

Considering that majority of women see thier cycle as an inconivence, I would have thought that this drug would be targetted towards the group of women who faced horrible menstural pains and usually resort to taking drugs like Midol(sp?).

Interesting overall..but the implications of side-effects are far to great.

Where's the Advil!

hodman   

wonder what manner of side effects are in the pipeline with this one.You just can't tamper with creation like that and get off scott free

juba   

^ exactly

NOTHING comes easy guys! just swalloing a pill and thats thats?? yea right, next thing you know your on the floor having convulsions! :rolleyes:

Modesty   

Socod_Badne

How can any1 oppress you when taking it is entirely voluntary?

Yes, I said "oppress" and I meant that. I'm saying the woman who are taking it. That's just ridiculous, and I don't think it's voluntary, I think they're a bunch of brainwashed anti-feminists. redface.gif

Originally posted by Modesty:

I think they're a bunch of brainwashed anti-feminists.
redface.gif

I second that, will comment on this later inshallah.

But honestly speaking Im not surprised I once thought of it too. When I just hit puberty wanted always to be dads son. :( With the new change I had to accept being a female and the responsibilities which comes with it. ;) Would I pop down the pills or advice someone to do so, NO :D menstruation is healthy it means your fertile. Without it youve hit the menopause and your chances of being a mum are almost nil(well with the exception of the latest techology which is costly). Limiting your periods to 4 times a year may cause alot of trouble.For those who COULD advocate because of the pain, there are strong painkillers in the market why bother stopping something which is natural :confused:

Side effects> My mere speculation more pain, maybe endometriosis as the tissues arent eliminated from the body can be seeded somewhere else and cause pain.(though doesnt make sense as they suppress the menstruation and thats endometriosis treatment may happen if the medication isnt taken properly).

As its a hormonal suppression maybe side effects on the skin> more hair??weight gain??acne??. Spotting?? endometrial proliferation if the dosage is low or medication not taken properly..

Cancer in the long run >Ovarian cancer as the risk factors include low number of birth, infertility and delayed childbearing. though the use of Oral contraceptives are said to be protective. :confused: Could a new type of endometrium cancer appear as there is prolonged suppression??

Wonder how long will it take the lady to fall pregnant when she stops the medication. Will she be infertile as the organs have been supressed for too long? will the only option be assisted reproductive techniques which means money and alot of time to spend??

To be honest need to read more on this drug and its effects.

All in all what I see is another means to fulfils mankinds greed. Having children doesnt seem to part of this deal.

fiamanillah

"next thing you know your on the floor having convulsions!"

Exactly...Lol

<---Fuuleyad&Proud.....

Anywhoo I'll probably miss it in some....strange....weird way.No more free belly&back rubs,excuses to eat VAST amounts of chocalate guiltfree and not do the chores icon_razz.gif