Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

ENGLISH...

Hibo   

Let's face it -- English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend, that you comb through annals of history but not a single annal? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preacher praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? If you wrote a letter, perhaps you bote your tongue?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to anasylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at aplay and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and wise guy are opposites? How can overlook and oversee be opposites, while quite a lot and quite a few are alike? How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell another?

Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are absent? Have you ever seen a horseful carriage or a strapful gown? Met a sung hero or experienced requited love? Have you ever run into someone who was combobulated, gruntled, ruly or peccable?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (which, of course, isn't a race at all). That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?

Richard Lederer

CRAZY ENGLISH

------------------

There is no Sin Greater Than Ignorance

R.Kipling

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

[This message has been edited by Shaqsii (edited 04-30-2002).]

Hibo   

That just got me thinking!

It sure is crazy - Tho'I may say not crazy enough to come up with the "Ebonics" Blacks and most of the Somali kids tend to speak these days - Relatively simple-minded approach affecting them academicly and socialy - There'r countless # of Somali kids who'r just dropping out of school, having troubles in understanding standard English!

Many argue Ebonics is the only way out of keeping these kids in school - which btw is about to be recognized as a Language ie; the "White man's game" of completely disabling/handicapping the brains - A smart way of Dooming many Generations to come if you ask me!

God Bless.

------------------

"He tried to be somebody by trying to be like everybody, which makes him a nobody."

Hibo   

Where is our artistic integrity? Weren’t we taught to always credit our sources and not infringe on the ideas of others? Meaning we should give credit where credit is due whenever we borrow materials.

Here is where I originally saw this article

http://www.affirmation.org/english.htm

PS. I hope my post does not get deleted because of my sincere valid argument, it’s NOT meant to criticize the originator of this thread but to stress on the importance of artistic integrity.

Hibo   

i saw more than once peeps posting things and not giving credit where it's due... there is nothing wrong with borrowing others work but i think it will be good for the poster to atleast state whose work it is...i for one never take credit for something i haven't wrote.....also i thought it was one of the sites rules not to post here copy righted materaials.....but if the moderator(s) aren't following the rules WHO WILL? cwm30.gif

Hibo   

again we attacked the person/

good god almight!

the bro gave credit to the writer.. ppls read till the end.. dang yall.

or in ebonics.."wha' da deal wich-yalls??"

------------------

I LOVE ME FOR ME

I am bothered by people putting other nomads' integrity on the line. Shaqsii did give credit to the author and if you didn't see it, why rush into judgement?

And even if the author of this thread forgets to cite the source because of human error, there is no formal claim on his part that he is the author. This is a forum where people discuss issues.

Let us not be too preoccupied with the source of every single thread. DEBATE THE MESSAGE. That is why we are all here for.

I think it is time we got rid of this anonymous bashing of each other. It is time for everyone on this forum to start registering.

Hibo   

Libaax-Sankataabte

walaalkiis walaahi it would be nice if you guys ban all unregistred users....i have the feeling that they are all registred but don't want to use their nick....but my question is if you are ashamed to post something using ur nick why hide behind anonymous name and bash ur fellow nomads

just my opinion

------------------

"Prayer is man's greatest means of trapping the infinite resources of God."

- J. Edgar Hoover

Hibo   

*********DELETED

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 05-01-2002).]

Hibo   

Could it possible one of the Annon's was Raaghe (i think any1 who misspells Raage is an Idiot)?

------------------

morgan_freeman.jpg

Salaama All.........

Mr. or Ms. Artistic Intg. don't hate on the brotha Just cuz he posted befor ya cwm38.gif

Shaqsii Nice topics as alwayz English is a crazy Lang No question about it....

Hibo   

You are right Artistic but sometimes one doesnt either have the source or has just posted it for debate purpose. The Internet is vast and there are different copies of such information around which I must admit doesnt have the authors permission nor given the credit. I also know that you where criticising me and trying to make me look a fool but thats ok too. I wouldnt be suprised as it is the nature of some us Somalis never to appreciate one trying to educate and put asmile on other Nomads faces. One thing though, is that you are right when you say that the originator needs to be given the credit and I do whole heartedly agree.

Libaax and the other Nomads, I do appreciate your support brothers & Sisters and hope most Nomads do the same for each other so we can atleast learn from each other and perhaps develop ourselves rather than always criticise...ofcouse having said that, Postive criticism is always welcome.

------------------

R.Kipling

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

Hibo   

Shaqsii: Just want to say "Thank You" for your Uplifting Influence and the Philosophy you bring in our everyday life - Looking forward to reading many more to come bro.

As for the Hatterz out there - We must envy no one; for the good do not deserve envy and as for the bad - the more you prosper, the more u ruin yourself - Get on over with it.

God Bless.

------------------

"He tried to be somebody by trying to be like everybody, which makes him a nobody."

Missy   

english is a very strange language its even stranger ur trying to learn how to read it.

for instance when i first came to the UK i didn't understand the concept of silent letters i would read words like know as 'kanow' and knee as 'kanee' it amused a lot of my classmates.

also why do they use more letters than they need like the word queue im sure 'qu' would have been enough or even just 'q'.

Hibo   

Many thanks SouL ....you certainly epitomise the SOUL in Heart of this place...

Yeah Missy you right they should cut the excess words out I suppose.. smile.gif

------------------

R.Kipling

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'