Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Islii: The most expensive slum

Oz   

Originally posted by Shar ma'arke:

No changes, still crazy n all da same. Although hewa zao hazibambi ka zamani nami nimekuwa mbuyu. No old school as we were used to.

That was un necessary Shar'mar'ke soko baado kubwa!

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiy aar:

Nayroobi has some good, pretty appealing coffee houses. I had been to all three in the tourist area of downtown, just besides the Hilton hotel, who all are isku wada dhow. One of three,
Coffee Pub
, is owned by Soomaalis. The other two being
Java House
iyo
Dormans
. They reminded me
Williams Coffee Pub
in Koronto.

Dormans is a nice place. Infact one of my favourites. Used to be a dating/meeting corner for non-somali youngsters back in the days, although now populated mainly by bald-headed somalis. But hey now they've a new branch at Westgate shopping centre in Westlands. Way better than the one in kenyatta avenue.

Savanna coffee house (I liked this place) is another one worth mentioning (specially the one in upper hill).

Java house in downtown..no no.too crowdy..if you really want to experience a peaceful nairobi, away from the noises of isli and tao, and with a lovely one, pay a visit to Java house at Adams junction (although I was never into java house coffee shops, but this one stands out, it's more of a restaurant though. My fav place, good memories) or drive further ahead to Nakumatt junction where u'll find both Java house and the famous italian Mediterrenean restaurant. Very cosy and relaxing. You'll get the fastest wireless internet connection for free at Java house (both at Adams and Nakumatt)

Are you into Libanese/arab food then Cedars restaurant is the place for you. The food is amazing but too pricy. You may run into Ruto or Mudavadi here, not mentioning some somali qabqablayaal aka politicians. Next to it, still in Lenana road, is Habeesha, finest ethio restaurant in Nai with the best ethio dishes and it's ethio - swahili influenced sitting arrangement. Be served under the baobab/palm trees outside btw..The other ethio Red sea restaurant next to it has bad sitting arrangement and the food is crap. Don't waste your cents there.

In isli, Andaluus restaurant is where to be. And the lodge has some standard. Lived there for a month right after it's opening. The staff are polite to be somalis. The only minus here is how the customers rudely mistreat the maids, who happen to "cabiids".

Pascal or Thorn tree at Stanely are worth passing by too while in town.

Oz   

sarit-java.gif

this place is the place to be, of course Java house in Sarit Centre

Originally posted by Shar ma'arke:

quote:Originally posted by Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg:

quote:

Originally posted by Malika:

Okay,the place smelled terribly! Endend up ruining a pair of good shoes,still trying to get rid of stains on my clothes...I mean is that dust on those roads or something else,it stained my clothes.I kept expecting the tires on the car to bust,the pot-holes on the road are filled with stones!

I loved the food though in the restaurants,ciil baa hiliib uu hayee, waan kaa soo deergee!

The Somali beggers aa raxadaa igaa qaadee,Somali children and old ladies begging on the streets was hard to see.

The nightlife of Eastleigh is something to write home about! am still shocked.
:D

I might be heading there in a month or so, what are the good night clubs?
:D
There are no nightclubs in Eastleigh. But if you wanna explore Nairobi's nightlife then got to Westland(a neighbourhood in Nrbi, locally known as Westy). There you'll find the most popular and booming clubs in one junction. That place rocks at night. And you may meet Nairobi's finest in everything, from chicks to hammers. They've Red tape, Pavement, Rezorus, Black diamond all opposite to each other. You'll surely find many khat-chewing maryooley sitting in their cars. Mark that they only drive tainted Toyota corollas although it's a no no for other kenyans to drive such cars in a posh area like westy.

Casablanca(in Hurlingam if am not wrong),with arabian taste, is worth visiting too.

But you may pay a visit to Simba saloon in Canivore (Langata) to get a state of Africa's wildlife, from crocodile meat to ostrich oil. This is a serene and a quite restaurant suitable for a night out. Next to it is kenya's famous canivore night club, though outdated lately.
Thanks man, will check those places out inshallah. :D

Originally posted by Fu-Fu:

lol nuune, horta isli ado jaago maxaaba night club kufale ,, the number 9 aaba club lugu leh oo socdo ah lol...abkeey bajaq oo dhan intey jalbaab so gishtaan maxeey si raaceen so raaceen no.9 ka

LoL. Walaalkey, who hadn't set a foot in Afrika for 30 years, save a week in Xamar in '85, ayaa saarnay baskaas last month when he came to Nayroobi. Mareykanka ka yimid. Asagoo kala firirsan ayuu kasoo dagay when downtown gaarnay.

Kuwa basaskaas wado iyo dabakafooladooda dhagahooda ma u naxaan miyaa taloow? Weyba kibreen haddana kuwa ugu dhawaaqa culus oo 12th ayee kasoo kala jiireyaan, oo qofkii u socdo 4th iyo 3rd meelahaas ma kala jecla. That is why 6thka u raaci jiray ani, madax xanuun ka sakoow meesheyda i geynaayo.

Nuunka iyo night club Islii ku yaalo waxa baray ayaaba igu daran. War Nuunka waaka qaraaban jirtay yaah mahaas? Yac. :D

Sharmaarke will recognize Southlands, Langatta, in the following images. My family used to live there from 1992 to 2000. Southland jidadkeeda xaafadaha wey burburtay ka waran. Clean iyo without potholes ahaan jirtay.

southland3.jpg

southland.jpg

southland1.jpg

The green-gated one is the house we lived back then in '90s.

southland2.jpg

raula   

I have been to Isich few time after departing peacefully in 96' and really never walked alone w/out family w/me..its was crowded to say the least and i was scared in ani laftigeyga laigato..caadi ma ahan meesha...this is coming from a gal who was hardcore gangsta from Ngara girls if you know that school lol.

Last time i went, early 2010, thank god i hanged out w/my native cousin who senior admin @ one of the bank branches in isich by the way and lives in Mlango kubwa..and we hanged out at sarit and other joints..only to step foot at isich to buy some souvenirs for friends in states. But i enjoyed catching up w/old school mates from primary school years..and childhood friends, who many now are doing business in eastleigh. I couldn't stomach the somali restuarants still..ironically, i would settle for street food ...some mandazi in the AM, maharagwe PM and mid-day..and maybe some chips..or sukuma w/ugali..sorry if I am killing anyone's buzz but i am from rift valley :P

But my highlight was the trip from Nai to Mandera towards Gedo region. I boarded MASLAX bus..boy was the driver speedy G..this dude suu uu lalaayey..wadnahaan farta ku haaye every time...not to mention this was right after some heavy rains..and the roads were muddy and treacherous..so the trip took 4 days..but the scenery were breathtaking..the most atrocious place to stay at however at night was GARISSA..the mosquitos were hungry for blood..i couldn't sleep at night.

Next time if i go..perhaps visit some of the countryside..i wont bother w/Eastleigh..unless i have some business there..