Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Kanye West Spoke the Truth

West and Mike Myers had been paired up to appear about halfway through the show. Their assignment: Take turns reading a script describing the breach in the levees around New Orleans.

Myers: The landscape of the city has changed dramatically, tragically and perhaps irreversibly. There is now over 25 feet of water where there was once city streets and thriving neighborhoods.

West: I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family, it says, "They're looting." You see a white family, it says, "They're looking for food." And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. And even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I've tried to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I can give, and just to imagine if I was down there, and those are my people down there. So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help -- with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way -- and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!

Myers: And subtle, but in many ways even more profoundly devastating, is the lasting damage to the survivors' will to rebuild and remain in the area. The destruction of the spirit of the people of southern Louisiana and Mississippi may end up being the most tragic loss of all.

West: George Bush doesn't care about black people!

Myers: Please call . . .

"Tonight's telecast was a live television event wrought with emotion," parent company NBC Universal said in a statement issued to the Reporters Who Cover Television after the broadcast.

"Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks. It would be most unfortunate if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

Source

--------------

I don't care what anybody says---that is the damn TRUTH! And Kanye is the only one brave enough and man enough to speak it. *Two thumbs and toes way up*

Changed   

I couldnt agree anymore.. I dont know who watched Larry King Live Last night but Celine Dion Told the truth too..

Donate People...Give back to UR Black Community..TIME FOR BLACK PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD TO UNITE AND WORK TOGHETER>>>SUPPORT THE RED CROSS

Castro   

What is the truth? That blacks in America are poor? That racial inequality and racism are rampant? That hurricanes know no color? We should scream that in the ear of someone who really cares. And while I'm delighted that someone spoke the "truth", it saddens me that it took an entertainer to do so. What happened to the leaders? What happened to those we look up to in the community? Fcuk this sh!t.

We're all frustated, obviously. When Arabs donate billions to the US and it turns around and spends all its money invading Arabs. It is frustrating. But remember that those in power, wherever they are, identify with each other and help each other. Whether the culprit is a Tsunami, Katrina or a mis-guided missile from a B-52, the results are the same. Poor people die. It's just the nature of the beast. That's why poor people breed as they do, I guess. To replace those lost to man made natural disasters. Help when you can and where you can. Then move on.

On a brighter note, William Rehnquist died of cancer yesterday. About the only good news I've heard in weeks. I now sleep just a little better knowing that all the money he made will never buy back his soul.

shyhem   

^^^^^^

The death of rehnquist won't change athing,as matter of fact this provides Dubya with two chances of appointing two young conservative judges.A lasting legacy Dubya will be so proud of.

As for Kanye West he just said what the rest of us say in our daily life.However he also shoves jesus into u'r face not to mention his gay azz crap.

mojam   

Kanye is wrong about Dubya. Dubya ain't racist he's just a big time naccas who doesn't know when to cut his vacation short. I have never seen a more irresponsible president than him! However, the people with brains around him are difinitely racist. Kanye is of course right about the American media. We blacks are getting a trashy media cover just like we've been getting as Muslims all these years.

^What makes you say that? Cause you saw him strutting in front of the cameras pretending to kiss those spanish ladies, even with the noticable disgust and grimace on his face?

I was watching Oprah Winfrey's coverage of Katrina's aftermath. The lady shed some fake tears. If you really feel bad for them....take some damn millions out of the billion dollar fortune sitting in the bank and benefitting no one. Shidh. It wouldn't hurt her. The woman makes more more in a second than I ever could in a lifetime. I think there should be a limit on the money people earn. Billions controlled by one person is just disgusting. Specially if its not being used.

I also hate when celebrities come out and plead for people to donate. Apparently their name is supposed to cause people to reach deep inside their pockets. Im thinking...why the hell dont' they donate the money that they have more than enough of...than asking sad people with no money passing their time watching tv while they do nothing themselves?

*Sigh* I wish I could control the world. It would be a much better place.

CHE   

Bill Maher on republican ineptness :

They're what one would call
unintentional racist
; they can't comprehend why all those black folks cant get on their Range rovers and evacuate......

mojam:

Dubya aint racist...

Dubya's is unintentional racism, which is mainly due to his ignorance of the plight of the under-privileged Americans.

Lake   

Maybe he did it for his own selfish reason..I mean he had a new album out that very week he pulled that stunt…

Changed   

Truth of the matter is the Katrina did not hit the French curter! Why because the senators used the entire budget from past years to build protection for that area. May I remind all y'all that that is the area were majority of white people live!. I know there are poor people in white America but the 80% if not more of Katrina’s victims was people of color. Nature knows no race which is why white folks lost a lot of money. However they did not loose their entire life saving, they did not loose every penny they owned. Black people have to start all over again. Like a new born child with no home, no furniture, nothing. If it was another city where majority of the people were rich white folks this would not have happen.

It took them four days to get help! Race may have something to do with it but I think mainly it economics. We people of color are on the lowest level of the chart when it comes money. Some black folks may be rich but they are not wealthy.

We people of color are on the lowest level of the chart when it comes money.

P/Inclined;Nicely worded ' observation' ;)

Its high time they stopped depending on the Gov't

Originally posted by Brown:

Its high time they stopped depending on the Gov't

That's easier said than done. What do you expect them to do with the shitty lives they have? They're not like you and me. As Chris rock said 'they are lagging behind the rest of the population by almost 400 yrs'.

P.S. Celine dion spoke the truth too in the David Letterman or Larry King Show. Great.

Diamante   

What do you expect them to do with the shitty lives they have? They're not like you and me. As Chris rock said 'they are lagging behind the rest of the population by almost 400 yrs'.

I think it's high time people stopped excusing "Black People" and providing them with ready explanations on why they probably are the less fortuned ones than the rest of the world population. That way they will never take control of their lives and try and improve their living conditions.

The fact that they can get state money is even worse since that won't motivate them at all. Without making this sound like a conspiracy, I'd just like to point out that in my opinion state welfare was just invented to keep the poor dependant and "inferior" on the wealthier upper/middle class. They have the power to change that by working their asses off and stop accepting hand outs from Uncle Same.

I understand that this is probably an exhausted argument, but it just one of those arguments that should be discussed over and over again, milked out, bled dry, call it whatever.

As for the hurricane...Blaming someone for the late response is not going to reverse anything. All that time spent on hounding Bush and the media sending all them reporters could've been used differently. Lots of people could've been saved that didn't need to die on the streets waiting for rescue. Goes to show how things pan out when it turns political.

Ilahey haa u naxariisto all the people who died, amiin.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Politically-Inclined:

Donate People...Give back to UR Black Community..TIME FOR BLACK PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD TO UNITE AND WORK TOGHETER>>>SUPPORT THE RED CROSS

I took up your battle cry and phoned my aunt in Burco urging her to donate to her fellow suffering black people of New Orleans. I’m ashamed to say that she refused! She says all her money is tied up on a new five-bedroom villa she’s building on the outskirts of Berbera. She then passed the phone to my uncle who felt the pain of New Orleans and asked me to lend him $100 to send to his wretched brothers in that part of the world. He refused my offer to send it on his behalf. My uncle is great. He restored my faith in my family, saaxib.

Fight the power. Black people unite. We didn’t land on naaso hablood; we just saw it from a distance..