Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somalis Protesting Agianst Increased Khat Prices

I though i share dis article. It shows the problems of Khat. We import millions worthy of Khat every year from neighboring countries into major Somali cities like Mogadisho, Hargiesa, Kismayo, etc. This is a money wasted, and farther more Khat ruin lifes and relationship. I think it is about time we should educate our people about the dangers of dis drug. (Atleast talk to those that will care to listen).

_39258012_kenyakhatchewer203.jpg

Hundreds of protestors have marched through the streets of a Somaliland town after the price of a mild narcotic leaf, known as Khat, was doubled.

The stimulant is widely chewed in the breakaway state and across the region.

At the end of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan demand soars and so do prices, but the BBC's Hussein Ali Nur says protests are quite unprecedented.

The security forces in the central town of Burao fired shots in the air to deter the marchers.

According to a journalist there, the authorities held an emergency meeting with Khat suppliers and agreed to drop the prices back down to nearer the pre-Ramadan level.

Many onlookers expressed said they would have been more supportive if they had been protesting about the price of food and other commodities, which have also increased dramatically this year.

There is a lucrative business in the mild stimulant which is mainly chewed by men who sit in groups for long hours.

The Khat trade has been the cause of many disturbances in the past.

Source: BBC.Com

hukri   

This is a money wasted, and farther more Khat ruin lifes and relationship. I think it is about time we should educate our people about the dangers of dis drug.

I totally agree with you, truely unnecessary!!

Macalin   

Subxaanalah !

Saciir bararr eh?..on the flip side tho,it shows the ppl have tasted democracy!...whoever mobilised the 'maandho-maandho'(as we call it back home for banaan bax)was surely in full marqaan!

may these leaves be damnd forever amin!

Che, saxib this poverty-stricken nation of Somalia has surely become a nation infested with drug dealers and gut-totting thugs. Another bad news is that AIDS is starting to take its toll on what is left.

Ilaahay dhibaatadan hanaga saaro.

Changed   

they had a strike over khaat :eek: walahi that is crazy..pathetic story :rolleyes: interstingly enough their strike seemed to have paid off..they got the khat's price down..lol@lakhad yippee to democracy eeh smile.gif

indeed something should be done about it ..but how?

i say, let us start this campaign against chat in london, mn, la , ny, to etc., i mean after the ciid prayer, everyone was asking, oh! u know any one who is got chat? i mean right infront of the masjid!!too xaraam! walaahi!. mind u, these days, its guys and gals, young and old eating this crab!

this chat thing, is the worst disease that is affecting the nomad societies currently! so time, energy and money is wasted on it! :eek:

Lakkad.....I guess we could call this "exercising democracy" albeit for da wrong cause.

LST....I don't think anything will be left.We love to believe AIDS is Gaalo's problem, but though it is everybody's. AIDS will be one thing that will ensure Somalia never rises from its present predicament. Kenya and Ethiopia are already experiencing AIDS pandemic. It is only matter of time before da speard of this disease reaches critical levels in Somalia.

Miz-Unique...I guess we will have to be proactive, and started getting hands dirty by going back home, and help our nomads. Peace and political stability is of coarse the first order of business. The older Gens have obviously failed the country, it is about time younger Gens get involved, and change this current destrcutive path. Even if one doesn't go back home, he/she still could help by starting Khat and AIDS awereness programs for Somalis in da west. One could help da many NGOs working in all over Somalia.

Waaq   

Normally, I would never be ashamed to be a Somali. This article has shamed me to the very core. We all know that this scourge is not limited to Somalia( or Somaliland), but right in our own backyards in London, Toronto, Minn, Seatlle, and on and on. I now know many women use this stuff. Once our women (the remaining pillar of the Somali nation) are gone, we have nothing left.

Brothas and Sistas,

Why do we as Somalis commend so strongly those who drink alcohol, while allowing equivalent offenders to escape similar treatment. Ahhhh! The double standards, don't get me started on those.

I these freaks all over, they look like they just spend their childhood in a toxic waste dump.

As long as people deny the fact that khat is harmful and AIDS is deadly and spreading faster every day then the situation in our country and Africa in general will never get any better. It is up to those of us who have been fortunate enough to receive an education and a chance to help our people. Education and awareness about AIDS is crucial. It is a race against time. I read somewhere that if things progress the way they are now, within the next 10 years, Africa will be completely ravaged by the epidemic. We really need to act now. If we hope to ever see our country again and see Africa as it once was, then we must fight for it. Peace.

hukri   

^^How are we going to do that? As soon as you mention AIDS to a somali their first response would be: That doesn't concern us because it doesn't happen to us! and so on...

We need world aid organizations to get their shit together and help our people. An educaton and aid program needs to be put together on a massive scale. Walaahi if we knew all the answers we wouldn't be in the situation we are, but we have to make do I suppose.

Changed   

women use this stuff. Once our women (the remaining pillar of the Somali nation) are gone, we have nothing left.

did u just say women..am sure u meant men icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif .. everytime i hear the phrase women are chewing khat i go under a culture shock.seriosly when did women start doing khaat. $hit like that is a huge disappointement..My mom used to say "wax kasto wa la isku daarta inta cafiimadka aheyn" i never got the meaning behind it until know...women doing khaat :eek: :eek:

che-Gee good idea .. do we have an aids awareness program here in the US?..I think we should have a khaad awarenes organization too, the saddest thing is the somalis here in minnesota are working and trying to legalize khaad ..one of my proffesors is helping them do that :eek: :eek: sad and pathetic :mad:

the problem with the somali society is their stuborness. seriously we are hard headed , myself included redface.gif

A7LA-SHU   

that was funny.. i think they have nothing else to worry about.. good for them..

mizz unique come again? women chewing khat isnot new my dear that is old news lol..

wanna to point out that guy in the pic is kinda cute (weird kinda cute :Dicon_razz.gif;) )