Sign in to follow this  
me

Woman swallows 78 items of cutlery

me   

Woman swallows 78 items of cutlery

Published: 6:00AM GMT 29 Oct 2009

A woman obsessed with swallowing spoons and forks was forced to have an operation after she ate an entire canteen of cutlery. Surgeons in Rotterdam, Holland, removed 78 different items of cutlery from Margaret Daalmans's stomach after she came to hospital complaining of stomach pains.

cutlery_1512347c.jpg

The cutlery removed from the woman's stomach Photo: CEN

An astonishing X-ray taken before the operation showed dozens of forks and spoons trapped inside the 52-year-old patient.

"She seems to have been suffering from some sort of obsession and every time she sat down for a meal she would ignore the food and eat the cutlery," said one medic.

Daalmans works as a secretary in a local estate agents and told doctors: "I don't know why but I felt an urge to eat the silverware – I could not help myself."

Medics also revealed it was not the first time that she had been treated for eating the cutlery.

They said she has been diagnosed as suffering from a borderline personality disorder that left her with an urge to eat cutlery and she was now getting therapy.

Doctors said there have reportedly been other cases as well of people being treated for the urge to eat unsuitable objects – but none that appear to have consumed quite as much cutlery in a single session.

They confirmed that the woman had only ever eaten forks and spoons – but never knives. They were unable to explain why.

The woman made a full recovery and is said to be responding well to her treatment for the obsession.

Source