Sign in to follow this  
Taliban

Eritrea bans female circumcision

Taliban   

Eritrea has banned the life-threatening practice of female circumcision, the Eritrean information ministry has said.

Anybody involved in female genital mutilation (FGM) would be punished with a fine and imprisonment, it said.

_39966364_somaliafgm_ap203bok.jpg

Female circumcision is widespread in many parts of Africa

The move follows a campaign against the practice by the National Union of Eritrean Women, which says more than 90% of Eritrean women are circumcised.

FGM typically involves removing the clitoris and FGM supporters argue that it helps prevent promiscuous behaviour.

The practice is widespread in many parts of Africa and the Middle East.

Women carry out the surgery as part of an initiation rite to adulthood.

It is known to be a very painful practice that sometimes leads to excessive bleeding, infection, trauma and difficulties in childbirth.

"Female circumcision is a procedure that seriously endangers the health of women, causes them considerable pain and suffering besides threatening their lives," the government proclamation said.

"Whosoever requests, incites or promotes female circumcision by providing tools or any other means and whosoever, knowing that female circumcision is to take place or has taken place, fails without good cause, to warn or inform the proper authorities promptly, shall be punishable with a fine and imprisonment," it continued.

The ban came into force on 31 March, the information ministry said.

FGM is outlawed in a number of African countries, but laws are rarely enforced.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6527619.stm

Taliban   

The move follows a campaign against the practice by the National Union of Eritrean Women, which says more than 90% of Eritrean women are circumcised.

More than 90%? :eek:

Aisha   

I never knew it was that common in eritrea!!! Shows you how little knowledge I have about my own country...

Taliban   

Originally posted by *Aisha*:

I never knew it was that common in eritrea!!! Shows you how little knowledge I have about my own country...

I think in terms of percentage, FGM is more prevalent in Eritrea than Somalia. I mean, many urban Somalis no longer practice FGM, plus certain Somali groups never practiced it. Nevertheless, this ban is a very positive development. FGM isn't from Islam, therefore, it should never be practiced.

Thank the lord!!!!!!!! finally, I hope it stops everywhere.....I dont understand how people can continue to do this......I guess peoples prayers are working.

Thank the lord!!!!!!!! finally, I hope it stops everywhere.....I dont understand how people can continue to do this......I guess peoples prayers are working.

horray for single mothership increases!! why dont we study fgm first instead of just throwing it in garbage! hey it worked for centuries. u cant deny that.

look at the ladies these days! they wacked so they get divorced left n right. our mothers lived with fgm and they are cool! word. dont u think that kinda help them!! my 2c.

Taliban   

Originally posted by sweet_gal:

.....I dont understand how people can continue to do this......

For some people, dhaqan is sacrosanct. They argue their ancestors practiced it, therefore they must practice it. These people dearly value their dhaqan and disregard Islam.

BOB   

Originally posted by Taliban:

plus certain Somali groups never practiced it.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Care to elaborate on that my brother? if you don't mind that is...because I was told that all Somalis practiced it regardless of background & tribe...I lived amongst Bajunis & Arabs who used to practice it even though most Somalis believed that they never circumcised their girls...

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Taliban   

Originally posted by *BOB:

Salam Aleikum W.W

Care to elaborate on that my brother? if you don't mind that is...because I was told that all Somalis practiced it regardless of background & tribe...I lived amongst Bajunis & Arabs who used to practice it even though most Somalis believed that they never circumcised their girls...

Wa aleikum salam W.W. It's not feasible all Somalis would practice FGM; there's always an exception to the rule. Suffice to say there are Somali groups who never practiced FGM, and they hail from the minorities of both gibil cad and non-gibil cad. I would even go further and say there are some who hail from the majority who didn't practice FGM out of its non-compliance with Islam.

Rudy it doesn't matter to you anyways since you're destined to marry Britney aka Cheese'n'steak...Loser.

"this ban is a very positive development. FGM isn't from Islam, therefore, it should never be practiced"

Taliban I can agree with you for once smile.gif

Taliban   

Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

Taliban I can agree with you for once

Good, 'cause my effort to Talibanize you is bearing fruits. :D

Manshallah indeed,

This practice is not in line with islam like our brother taliban stated before and therefore should not be practiced. it will be very hard to enforce a similar ban in somalia and somaliland because it is mainly practiced in pastoral and nomadic sections of our countries but has been decreasing in the urban communities for a long time. i see it being easily removed in those sections but cant see it happening in the truly nomadic and pastoral communities where it is part and parcel of their Dhagan.

Peace