Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Mali Music

All Mali Music lovers( if there is any here in Sol), share any your fav artists...da oldies n newbies and any links to Mali Music.

I like world music hour on Putumayo. Feautures Mali Songs.

web page

i wouldnt understand the somali songs even if i tried lol, so i dont know any what-so-ever!!!

u need western songs....holla at moi :D

ScarFace   

^^^^I bet your hip-hoppin to country an western songs......

I dont even think i have any favourite somali artist... :confused:

Maf Kees   

:D @ Mali Music. Good one sahib.

I'm busy exploring my people's music (Somali that is). I'm not planning to add some extra weight. But Youssou N'Dour and Salif Keita are my favorite Malinese artists.

hodman   

Are any of you guys familiar with a band called called Tinariwen? Their music is so amazing and beautiful

Tahliil   

I don't think music, i.e. any good music has borders at all...taste that is all you need to dig a good piece of Music...I promise you this thou, I would never listen to these Yare Boys (Omar yare, Ahmed yare, Jama Yare, Farah yare, Salad Yare, Mahad Yare, did I mention Omar yare) I won't listen to them at all no matter how hard they try and how many times they sing those Sahro Ahmed lyrics over and over and over again...do something original…be creative...for once

Sorry for getting sidetracked...I am a big, big fan of Mali music; superb and absolutely full of soul...I’ve been listening to Mali, watching and enjoying its music for almost five years now…a school paper led me to it and since that day I became (for lack of a stronger word) hooked…there are tens to choose from and I am sure one of these musicians if not all will serve to your taste…I hope you’ll try the great Mali musician, that first hypnotic voice which lured and seized me forever:

It was this women Mrs. Oumou Sangare, her self-titled album (Oumou and her other one Ko sira), listen to Ko Sira and doesn’t she sound like a young Magool?

Ali Farka Touri; an international star (the Mohamed Suleiman of Mali). He recently passed away…

Keletigui Duabate, big star from the Delta area, I think.

Salif Keita (more like our Suleiman and Samatar in one…nice music)

Rokia Traore (I borrowed her CD fro a local public library and she was amazing too)

there is something about women Mali singers, they all have such angelic, touching and incredibly soothing voice…

Mama Sossoko, his latest album will most likely remind you or would lead you to Habib Kioto..

Good taste, May I ask you though what led you to?

Traditional Mali music sounds remarkably similar to Somali qaraami, don't you think? I can't say I'm a big fan, but I had the fortunate luck to hear some lovely Mali music on TV (Later with Jools Holland- BBC2).

AYOUB   

^^ Oumou Sangare's (below) performance on that show was memorable indeed.

SangareOumou.jpg

Tahliil and Che

Glad to know i'm not the only member who's 'hooked' to the rythms of Mali. smile.gif The first time I heard of the music was while listening to radio show when the presenter played Ali 'farka' Toure (Allah ya raxma) and Lobi Traore - DUNIYA and that was that..

PS The amazing blind couple Amadou and Miriam deserve a mention too.

FatB   

been browsing the web for somali music downloads but cant find any...anyone of uz now a site or a link?

Tahliil....Somali music stopped evolving, and came to complete standstill just like everything in Maryooleyland. Anyway, I didn't think I was gonna meet a bigger Mali music fan. It is an enchanting music , almost addictive. N you are right about women singers.Gets you going... :D

Ayoub....You ain't alone buddy. I love da blind couple.Their music get you moving.

Hodman....I have heard one song (Ammassakoul N Tenere)of Tinariwen. They sound pretty good actually.They play Touareg music, more contemporary style. Here is link about them with couple of samples.

web page

Ahura....Traditional Mali reminds of Xamari music for some reason. Just listen to da sample at this link web page Reminds me of Aweys Khamiis. Mali music is diverse as there are diffirent ethnic groups with their own unique musical traditions. Similarities with Somali music would be found in all these traditions.

I was actually listening to Hamza El Din today.web page . I thought his music was similiar to Somali Qaraami. Maybe it is Oud/Kaban thing.

Free Music people. Unfortunately don't have much of Mali music though.

web page

Jamilah   

Originally posted by ScarFace:

I dont even think i have any favourite somali artist... :confused:

Neither do I unless of course I include K'naan :D