Che -Guevara

In a revealing interview with Ali Mahdi

galbeedi   

It is a good revealing interview, yet he did cover the real truth about his ill gotten money.

Some us welcome his regrets and mistakes in a couple of major events:

First, former president Ali Mahdi accepted the blame of allowing a corrupt politician Cumar Carte for dismantling the national army. It was the most significant move that created the security vacuum and allowed the tribal rebels to replace the state.

Later, Donald Remsfield copied that idea and destroyed Iraq by dismantling the 400,000 Iraq army and paved the sectarian conflict that is still raging in that country. Yet, Cali Mahdi and Manifesto failed to invite and bring to the table the armed rebels, mainly SNM, USC of Aideed and others which eventually led to catastrophic events.

The second point is that unlike many other Somalis, especially in the North East and North west, the HAG community doesn't abide or flow the tribal logic of the Somali clans. It shows despite their anarchist tendencies, the HAG community are not tribal like most Somalis . Over 300 members of the HAG clan convened in Mogadishu and could not find a verdict about the competing leadership of Ali Mahdi and Aideed, which means the traditional tribal norms are not strong in Mogadishu which might mean a blessing for the future of the Somali people.

Waxa uu yidhi waa boog ku taala HAG. In my opinion these two statements are the most honest about interview. I also agree with him that the dumping of nuclear waste in Somali waters to be baseless and unfounded. As Ali Mahdi said, the Somalia of 1992 did not had the capacity to deny anyone of dumping toxic waste. 

Furthermore, he is correct that the October revolution had the advantage of taking power from a system that was developed from 1950-1969. Yet, his simplistic explanations of the support Somalis had given to the Kacaan was shallow at best. The phenomenon of the October revolution was a wind of change that engulfed many African nations in the sixties. Very prominent leaders of the continent were deposed by coups. Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana, the leader of Pan-African movement, Ahmed Ben Bella of Algeria, and Lampuba of Zaire were among the victims of the coups of the sixties. Somalia was not different from those nations who fell under the military. Also, communist dictatorship was the only way to keep the power in  African, Asian and even Europe.

Of course the Somalia of 1960-69 was a goal oriented, rising nation, yet the Somali people were disappointed by the competing interest of the ruling class. By the election of 1969, Somalia had 80 parties, and after the election was over , except C/risaq H.huseen, they all joined the ruling SYL after the election. 

Part of the blame was the revolving door of the Italian system Somalis have inherited. In Italy from 1945-90, they had more than 40 governments, and some of them last barely few months. It is the same system that is grappling our country where prime ministers are replaced every 12 months. 

Yet, no one can deny the euphoria Somalis had shown for the Kacaan in 1969.

Back to the interview.

While Cali Mahdi had offered and accepted some of the earlier mistakes, he did not refute or explain his ill gotten money during the rule of then president C/laahi Yusuf. He reveals that he was the one who brought the $32 million reconciliation dollars or Saudi bribes supposed to buy support for the TNG..

He accepts his share of the millions given to him. He said,  he spend over 4. 5 million dollars to house and cook some food  for the Somali elders for a week in makeshif Halane compound. He said the $ 2 million of his share of the bribe was stolen by the man who supposed to deliver to him. People who were close to C/laahi Yusuf government told me that Cali Mahdi too $8 million of the money. So far he revealed 6.5 million.Yet, a man who was wiling to take home 2 million dollars of bribe had given back $4000 dollars he stole in 1968. I do not buy that. " War garaad dhaama jira"

Ali Mahdi also flowed another scheme used by corrupt Somali politicians and looters to hide their ill gotten theft. Usually, they use their wives or their children to hide their money. 

" Xaaskayga ayaa hotelka iska leh" .

Lately, we have found out that the wife of one the former presidents who used to sell gasoline in a retail shop in Mogadishu , is now a multi millionaire business woman who owns big buildings. 

well, Mr Mahdi should take off his dark glasses and tell the real truth. 

• Thanks 1

galbeedi   

Saalax,

Usually, the money especially those from the gulf is divided among corrupt politicians in Mogadishu.

InshAllah, we will discuss more about the incoming auction in Mogadishu early next year.

It is going by far the most expensive auction in the world. Just to put your name in the House , you must deposit $20,000 dollars. Running for a seat will cost over $100,000. 

Aduunka ma jirto meel sidan dadka loo kala iibsado. Sayladani 20 sanadood ayey socotaa,

what a shame. 

• Thanks 1

galbeedi   

Che,\

It also shows that the typical Somali is Loyal to his clan despite the evidence.

Even though he revealed a lot Cali Mahdi lied willfully in this interview. He said to be willing to give up power within one year, yet he claimed to be president as late as 1997 during the Egyptian conference in Cairo.Gurigiisa markii la bililiqaystay ayuu Dubai iska tagay.

The astonishing thing is why a 75 years old man who should retire and spent the rest of his life to build bridges among communities is starting a business venture at this age.We have very strange culture in Somalia. Every crook will recite the Quran and then lie in your face. Have you seen Daahir Calasaw recite Hadis and Quran before he starts insulting eveyone.

5 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Che,\

It also shows that the typical Somali is Loyal to his clan despite the evidence.

Even though he revealed a lot Cali Mahdi lied willfully in this interview. He said to be willing to give up power within one year, yet he claimed to be president as late as 1997 during the Egyptian conference in Cairo.Gurigiisa markii la bililiqaystay ayuu Dubai iska tagay.

The astonishing thing is why a 75 years old man who should retire and spent the rest of his life to build bridges among communities is starting a business venture at this age.We have very strange culture in Somalia. Every crook will recite the Quran and then lie in your face. Have you seen Daahir Calasaw recite Hadis and Quran before he starts insulting eveyone.

Who is 75? ALI Mahdi is early 90s

Few years ago he said he is 89

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

13 hours ago, galbeedi said:

While Cali Mahdi had offered and accepted some of the earlier mistakes, he did not refute or explain his ill gotten money during the rule of then president C/laahi Yusuf. He reveals that he was the one who brought the $32 million reconciliation dollars or Saudi bribes supposed to buy support for the TNG..

He accepts his share of the millions given to him. He said,  he spend over 4. 5 million dollars to house and cook some food  for the Somali elders for a week in makeshif Halane compound. He said the $ 2 million of his share of the bribe was stolen by the man who supposed to deliver to him. People who were close to C/laahi Yusuf government told me that Cali Mahdi too $8 million of the money. So far he revealed 6.5 million.Yet, a man who was wiling to take home 2 million dollars of bribe had given back $4000 dollars he stole in 1968. I do not buy that. " War garaad dhaama jira"

I know for a fact he had stolen a lot in that bogus shirka dib u heshiisiinta in 2007. I know this because my older brother and his friend ku xigeenkiisa ayuu ahaa. Meesha shaah ayaa lagu cabay shirkaas.

He also says he had 'returned' the funds he had stolen from dowladda dhexe in 1960s after he had an epiphany in 2012. What he did not mention was he only returned the exact amount that was in 1968 in US dollars without mentioning the cumulative inflation rates.

Anyway, I have a soft spot for Cali Mahdi, especially compared to that other infamous, fanatical qabqable ishayeen in early '90s.

galbeedi   
5 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

Who is 75? ALI Mahdi is early 90s

Maakhiri1,

I judged by his own words which is probably another lie. He said, in 1968, when he stole the 25,000 Somali Shillings, he was in his twenties. I just added 52 years.

Hannibal   
12 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

It is unbelievable , Gov should arrest him and confiscate his ill-gotten properties 

If you hold every other politician in Somalia to the same standard, 99% would be in jail.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd support imprisoning Ali Mahdi for the rest of his life.

10 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Maakhiri1,

I judged by his own words which is probably another lie. He said, in 1968, when he stole the 25,000 Somali Shillings, he was in his twenties. I just added 52 years.

the guy is example of what is wrong with SOMALIA, the whole place is rotten, and he is small  TUUG compare to Hassan Culusow, and others

I can post there was another interview , about two years ago, he is saying he is 89.,  more than half of what he is saying is false, and worse part he has admirers, 

Khadafi   

Revisionist history is occuring in Somalia and what is being said is the truth. Those who have have nostalgia for Siyaad Barrre era failed to realise that his regime was corrupt and deeply clanish in its last days. Listen carefully to what Cali Mahdi  said. He said that Barre regime  jailed democratic elected people  from 1969 people.. Among those people who were cose to me was the late famous human rights lawyer AVokaate Maxamed Raajis. Two people elected from mogadishu during the last democratic election, The late Jimcaale and avokaate Maxamed Raajis. Both of these two people represented the demographic landscape of Banaadir at that time.

AUN Avokaate Maxamed Raajis was jailed the likes of Egal and many others. Barre had a tendency to make people join his kacaan after jailing them.  After 5 years of jail, the late lawyer who never thought the regime would last for 21 years was immedietely taken to Villa Somalia and met Barre. Both of them knew each other and were friends during the italian colonial era.  Barre AUN told him about the conditions of the countrey and said he wanted the lawyer AUN to lead wasaarada Cadaalada. Out of principle the late lawyer said he wished to continue his private office and declined the offer. Barre became angry and lashed out in clannish statement and said "war dadkiina banaadiriga wax deeop ma jiro miyaa". 

While Mengistu  saved Ethiopia and did not open weapons arme depots to the  Amhara in Gondar and Bahdri Dahr Barre armed Amhara and kept the Ethiopian army in command while fleeing the countrey Barre AUN did the opposite.  Cali Mahdi is honest when he said that the maanifesto group were the ones who made the Barre regime illegtimate in the eyes of the Somali people.  Among those who signed and who remained in Mogadishu and who was second in the name signatures was Avokaate Maxamed Raajis.  And indeed as Cali Mahdi said the group had a meeting with Barre and promised him that if he stepped down he would be among the respected leaders of Somalia. He agreed to the terms.   The next day while everyone was awaiting his response of stepping down and handing over power he made his infamous bizarre radio adress encouraging "somalis "BEERAHA FALAHA".

The critique that could be made  against Cali Mahdi and the USC was he was unable to compromise. If he lacked the military power to tackle Aideed why not then hand over government to Aideed and in orderly fashion and have fresh elections. If Mogadishu was  secured the whole of Somalia would be secure.    But the question remains. Whould the ADHD. Aideed be a man that could bring Somalis together or whould he be Barre on steriods?.

One thing is sure. Barre failed while Mengistu had the greater perspective of saving his nation. Think about that!