Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

Londoners...You are all invited to the First Annual Somali Charity Ball

-Lily-   

Hello everyone,

I was reading a copy of 'HELLO' magazine today during my lunch hour, nothing particularly new or fascinating. So there I am reading along when I come across a party cover of Tatler’s Little Black Book Party, the idea behind it is to introduce young rich spoiled brats to other eligible young rich spoiled brats (heiresses, lords etc. If they have trouble meeting people then God help the rest). Anyway, I read along and became increasingly envious that they had a respectable fun place to meet other like minded people. I thought back to comments made by my girlfriends complaining about how they are never exposed to situations where they can meet like-minded men

I mean weddings/ruwayads and clubs are hardly places one can have a decent conversation. So I was thinking how fab it would be if we had a nice respectable annual party for fellow like minded Somali professionals and hard working young men and women alike. That was my first thought.

This would be an all out 'do', I mean black ties, glittering jewellery and evening dresses/diracs. Entertainment, full course dinner and coffe/coversation area for those who are not into music.

I thought some more it did not somehow seem eligible enough, a party just to meet other people. I had the idea that we could donate some of the money from the tickets as well as taking any donations offered on the night. If they were reasonably priced, a certain percentage could go towards respected and registered Somali charity each year (and there are good ones out there eg. sending books back home for schools). We could invite prominent members of the Somali community, like journalists/poets/musicians etc. as guests of honours, and while it is a Somali event we could nonetheless invite any other guests of honours who would be willing to donate.

It would be strictly for over 18 year olds (or better yet 20)and up to 35. It would be without the fights and the overcrowding. Am I getting ahead of myself or is anyone else interested? Your opinions would be valued. This is just an idea and I need the machinery to make it come to life.

It would need planners and organisers on a big scale. Especially if you are in London, if you are not your comments are still valued but organise your own icon_razz.gif .

I'm listening, or more like reading...

dawoco   

I was with u until the mention of a donation icon_razz.gif

Nice idea sis, it sounds just the thing, asians already have this and it would be a great way to network, if anything.

With us somalis the hardest thing isn't coming up with a great idea, but actually putting words to action, so if u are going to go ahead with this keep us informed and we might get off our lazy arses and getinvolved It sounds absolutely fabulous sis.

NGONGE   

Heh. How about including speed dating next?

Man: Naaaya, you look good!

Woman: Bax waraya!

:D

Sorry. Carry on...

Diamante   

sounds terrific.... getting exited of the prospect of wearing a dirac again

first thing you would have to do is figure out how much your budget is....is going to be a big bash or someting intimate....how many people to invite etc

then second look for the type of venue/place/hall u would use, how much it would cost you...meeqo qof ayee deeqdaa...eventhough u gave out one ivitation card per person u know they will try and sneak hooyadood, habaryaro, adeero, ayeeyo etc :D

then the catering....how about everyone brings packed lunches/dinners....great money saver, plus no complaints afterwards....u know how somalida are...markey wax kasta dirqijiyaan, ayee wax kasheegaan :rolleyes: lol...or u could ofcourse go for the whole kaboodle...maincourse/dessert n everything.

damn i could go on and on...soo u keep us posted...will try and come up with more ideas

skips out exitedly, thinking about which colour dirac to wear

-Lily-   

Thanks for the response, but like I said the idea is in its infancy. I cannot estimate anything because I have not got an idea of how many people would be interested. Besides, the donation on the night would be optional, but the main idea was that a % of the ticket price would most definately go towards a somali charity.

Anyone who would like to take part could PM me. Maybe we can find a bunch of ppl who are willing to help organise it. I know how our culture functions so you should all start off with a good ressitance to pessimisim. smile.gif

BN   

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

It would be strictly for over 18 year olds (or better yet 20)and up to 35.

I was with you until you made notice of the age limit. When will the 35 to 65 bash be held? :D

OG Moti   

Discrimination.... why only londers, naga taga...and dawaco stingy big time, baxi waxii ilaahey kusiiyey.. wait the minute i dont think anyway you are qualified to attend, I remember a year ago you were 15 and half that makes u now 16 and half.. stay home ...

Allah kariim

PEace

LANDER   

A gathering of Somali yupies, never thought I'd see the day. It's too bad y'all having this event in London else I would've crashed your formal affair with my jeans and white-T :D .

N.O.R.F   

A gr8 idea, but i wouldnt invite too many 'well known' gust speekers, they bring baggage. Black tie affairs are usually boring so spice it up with fancy dress :D i will be coming as huggy bear :D

But a good idea still

N.O.R.F   

I would propose final year students and last year's graduate are invited with a few tickets for friends, if you invite anyone whos anyone then it will be boring and you will not achieve what you set out to do. A nice hall, open atmosphere with 50ppl max and me as the speeker.

Dalinyaro, waxan idin yidhi,,,,,,,

Waterlily I must admit this is agreat idea not only to come together as Somalis for somali causes but also to do something that most of us have excluded ourselves from. Time we put the money where our mouths are and try to create an Idea that can make adifference to many Somalis both home and away. A charitable get together is trully agood cause but lets hope the differences amongst Somalis in Diaspora which is alot is forgotten for the bigger future picture of this and future generations.

Here to help by all means.. ;)

hey guys can anyone tell me where exactly this will take place and when?.

Is this going to be a black tie do?

what is the cost involved?

How many people are you roughly expecting?.

Let me know