Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Ramadhan Treats - Whats on your plate?

Iikaadi bal, aan soo xasuustee waagii aan hooyadeey la joogay! Allaahu mustacaan:

The setting looked like full of plates parking in the middle of the mat, 'sijaayad, ama darinta weyn', each plate bragging about the unique flavor it has against the other. Waiting the call of the Aadaan, everyone is hasty, brushing and cleaning teeth. Some are taking abolutions, others are talking about Jiirooniga, the annual soccer tournaments ciyaalka xaafada of different neighborhoods arrange for the month. As is the norm, when our sisters finish the cooking operation that starts early in the Casar time when the sun is still hot, our father divides us into three groups, each group receiving a fair portion of the meal. Young kids circle, who didn't fast but always compete for eating as much Sambuus as they can by transcrossing sometimes to the no-fly-zone of the Marti, because that was the rule. What a Ceeb, when the marti loudly says to a socod-barad kid, "Kaalay nala cuna saxankeena ma dhameen karnee!" The kids should be confined in that corner, but you know a typical family in Somalia who exceeds a dozen, amazenly from one mother. The girls circle headed by our mom, funny enough sometimes how little they eat out of adhering to the long-standing belief of "gabdhaha cunto badan ma cunaan." I wish the obesity-inflicted western girls would understand the wisdom behind what that golden dietary means. The third eating circle is the fasting-age boys, supervised by our father, who says before the end of the food, "the old sons should leave here for the young ones", and that always happens when we're not even near to our fills, but wishfully thinking that the next round, which is the saxuur will soothe our unsatisfieble hunger. Sometimes we come back to the home during Taraawiix and may sneak to the kitchen, looking for any edibels forgotten or reserved for someone, but sometimes the sounds of the digsi lid slipping mistakenly from our hands makes us in the minds of the sisters that are Dooliyaal in kitchen working hard to take advantage in the absense of them. "Waryaa maxaad sameyneeseen?", the sisters say angrily. And we respond with maraq dripping our hands, or quickly ingesting the last mouthful cantuugo, "Waxaa jikada iiga dhex lumay nooh". The hunger, the joy that arrives with the sunset, the people, the mood, the overall atmosphere of the city in the course of the Ramadan, are all missed in my 10 years fasting, marked this one, out of Somalia.

Environment matters when it comes to Ramadan, and more than that, family that you share with the bliss and the spiritual joy, makes Ramadan a reality that one always expects the next Ramadan.

Iga daa ha isoo xasuusine!

Nephissa   

I don't make Sambusa. Can't stand the deep fried odor it leaves behind. Absolutely dreadful. My place just smells like the perfume i'm wearing, or the candles i'm burning usually.

No bur-bur & saliid saliid for me. I break it with bowl of oatmeal, orange juice, and spaghetti for dinner. Simple!

Originally posted by Naku Penda Piya:

I don't make Sambusa. Can't stand the deep fried odor it leaves behind. Absolutely dreadful. My place just smells like the perfume i'm wearing, or the candles i'm burning usually.

No bur-bur & saliid saliid for me. I break it with bowl of oatmeal, orange juice, and spaghetti for dinner. Simple!

Why don't you admit that you can't make a single sanbuus? Markaas ayaa flagrance iyo aroma ku marsiyoonee. I can ship you some from Curuba, though.

Originally posted by Naku Penda Piya:

If only my family would be satisfied with that. :(

-Lily-   

We have sambus on weekedends. I like to eat light food such as brown bread, cheese, fruits, salad. Sambus is fun but you will miss out on lots of nutrition if you stuff yourself with burr the whole month. I like to eat once, after afur I'm done till the next day. I hate praying tarawiix on a full stomach.

don't make Sambusa. Can't stand the deep fried odor it leaves behind. Absolutely dreadful. My place just smells like the perfume i'm wearing, or the candles i'm burning usually.

No bur-bur & saliid saliid for me. I break it with bowl of oatmeal, orange juice, and spaghetti for dinner. Simple

Well, you can always come to "Abaayo Karoon" a.k.a. maqaayad/maqaaxi where you will be served by a faarax free of deep fried odor!

About what is on my plate, I do not have a plate, dont need one icon_razz.gif

Sky   

I hate praying tarawiix on a full stomach.

Tell me about it, I've witnessed more than once people puking during Salaat in the mosque. Its always the same scenario, a boy pukes when he is about to bow down and embarrassed as he is runs away during Salaat, making others clean up his vommit. Generally when that happens, even the oldest can't hold in their laugh. Istaqfurullah.

Sheh, I salute you. Ive still havent got the courage to eat Doriani , its a delicacy in Zanzibar too. I just let my mum enjoy it. The smell :(

Hehe, seems Sambusas are the number Uno delicacy in Ramadhan.

The sijui way of Ramadhaan ..

I would prefer the other meat apertives , meat patties (sambusas are also widely consumed) the sijuis know the mkate wa nyama, or the ovened mincemeat bread (some call it meat loaf but it not like the english one As it doesnt have pastry instead the base is made of mash potatoes and you have mincemeat, grated carrot,green pepper and spices mixed with the yoke of egg then baked. You later serve by cutting it into cubes. So it isnt like a shephards pie either.)

Other must's are the 'kaymati', bajias, fish cakes (patties), kashories, plastiki (sliced potatoes in the middle a thin layer of chilly sauce covered in gram flour then fried) meat chop, egg chop. Light on the stomach and you can join tarawiih easily.

For main course, you can have maraq, rice,basto, potatoes or bananas cooked in coconut milk(sometimes mixed with meat), sweet potatoes, Alot of bread types , chapatis, mkate wa Ufuta(sesame bread, coconut milk is added), mandazi is consumed in Ramadhaan. If your from the coastal towns you have a fish feast, samaki wa kupaka (grilled fish then sauce is spread on top and let to dry), fried fish, octopus isnt consumed in ramadhaan as far as I remember but squid is, fried squid or ringlets tasty.

As for desert, ramadhaan Musts were fruit salads, Faluda, custard, homemade caramel pudding, pumpkin/ sweet potatoes or mumunya(dont know its english name looks like courgette)in coconut milk seasoned with cardamom (hiliki). Mkate wa kumimina, chila/vibibi, vilosa(All of them made from grounded rice and coconut milk the cooking style differs). The list never ends. Man, I feel hungry already. And alot of fresh juices are consumed.

The native Swahilis love opening fast with Ujii (porridge) spicy and yummy and soft on the stomach. And there are different types.

I only cook (properly) in Ramadhaan when I have freinds over. As for myself I like having a light iftaar something like a breakfast snack , dates, fruits, water a sandwich. Around 10 ish, I can decide to eat something else and it aint special. While on duty or invited over at peoples place we have the full course meal. Turks cant go without soup(my favorite lentil soup), then main course and desert. And they are very hospitable, youve got to be careful you can end up overfeed. And in Ramadhaan they have this special bread >Ramadhaan pidesi reminds me of the Mkate of Ufuta (Sesame bread common in East Africa or the Mkate wa Mofa).

Guess thats enough,for today.

Kashafa   

^^Speakin of Turkey, Is it true that you're 'encouraged' not to fast ? 'in spirit with the secular nature yadda yadda' Can't pin down the source but heard it more than once.

Bur Bur= 2 Bur's

Saliid Saliid= 2 Saliid's

Bur Bur= 2 Bur's

Saliid Saliid= 2 Saliid's

Still dont get it. Can you please translate instead.

Turkey, well its a 'modern' state. Those who fast do so in hiding do not want to be noticed, unfortunately. And figures of authorities especially in Universities do have a tendency of offering students refreshments. Its 'IN' to be seen drinking refreshmsnts, smoking or eating during Ramadhan in the cities. When you visit the countryside most of the people keep to the Islamic rulings.

All I can say since Erdogan took over, during the month of Ramadhan more respect and tolerance to the Muslim followers is shown. Though the media like to make sarcastic remarks on the fact that members of the party fast and pray in the govt buildings. Who prayed, who stood next to who, who appeared at the iftaar dining meeting etc. matters of no Islamic significance but have political undertones. Ah, we are in weird times.

WOL, dont mind Kashafa, he prolly couldn't think straight as he is having a nostalgia seeing bur and saliid.

Saliid=oil or cooking oil

Bur=corn flower, flour

There is also bur-saliid which is obviously a mixture of these 2 and some other stuff. More like Mandazi

Kashafa   

WOL, that is one seriously messed up situation in Turkey. We need a Reverse Attaturk to undo the effects of 80+ years of secular rule. Ramadan Kareem to all my representing Akhs and Ukhts in the Land of the Kali-Fate.

Pucca   

Ramadhan Treats - Whats on your plate?

since ramadan starts tomorrow...how bout i let you know what's on my plate after iftaar? sounds good...good.