Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Ramadhan Treats - Whats on your plate?

Qac Qaac   

sambuus and malawax of course as many of u guys said..

but guys don't over eat, that u get lazy for salat tarawih and ibadahs.. just an advice.. coz i think, most of us would hit the bed after eating that nice iftar..

Senora   

^^Good Point^^

My Ramadhan this year will be an interesting one! I've become a vegetarian, and reading a few of the posts reminds me of the discomfort I'll endure at the dinner table this month. :(

Oh well!

p.s. Ramadan Karim

p.s.s. My decision to be a vegetarian is not in any way against the killing of animals. Its just a healthy alternative :cool:

-Lily-   

supuu you can have veggie sambuus. patato filled ones and all type of ones, we have fish in ours, haven't eaten a minced meat one for years.

im glad im not in turkey. but let them go on and on, now that there are talks to join the Eu they will be more desparate to appeare more european and thus less islamic. but i think its exactly this kind of course, when it runs its course, that will lead to an islamic revival. when ppl have had enough of empty success and promises. at least i hope so.

Today, had shurbaa, light on the stomach. Enjoyed my first Taraweeh. Alhamdullilah.

Regarding Turkey, there is a calm breeeze of neema with this EU mandate. Islam is reviving slowly and gradually. The problem with Turkey was religion and custom was mixed so people couldnt differenciate and thus alot of confusion. Now, more people are searching for the truth thus grassroot efforts are multiplying. The only problem is which Islamic group (Jamaat) gives the training. As there each group has different ideals. Some have apatriachal system similar to the Christians/jews> Their leader anytime soon can be in the ranks of the Prophets how he is idolised. There are the Ahlul Sunnah wal jamaa,the ailevis (alivites) a group with complex ideology(mix of christianity, sufism, you name it), you have the sufis..... list goes on.

Hope is there, I only pray that those who are practising Muslims become meek/kind in their approach to others as the majority act as if they are above the cream. Naseeha and kindness in words wins hearts. Have seen how most of my Muslimah freinds alienated themselves and looked down on others thus failed to pull others into the light. Instead pushed them away from Islam and Muslims.

WOL, u make me want to move to TZ just for the food. Yum.

To break my fast today I had:

chopped apple and orange segents thrown into Greek yoghurt, Rose syrup(mixed with a touch of water) poured over the mixture. Very refreshing.

For dinner I had:

Thai Fish Curry

It took me to Scrumsville, Gastronoma. smile.gif

^^Sister, what food are you talking about, it seems that youi are describing about the recipes of Maraq + Dooro iyo something like Basbaas, is that right? Why all the sisters would like to have excessive basbaas with all their meals?

I don't think that is healthy!

Mate, are u so hungry u're seeing chicken in my posts? Not once have I mentioned either chicken or maraq or excessive basbaas in the recipes I've recommended. I've mentioned prawns, fish and yoghurt and fruit- not healthy enough? Are u weak from hunger this Ramadan or weak in comprehension all year round?

Sincere   

Mate, are u so hungry u're seeing chicken in my posts?

Alla Beerka, you really cracked me up, and had me scroling up looking to see if you mentioned chicken .... Haji Alle-Ubaahne tartiib saxib, afuur is around the corner.

P.s Nothing beats Salmon for afuur, healthy and light

Pacifist   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Sheh, I salute you. Ive still havent got the courage to eat Doriani , its a delicacy in Zanzibar too. I just let my mum enjoy it. The smell
:(

Hehe, seems Sambusas are the number Uno delicacy in Ramadhan.

The sijui way of Ramadhaan ..

I would prefer the other meat apertives , meat patties (sambusas are also widely consumed) the sijuis know the mkate wa nyama, or the ovened mincemeat bread (some call it meat loaf but it not like the english one As it doesnt have pastry instead the base is made of mash potatoes and you have mincemeat, grated carrot,green pepper and spices mixed with the yoke of egg then baked. You later serve by cutting it into cubes. So it isnt like a shephards pie either.)

Other must's are the 'kaymati', bajias, fish cakes (patties), kashories, plastiki (sliced potatoes in the middle a thin layer of chilly sauce covered in gram flour then fried) meat chop, egg chop. Light on the stomach and you can join tarawiih easily.

For main course, you can have maraq, rice,basto, potatoes or bananas cooked in coconut milk(sometimes mixed with meat), sweet potatoes, Alot of bread types , chapatis, mkate wa Ufuta(sesame bread, coconut milk is added), mandazi is consumed in Ramadhaan. If your from the coastal towns you have a fish feast, samaki wa kupaka (grilled fish then sauce is spread on top and let to dry), fried fish, octopus isnt consumed in ramadhaan as far as I remember but squid is, fried squid or ringlets tasty.

As for desert, ramadhaan Musts were fruit salads, Faluda, custard, homemade caramel pudding, pumpkin/ sweet potatoes or mumunya(dont know its english name looks like courgette)in coconut milk seasoned with cardamom (hiliki). Mkate wa kumimina, chila/vibibi, vilosa(All of them made from grounded rice and coconut milk the cooking style differs). The list never ends. Man, I feel hungry already. And alot of fresh juices are consumed.

The native Swahilis love opening fast with Ujii (porridge) spicy and yummy and soft on the stomach. And there are different types.

I only cook (properly) in Ramadhaan when I have freinds over. As for myself I like having a light iftaar something like a breakfast snack , dates, fruits, water a sandwich. Around 10 ish, I can decide to eat something else and it aint special. While on duty or invited over at peoples place we have the full course meal. Turks cant go without soup(my favorite lentil soup), then main course and desert. And they are very hospitable, youve got to be careful you can end up overfeed. And in Ramadhaan they have this special bread >Ramadhaan pidesi reminds me of the Mkate of Ufuta (Sesame bread common in East Africa or the Mkate wa Mofa).

Guess thats enough,for today.

Wol dada Khatara kabisa nothing bits samaki freshly made from bongoland and the Pilau.

Sis haven't heard the term ujii for the longest time ;)

Mkate Nyama isn't that Mkate mayaya?

Sky   

This thread should be locked during soonka. Its tempting me to eat in the cafetaria right now.