Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Ramadhan Treats - Whats on your plate?

Perhaps ironically, food is one of the most important elements of this fasting month.

It is a must for suhur in Somalia , Esse, of Toronto, Canada, said. Pakistanis enjoy special dishes such as 'pheni', thin vermicelli, and "khajla," chunky pieces made from flour served in sugared milk, which are available only during Ramadhan, Khan said.

Countries such as Tunisia, Libya, Somalia, and Algeria have their respective traditional soups every iftar. "The Libyan soup is one of the most celebrated menus in the month of Ramadhan. The rich and the poor both must have it," Ramadan said. In fact, without it, iftar feels incomplete, he said.

The Somali soup is called "mushaali" and can sometimes be as simple as milk, sugar and porridge, or as lavish as to include meats and vegetables. No matter which corner of Somalia you go to, you will find this a very important dish for iftar, Esse said.

Although the soup is often a meal onto itself, other dishes are also traditionally present, making the meal a multi-course one. Fried foods, such as the Tunisian boreek which are spring rolls stuffed with chicken, eggs, cheese, potatoes and spices, are common almost every day for iftar. Zelabaya, much like the Pakistani and Indian jalebi, maqrood, which is made out of semolina and dates, and other donut-like sweets dipped in honey are desserts eaten only in Ramadhaan or other special occasions, such as Eid, Amr said.

The Libyans enjoy Swiss chard stuffed with rice, meat and vegetables, luqmat al-qadi, which are fried dougli balls, zelabaya, qatayef and mahallabiyali, made out of rice flour and milk, Ramadan said.

Qamar ad-deen is a traditional Egyptian drink of Ramadhan made out of dried apricots. Desserts like baklava, konafi and qatayef are also very common.

In Southeast Asian countries such as Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, fried foods such as pakoray, samoosas, meat or potatoes enclosed in small triangular shapes of kneaded flour and fried, and chick peas are very popular iftar snacks. In Bangladesh, it is customary to have "mourri," rice crispies fried with onions, hot green peppers and salt, Razzaque said. They would also have lemon sherbet or salt lassi, a drink made of yogurt and milk, she recalled.

In Bosnia, a lot of cookies were made during Ramadhan, Cokic, of Belleville, N.J., remembered. On lailatul Qadr, they would make "halva," a soft cake-like dessert made from flour and sugar syrup, she said. They also have the special bread, lepina, during Ramadhan, said M.A. Tallawi, Benevolence International Foundation office manager stationed in Bosnia.

The variety of foods during Ramadhan reflects people's hope to celebrate it in the best special way. And, part of this celebration includes sharing iftar with those around us.

Source

------------------

Yum. What do you guy eat aside from the traditional samosa and burshiilshiil? And does anyone have time for family meals at iftar nowadays? Last year I always broke fast in class. Hopefully this year will be different. Salaam & Ramadhan Kariim

Sky   

Ramadhan Treats - Whats on your plate?

- maraq (tomatosoup) or suqaar (stew)

- sambuusi (eggrolls in the shape of a triangle)

- malawax (pancakes)

- bur/muufo

- timir (dates)

- digaag (spicy or honey-flavoured chicken wings)

- drink of mix milk/yoghurt and too much sugar

- softdrink

And than that every afur till Ciid.

Who said Ramadan is not easy? :cool:

La Femme for some bizarre reason I have lost my appetite lately. I don't eat until about 3pm and then too it's a force-feed scenario. Ramadan's imminent hunger will be easier to endure however I am worried there shall be nothing left of me by its end. Yesterday I saw bones I haven't seen for a long time. Having said that I do enjoy cooking- so long as I'm allowed to get creative. I don't like cooking for fussy people; it takes the adventure out of it. Yesterday I threw together this(because it was in the fridge)

Fry a whole onion lightly(slice the onions long and thin)

Add prawns, allow to cook

Add lots of mushrooms

Then heaps of creme fraiche

Salt and pepper to taste

Allow to simmer away

It was very quick and different(I couldn't hack the usual spices that overwhelm my cupboards). I threw it over rice although pasta would have been a better choice. I was starving by the time I ate it(the only way I can eat) and it was heavenly. I got a whole lot of dua from my friend for that one. smile.gif

^like the fungus that it is. Teehee. I will try all halal food but u will NEVER EVER get me to eat durian EVER again.

Cut down on shaah during Ramadan, it's a diuretic.

Muhammad   

^ durian? weligay ma maqlin.

thanks for the advice, i'll try and limit it to 1 at iftar time, and i'll do an oil change before suhur.

All the cooking is what I don't like about Ramadan. We never eat sambuus, but when Ramadan comes, all of a sudden no one can go without it.

I really hate cooking, and I especially hate cooking excessive amounts of food just in case someone drops by. And everyone wants a particular complicated dish but no one wants to cook them, so I to have to. Our household has a rule that nothing that can be cooked in 30 mins or less may be eaten during Ramadan.

Bleh, I hate sambuus, it's a bugger to make.

^ smile.gif Whole families would fall part if that triangular wonder wasn't on the menu during Ramadan.

Muhammed, durian described here. A snippet:

Due to the fruit's strong odour, it is forbidden to bring durians as hand luggage onto aircraft belonging to some airlines, to carry them on the Singapore public transit system, or to store or eat them in many hotels.

I get squint-eyed remembering the day I took the plunge. It was like eating a putrifying, sulphurous rubbish heap. To think I walked up to a woman eating it and asked if I could have a piece. I had to apologise over and over after nearly throwing up, spitting into my hands, spluttering, suffocating and drinking a half litre of water. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just me but a whole group of people I'd been sitting with had followed me and asked if they too could try the legendary fruit. There was a simultaneous scramble for the rubbish bin, gags, shouts, swearing and some ummms. One guy drooled over it but he was Malaysian and had probably grown up on it. The King of all fruits, he called it. The rest of us had to apologise to this stranger, having helped ourselves to her food and spewed it out unceremoniously.

Muhammad   

sheh, have you tried octopus yet?

A durian falling on a person's head can cause serious injuries or
death
because it is heavy, spiky, and may fall from high up, so a
hardhat
is essential when collecting the fruit.
Because of this, the durian is sometimes called the most dangerous fruit in the world.

waaba khatari saana.

SKY,

Yum. Can already taste it. I don't think I've made malawax since last Ramadhan. But thats the basic meal for every somali family I would think (your list).

*Soor

*Moos bukeeni

Sheh,

Sounds mouth watering. Too bad I can't cook to save my life. LOL. Is that from a cookbook or your head?

:D @ the bad fruit story. So sad. So mean. I would've been horrified. That should teach you not to try what you don't know sheh.

Xu,

Me too kindred spirit! But on Ramadhan we always make it at least enough for two more people, as folks tend to drop by unanounced. Family, friends, and sometimes we share with non-muslim neighbours. They love it. :D

Sky   

I never cook during Ramadan. I'm so weak before Afur, all I can do is hang around like a zombie, sleep or watch tv. But only the first bite brings me out of my coma. I'm so lucky I never have to cook. In my neck of the woods, cooking is women's job. Our job is to eat. And we better finish it or we have some angry ladies who have the power to make the rest of Ramadan unbearable.

After Taraawiix we get some pizza or eat baasto/bariis at home. I gain weight during Ramadan somehow.

M u h a m m a d

Yeah I don't drink coffee or tea! Can you believe this shit? I can't. But I better start drinking at last tea.

Muhammad, I have eaten octupus.

Femme, I knew that fruit was ehem intense- I'd read about it and smelled it b4 that day. I wanted once and for all wanted to know what it was like. The others around me hesitated but when they saw that I had the woman's consent, they followed me(5-6 of them). We all picked up our pieces, held them up and the rest was nausea inducing.

I can't believe that people can't cook! I see it as a necessary skill besides nothing beats eating something u have made to your taste buds. I cook everything I like: chapati, samosa(from scratch, including the dough), curries, pizza, khamiir(mandazi), baked chicken, salmon...

When I eat a new dish, I can pick out the ingredients added, go home and mimick it. I have had only one disaster- I used oyster paste over-liberally- and nearly passed out in the kitchen. A good idea is to taste as you cook and savour as u eat.

Hmm, pizza this weekend

Baluug   

C'mon Xu,even I can make sambuus!!That is the ultimate afur food.First water to break the fast,then a smoke,then it's time to DIG IN!!I'll usually get through 3 or 4 and then pray maghrib.Other than that,diet coke is the drink of choice,and beans and shishiid with bur, and maybe a little baasto after the food's all settled.By the way,Xu,don't worry,I won't kill you. smile.gif

Muhammad   

Originally posted Sky

Yeah I don't drink coffee or tea! Can you believe this shit? I can't. But I better start drinking at last tea.

at least a casariye. :D

Originally posted by sheherazade:

Muhammad, I
have
eaten octupus.

bes - the interview is over. next, you'll say 'I have eaten whale in a Tokyo Café'

nafta   

Actually, I have not got a favorite dish during Ramadan. Marba wax baan ku waalada.

However, one thing that gets my mouth watering is eating a sambuus rolled in malawax and dipped into mayonaise. Oh la la, tres tasty! It'll make your tastebuds go stir crazy.

Other treats that I indulge myself in;

- Sabayad

- Egg fried rice

- Yoghurt fruit drink (home made)

- Fruit salad

One of my new obsessions is something that my sis cooked for me last ramadan. I call it Nan Pizza (dunno the official name if it has any). Basically you make your regular baasto suugo then you put that inside your Nan bread. You stir an egg (or two, depends on how hungry you are) and you bake the egg over the nan bread. It's delish! ;)

Sheh .... That sounds delish, will defnitly try out your recipe smile.gif

Bleh, I hate sambuus, it's a bugger to make.

It's definitly not easy to make. I've only made it like once in my whole life and I can tell ya it did not resemble a sambuus at all. Now I just worry about eating it.

Ramadan Kariim All smile.gif